Preliminary audio results, Ultra 5
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Preliminary audio results, Ultra 5 Reply with quote

For anybody interested, I've currently gotten audio partially working on an Ultra 5. I have everything except playing CDs working properly. I can listen to CDs if I plug the speakers into the front of the CD drive, and I can listen to .au files by cat'ing them to /dev/sound/audio (through the normal output). I'm currently emerging xmms, so I'll write instructions once I've verified that it works. As for the CD audio, I've verified that the CD drive's audio cable is plugged into the motherboard, so I'm figuring it's a mixer problem at this point (maybe the sun chip has a custom naming scheme for the CD audio in channel?).

I'm using OSS, as I tried to hack ALSA to work, but it's configure script is completely f*cked over when it comes to the sparc architecure. I'm pretty sure it can work, but I'm sick of hacking the Makefiles, so I just decided and give up in lieu of OSS.

On a side note, does anyone know why the kernel builds with egcs instead of gcc? (2.9.x instead off gcc's 3.2.x). I think ALSA would compile easier if I could get the kernel to compile with 3.2.x, but I'm not sure of the ramifications of forcing this...
torradan
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used the CS4231 audio drivers in the kernel, they work pretty good. As far as CD audio, I still haven't gotten that to work. XMMS, Mplayer, Gnome .. all sound just fine.

This is for sparc-sources, kernel 2.4.22-sparc-r0

Linux/SPARC audio subsystem (EXPERIMENTAL) --->
<M> Audio support (EXPERIMENTAL)
<M> CS4231 Lowlevel Driver

Never had to touch any ALSA or OSS stuff

which kernel are you trying to make sound work with?
dougm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

torradan wrote:
I just used the CS4231 audio drivers in the kernel, they work pretty good. As far as CD audio, I still haven't gotten that to work. XMMS, Mplayer, Gnome .. all sound just fine.

This is for sparc-sources, kernel 2.4.22-sparc-r0

Linux/SPARC audio subsystem (EXPERIMENTAL) --->
<M> Audio support (EXPERIMENTAL)
<M> CS4231 Lowlevel Driver

Never had to touch any ALSA or OSS stuff

which kernel are you trying to make sound work with?

sparc-sources 2.4.21-sparc-r1. Did you get them to work in stereo? I'm only getting mono sound out of the system. And the CD problem is annoying, though I probably won't be that affected. Does anyone know of a linux CD player that rips the digital data over the IDE lines a la CD Paranoia?
bazik
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougm wrote:
I'm only getting mono sound out of the system.

I also use the kernel module like todd suggested and I have perfect and clear stero sound.

You plugged external speakers in your sparc, yes? :)
dougm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bAZiK wrote:
dougm wrote:
I'm only getting mono sound out of the system.

I also use the kernel module like todd suggested and I have perfect and clear stero sound.

You plugged external speakers in your sparc, yes? :)

Yes. :-p I'm going to try updating to a newer version of the kernel...
erik.crouch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn, i'm not sure that I included sound support in my kernel.

Alas I will have to look at my kernelconfig and find out.

Thanks doug, this helps me out as well as others!!
dougm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erik.crouch wrote:
Darn, i'm not sure that I included sound support in my kernel.

Alas I will have to look at my kernelconfig and find out.

Thanks doug, this helps me out as well as others!!

You'll have to add the users who can play sounds to the audio group, and create a file in /etc/modules.d (I named mine OSS) with the contents:
Code:
# Sound support
alias sound-slot-0 cs4231

and run module-update

In interesting piece of data regarding the mono audio. On a cold start, I get mono audio, but on a reboot I get stereo. Also, on a coldboot, my fb console is at 80x25, and on reboot, it's at a high resolution...
wheatthin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here goes. I have been fiddling with sound on my Ultra 5 and have not had much luck. I have the modules compiled in my kernel (2.4.21-sparc-rc1). The modules load fine, but I can't seem to get any sound whatsoever from anything. CD, xmms, directing sound to /dev/sound/audio. My question is has anyone used sound on the Ultra5 successfully with this kernel (2.4.21-sparc-r1)? I really don't want to mess with anything as the system seems to be working fine except for sound.

I also think I read somewhere that Arts needs to be stopped for sound to work in KDE. If anyone else read this or knows for sure could you let me know? I have scoured the posts here and can't find the one I think I read. (It was a late night that night and alcohol may have been a factor.)
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wheatthin wrote:
=My question is has anyone used sound on the Ultra5 successfully with this kernel (2.4.21-sparc-r1)?

That kernel and a u10 (which is the same system in a bigger box) work nicely for me. I did the same as todd...
wheatthin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which output plugin and audio device are you using for xmms? I have tried them all with no luck. Also, are you able to use sound in KDE?
dougm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wheatthin wrote:
Which output plugin and audio device are you using for xmms? I have tried them all with no luck. Also, are you able to use sound in KDE?

I'm running an Ultra 5 with that kernel right now, and I can get XMMS to work just fine, with the OSS output plugin. Run lsmod, and see if soundcore is listed as a loaded module. If it is, type
Code:
rmmod soundcore
rmmod cs4231
rmmod audio

After that, try and reinsert just audio and cs4231. the run ls /dev/sound/audio. If it exists you should be able to play music. As root, try "cat /usr/lib/python2.2/test/audiotest.au > /dev/sound/audio" if you have python installed, or "cat /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.1/share/demo/plugin/applets/TicTacToe/audio/beep.au > /dev/sound/audio" if you have the blackdown jdk installed.
wheatthin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the output of lsmod:
Module Size Used by Not tainted
cs4231 21408 1 (autoclean)
audio 23152 4 (autoclean) [cs4231]

And /dev/sound/audio does exist. Here is output of ls -la /dev/sound/audio:
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Jan 1 1970 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Jan 1 1970 ..
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 4 Jan 1 1970 audio
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 7 Jan 1 1970 audioctl
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 3 Jan 1 1970 dsp
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 5 Jan 1 1970 dspW
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 0 Jan 1 1970 mixer
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 6 Jan 1 1970 status

When I cat to /dev/sound/audio I get nothing. I just found a procedure to test the hardware in OBP. I guess I will try that after work today and see if it tells me anything.
wheatthin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the OBP diag results are exactly the same as the output in the Sun manual s I assume the hardware is not the problem. I guess I will just have to keep playing with the settings. If anyone else has any input I would be more that happy to listen.
wheatthin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some progress. I am able to play sounds and use xmms and whatever if I am directly logged in as the user "audio". I am not able to hear anything when logged in as anything else (including root). Can anyone tell me if I am overlooking something obvious here? I would appreciate any input at all.
dougm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wheatthin wrote:
Some progress. I am able to play sounds and use xmms and whatever if I am directly logged in as the user "audio". I am not able to hear anything when logged in as anything else (including root). Can anyone tell me if I am overlooking something obvious here? I would appreciate any input at all.

Use your favorite editor (e.g. "vi", or "nano -w") to edit /etc/group and look for the line that says "audio::18:" and change it to "audio::18:username" where username is the name of the user you normally log in as. If you want multiple users to be able to play sound, add a comma, and another user to the end of the list. Log out, and log back in, and you should be able to play sound...
wheatthin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already had the entries in /etc/group. I created some other users and they all worked fine. Turns out the only on I can't get to play sound is root. Whenever I play a sound directly to /dev/sound/audio I just hear a bunch of noise when I am logged in as root (which is most of the time as I am still trying to get my system set up). Oh,well. I guess I will just have to get things worked out and start using a different user. Thanks for the help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: