take a bow devs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ilovebeer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: take a bow devs Reply with quote

i've been using vista a.k.a "not quite right" since december 08 when i got a usb wireless modem and the thing wouldn't work under linux so i was trapped in ms hell! now i've got the sierra 880u working with gentoo. hadn't updated gentoo since december 08... did an emerge --sync && results of "emerge --deep --newuse --update world" brought back 238 files to be updated including all the biggies... gcc, glibc etc. man, the whole update went without a problem. everything updated including kernel gentoo- 2.6.29-r5 with no broken ebuild's! took a friggin' eternity but i got gentoo back! :-))
devs and all you blokes/birds contributing to gentoo. well done!! you kick arse. thanks and many thanks and thanks again!
glenn
ilovebeer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a quick aside, ive been pissing about with gentoo since i got it re-internet enabled and have re-discovered fluxbox. this system is so fast my eyes have lag. gentoo is a great distibution and nothing imho comes close (maybe arch) by gee i missed gentoo and i am glad to be back.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilovebeer wrote:
as a quick aside, ive been pissing about with gentoo since i got it re-internet enabled and have re-discovered fluxbox. this system is so fast my eyes have lag. gentoo is a great distibution and nothing imho comes close (maybe arch) by gee i missed gentoo and i am glad to be back.

welcome back then and enjoy your stay :)

gentoo indeed is (can be) pretty fast but there's also a lot more to it: a lot of automation, portage, hardened, etc. :D

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Captain Newbie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i've been using vista a.k.a "not quite right" since december 08 when i got a usb wireless modem and the thing wouldn't work under linux so i was trapped in ms hell! now i've got the sierra 880u working with gentoo. hadn't updated gentoo since december 08... did an emerge --sync && results of "emerge --deep --newuse --update world" brought back 238 files to be updated including all the biggies... gcc, glibc etc. man, the whole update went without a problem. everything updated including kernel gentoo- 2.6.29-r5 with no broken ebuild's! took a friggin' eternity but i got gentoo back! :-))

New Portage = automatic resolution of blocked packages = win = thanksverymuch portage dev team.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Newbie wrote:
Quote:

New Portage = automatic resolution of blocked packages = win = thanksverymuch portage dev team.

++

just keeps on getting better :wink:

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
ilovebeer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to hear your thoughts... so often we read those posts ... "i'm sick of gentoo" "i've had enough" blah blah blah! huge job for a core group keeping a sophisticated distro up to speed and i have absolutely no complaints (maybe i'd like my dick a bit bigger) but i'm pretty sure the devs can't fix that!??? can you? i have on occasion been annoyed with linux... but after six months as a vista whore i know i've got nuthin' to complain about. gentoo is a gem!
Captain Newbie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilovebeer wrote:
good to hear your thoughts... so often we read those posts ... "i'm sick of gentoo" "i've had enough" blah blah blah! huge job for a core group keeping a sophisticated distro up to speed and i have absolutely no complaints (maybe i'd like my dick a bit bigger) but i'm pretty sure the devs can't fix that!??? can you? i have on occasion been annoyed with linux... but after six months as a vista whore i know i've got nuthin' to complain about. gentoo is a gem!

Oh, don't get me wrong, I have complaints. But I'll have complaints no matter what I use...nobody's perfect. It's all about what you choose to put up with. :D

Gentoo's done a good job of quality control lately, though. That was the big thorn in my side...now that it's fixed, life's good.
ilovebeer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh, don't get me wrong, I have complaints. But I'll have complaints no matter what I use...nobody's perfect. It's all about what you choose to put up with. :D

Gentoo's done a good job of quality control lately, though. That was the big thorn in my side...now that it's fixed, life's good.

yeah i reckon you're right. i used vista for a while and was rather amazed that the apparently ubiquitous "blue screen of death" is alive and well... but thanks to ms and vista i was able to stay connected. quantity rather than quality but it did the job... sorta! thanks bill 8O just booting up with gentoo is a joy compared to vista. oh my... i'm sounding like a linux fanboy :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: