Probs with comp
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abhishek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 7:53 am    Post subject: Probs with comp Reply with quote

I;m having some probs with my comp. I was putting in a new 1800+, but it wasn't working. So then I tryed to revert back to my 1ghz tbird. Now it'll at least not turn off in 5 seconds, but POST wont complete either(dont hear the beeps). And all this just when i wanted to test 1,4 on a nice better comp:(. Could any1 help? To mods:Thought i shuldnt put this in hardware becuase it isnt like drivers or anything remotely gentoo related.
binbash
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a fried motherboard.. Are you sure you had all the jumpers set right ? Try taking out the cmos battery and shorting the bios jumpers to reset it ..
abhishek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, mb was worjking just fine before i started all this. Shouldi try just pulliong out the batt ofr a few mins? Forgot to mention, power light sdoesnt come on(checked connection).
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using metal standoffs (things your MB screw into/attach to tray/case)? If so, are they only touching where there are screw holes? Power supply connected to the MB completely?

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
abhishek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
Are you using metal standoffs (things your MB screw into/attach to tray/case)? If so, are they only touching where there are screw holes? Power supply connected to the MB completely?
Check to all of the above. Also it was working before, and i havent remounted it. I'm starting to think my mobo got fried sometime in the porcess, becuase from what i know, even if my cpu were fried, i shuld still see the power led, right?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

data_the_android wrote:
I'm starting to think my mobo got fried sometime in the porcess, becuase from what i know, even if my cpu were fried, i shuld still see the power led, right?
I've been out of the building loop for a while, but I think thats a good possibility. Also, it could be the PS that died. Oh... do you have any fuses? There might be on inside the PS, but be VERY careful if you open it.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
abhishek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have a new mobo that I can try, and i can hope my current mobo is still under warrenty. Don't want to do that though because thatd meen unmounting this and mounting that. Gotta feeling that if i haent fried my mobo yet i will unmonting it. Also have an old ps i can try, but i doubr that got fried in somehting simple like this, where i never touched the ps. Maybe i should pull that multimeterout again.(Hate checking the voltages on a ps though, cuz it takes soo long. Thnaks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: