Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What's With All These Kits?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Posts: 1227
Location: Jefferson, USA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: What's With All These Kits? Reply with quote

ConsoleKit, DeviceKit, PolicyKit, PackageKit...

And here I thought HAL was new, apparently DeviceKit is the new thing...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 4199
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: What's With All These Kits? Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
ConsoleKit, DeviceKit, PolicyKit, PackageKit...

And here I thought HAL was new, apparently DeviceKit is the new thing...


my understanding of these *kit's is to abstract user/programmers away from Distro-specific settings/tweaks to hal/dbus/packagemanager/*
_________________
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sts
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 97

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. They were all developed by Fedora which is why they have the same naming scheme.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 09 Apr 2005
Posts: 2643
Location: Slovenia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAL is not new, it's being phased out actually, in favor of libudev.
DeviceKit is just an experiment, a temporary thing until libudev is ready. The only parts of DeviceKit that will remain are DeviceKit-disks and something else (can't remember what right now), but these will work on top of libudev.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Posts: 1227
Location: Jefferson, USA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about this one?

RootKit
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Posts: 1227
Location: Jefferson, USA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gusar wrote:
HAL is not new, it's being phased out actually, in favor of libudev.
DeviceKit is just an experiment, a temporary thing until libudev is ready. The only parts of DeviceKit that will remain are DeviceKit-disks and something else (can't remember what right now), but these will work on top of libudev.

So DeviceKit is a HAL that runs on top libudev (at some point in the future).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16117
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gusar wrote:
HAL is not new, it's being phased out actually
Funny, considering I don't think it achieved anywhere near what it was supposed to.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mrsteven
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 04 Jul 2003
Posts: 1900

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Gusar wrote:
HAL is not new, it's being phased out actually
Funny, considering I don't think it achieved anywhere near what it was supposed to.


Code:

<xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8">
 <fgopost version="0.0.1" unreadable="true">
  <sentence type="normal">
   <sentencepart>
    With a configuration syntax like this
   </sentencepart>
   <punctuationmark type="comma"/>
   <sentencepart>
    this is absolutely no wonder
   </sentencepart>
   <punctuationmark type="period"/>
  </sentence>
  <emoticon type="rolleyes"/>
 </fgopost>
</xml>

_________________
Unix philosophy: "Do one thing and do it well."
systemd: "Do everything and do it wrong."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16117
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsteven wrote:
Code:
...
XML for anything intended to be managed by people seems about as intelligent a decision as the GNOME HID Gestapo.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
truekaiser
l33t
l33t


Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Posts: 660

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsteven wrote:
pjp wrote:
Gusar wrote:
HAL is not new, it's being phased out actually
Funny, considering I don't think it achieved anywhere near what it was supposed to.


Code:

<xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8">
 <fgopost version="0.0.1" unreadable="true">
  <sentence type="normal">
   <sentencepart>
    With a configuration syntax like this
   </sentencepart>
   <punctuationmark type="comma"/>
   <sentencepart>
    this is absolutely no wonder
   </sentencepart>
   <punctuationmark type="period"/>
  </sentence>
  <emoticon type="rolleyes"/>
 </fgopost>
</xml>


and this is why i will keep the old xorg config style as long as possible.
_________________
"My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
—Saudi saying
Too late to do anything about it, so just sit back and enjoy the fireworks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 06 Dec 2006
Posts: 2477
Location: RIT, NY, US

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sts wrote:
Yup. They were all developed by Fedora which is why they have the same naming scheme.
webkit?
_________________
iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAA

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16117
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

truekaiser wrote:
and this is why i will keep the old xorg config style as long as possible.
So far I don't think I need an xorg.conf. I can't get my mouse to work (since Feb. actually), but it isn't XML related. I've made some progress tonight, but still no go.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
feliperal
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 09 Mar 2003
Posts: 168

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly_poly-man wrote:
sts wrote:
Yup. They were all developed by Fedora which is why they have the same naming scheme.
webkit?


Webkit was not developed by Fedora. It was a derivative spawned off by Apple Inc from the KHTML libs. It is continually being developed by the KDE Project, Apple Inc., Nokia, and Google.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sts
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 97

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feliperal wrote:
poly_poly-man wrote:
sts wrote:
Yup. They were all developed by Fedora which is why they have the same naming scheme.
webkit?


Webkit was not developed by Fedora. It was a derivative spawned off by Apple Inc from the KHTML libs. It is continually being developed by the KDE Project, Apple Inc., Nokia, and Google.


He knows, he was being a smartass.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum