Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Features you want but have no chance of getting.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
maystorm
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 02 Jun 2002
Posts: 213
Location: Germany, not far away

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Features you want but have no chance of getting.

Artifical intelligence, as in (Q is me, A is my gentoo-box):

Q: Hey, compie, I can't su? Tell me why.
A: 'Cause you're so damned stupid! It's all written in the documentation, buddy. But I tell you: "Be sure to be in group wheel".

AI is something I'm dreaming of. Having the computer watching what are you doing, e.g. setting up a new Gentoo system. While I'm emerging my packages my computer could already start looking for information in the net, and because he is so intelligent gently tell me here and there when I'm doing a mistake. And give me advises like this:

"Hey, buddy, are you sure that you want to emerge the standard linux kernel?? Why not taking the gentoo-sources? They give you much more value for your bucks!"

What a dream... :lol:
_________________
Linux user #216018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
n0n
Guru
Guru


Joined: 13 Jun 2002
Posts: 355

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Features you want but have no chance of getting. Reply with quote

leej wrote:
To be able to specify the editor used by textarea inputs on webpage forms.

set textarea_editor=vim

Not gonna happen in a million years. ;-)


Or so you think. http://freehackers.org/kvim/ Specifically here I refer to "What's an editor component?" from their FAQ. I was rather ecstatically happy when I noticed that on Freshmeat yesterday. Now, admittedly, this is just for KDE, but still. Cool, cool stuff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
abhishek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 28 Jun 2002
Posts: 393
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maystorm wrote:
Quote:
Features you want but have no chance of getting.

Artifical intelligence, as in (Q is me, A is my gentoo-box):

Q: Hey, compie, I can't su? Tell me why.
A: 'Cause you're so damned stupid! It's all written in the documentation, buddy. But I tell you: "Be sure to be in group wheel".

AI is something I'm dreaming of. Having the computer watching what are you doing, e.g. setting up a new Gentoo system. While I'm emerging my packages my computer could already start looking for information in the net, and because he is so intelligent gently tell me here and there when I'm doing a mistake. And give me advises like this:

"Hey, buddy, are you sure that you want to emerge the standard linux kernel?? Why not taking the gentoo-sources? They give you much more value for your bucks!"

What a dream... :lol:

IMO that sounds more like ur computer becoming a big ad. Next u go to amazon and are about to buy a book and it says hey while ur looking at perl, consider theese other books(whoever pays more is mentioned first).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
maystorm
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 02 Jun 2002
Posts: 213
Location: Germany, not far away

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, this interpretation is not what I meant... I'm sorry for my bad English then.
_________________
Linux user #216018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pigeon
Guru
Guru


Joined: 21 Jun 2002
Posts: 307

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Q: Hey, compie, I can't su? Tell me...


We already have that. We named him Bob. We kicked him the teeth and knocked his ass back onto the street.

I'd like to be able to run any piece of software on any piece of hardware powerful enough to handle it, independant of the OS. So until I can run at my full Windows framerate in Everquest on Gentoo I'm not happy.

And I'd like a search engine that finds exactly the piece of information I'm looking for and not come up 18 billion irrelevent and/or broken links in the process.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
maystorm
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 02 Jun 2002
Posts: 213
Location: Germany, not far away

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
And I'd like a search engine that finds exactly the piece of information I'm looking for and not come up 18 billion irrelevent and/or broken links in the process.

That's another good example where Artificial Intelligence would come in quite handy.
_________________
Linux user #216018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
maystorm
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 02 Jun 2002
Posts: 213
Location: Germany, not far away

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
We already have that. We named him Bob. We kicked him the teeth and knocked his ass back onto the street.

Sorry, I may miss your point. What has dumb Bob to do with Artificial Intelligence??
_________________
Linux user #216018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
carambola5
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 10 Jul 2002
Posts: 214
Location: Madtown, WI

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:26 am    Post subject: milkdrop (geiss) overlay desktop Reply with quote

You ever seen this on a Win machine? This is seriously intense. Now, I know you may be acquainted with the Geiss plug-in for Winamp, but MilkDrop is a bit different.

Not only does have all of the functions of Geiss (more advanced too!), but it also includes a desktop overlay feature. Basically, your desktop background becomes the visualization, with all your icons there as well as the taskbar. No more "just sitting here watching Geiss because it's the trippiest thing I've ever seen"! Now you can be semi-productive too!
_________________
Get Firefox!

Proper Web Development

I'm done at 999.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum