Powerbook shuts down after pmac_init/openpic
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EdSchouten
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Powerbook shuts down after pmac_init/openpic Reply with quote

Hi :)

I have installed Gentoo on my Powerbook 12" 8)

It first went very well, but since yesterday I can't seem to run it anymore. The bootCD also gives the same error:
Quote:
Welcome to Linux, kernel 2.4.21-ppc-r2

linked at: 0xc0000000
frame buffer at: 0x94004000 (phys), 0xd0004000 (log)
klimit: 0xcc02f2510
MSR: 0x00003030
HID0: 0x8410c0bc

pmac_init(): exit
id mach(): done
MMU:enter
MMU: hw init
hash:enter
hash:find piece
hash:patch
hash:done
MMU:mapin
MMU:mapin_ram done
MMU:setio
MMU:exit
xmon uses screen and keyboard
setup_arch: enter
setup_arch: bootmem
arch: exit
openpic: enter
openpic: timer
openpic: external
openpic: spurious
openpic: exit

After that my powerbook turns itself off. What did I do wrong? :oops:
dufnutz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm receiving the same deal, anyone have an idea?
EdSchouten
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dufnutz wrote:
I'm receiving the same deal, anyone have an idea?

w00t, I'm not the only one! 8)
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:10 am    Post subject: i think this is the same problem as ... Reply with quote

i believe this problem has been discussed in other threads ... most likely you just upgraded to OS X 10.2.8, right? the ide code on the livecd kernel, and i think the "stable" gentoo-ppc kernel doesn't support that ... i recently reinstalled, and i had to boot from a 1.4_rc5 disc, which worked, as th 1.4 release from 8/26 did not ...

also, i use benh's sources direct from his tree ... 2.4.22-ben2 works great ... you can grab it with an rsync like "rsync --delete -avz rsync.penguinppc.org::linux-2.4-benh ./linux-2.4-benh" ... you can find the pre-empt patches on the net for 2.4.22 if you really want them, but, I'm really happy with his kernel stock ... he is the lord of linux-on-apple-hardware ...
EdSchouten
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: i think this is the same problem as ... Reply with quote

fafhrd wrote:
i believe this problem has been discussed in other threads ... most likely you just upgraded to OS X 10.2.8, right? the ide code on the livecd kernel, and i think the "stable" gentoo-ppc kernel doesn't support that ... i recently reinstalled, and i had to boot from a 1.4_rc5 disc, which worked, as th 1.4 release from 8/26 did not ...

also, i use benh's sources direct from his tree ... 2.4.22-ben2 works great ... you can grab it with an rsync like "rsync --delete -avz rsync.penguinppc.org::linux-2.4-benh ./linux-2.4-benh" ... you can find the pre-empt patches on the net for 2.4.22 if you really want them, but, I'm really happy with his kernel stock ... he is the lord of linux-on-apple-hardware ...

Yes, I installed 10.2.8

I already deleted Linux from my harddrive :oops: so when I want to install Gentoo this afternoon, I have to run rsync instead of emerge sys-kernel/ppc-sources?
piyushkhengar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: 1.4_rc5 Reply with quote

does booting from 1.4_rc5 work? well, im downloading gentoo-ppc-1.4_rc5-020403.iso to see if that works. I hope it does, as I have too much data on my linux installation that I just cant afford to lose
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:08 pm    Post subject: 1.4_rc5 Reply with quote

yes ... i had the exact same problem, on a Powerbook G4 800Mhz (revIII) ... gentoo livecd 1.4_rc5 booted fine: only problem was I had to do the first part of the install only at 667Mhz, as the cpu scaling stuff was not enabled in that kernel .... once the kernel is installed, you can rev the machine back up to its highest performance ...

yeah, gentoo's sources are great in that they manage to heavily patch the kernel AND keep it stable ... sucks that a show-stopper like this exists at the moment ...
guedou
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: It works :*) Reply with quote

So, I boot my powerbook G4 1ghz with a 1.2.4_rc5 cd.

Then, I did the usual gentoo stuff aka mount, chroot, env-update and emerge sync.

Then I emerged ppc-sources-benh-2.4.22-r2, copy my old .config and did the usual kernel compilation stuff.

I finish with a ybin -v, and now it works well :*)

guedou
piyushkhengar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: 1.4_rc5 Reply with quote

I managed to boot up 1.4_rc5 successfuly too (on my 12" PB G4 867MHz), but found that my hard drive (normally hdc from the livecd) was missing. Any clues people?
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: hrm ... Reply with quote

hrm ... just make sure it didn't post "more correctly" as /dev/hda ... see what dwells in /dev/ide/* and such ...
EdSchouten
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.4_rc5 Reply with quote

piyushkhengar wrote:
I managed to boot up 1.4_rc5 successfuly too (on my 12" PB G4 867MHz), but found that my hard drive (normally hdc from the livecd) was missing. Any clues people?

Same here.

Here's my /dev/ide:
cd
host0

My network connection is also missing and I can't seem to eject my CD. Is it possible to build my own ISO?
:x
piyushkhengar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.4_rc5 Reply with quote

I get exactly the same stuff in /dev/ide. I even tried mounting those and ended up once more back at the cd in my drive. My eth0 isnt working either.

I too would like to know how I can roll out my own ISO!
EdSchouten
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.4_rc5 Reply with quote

I was thinking about compiling the newest benh kernel and copying it over the newest Gentoo ISO, but I can't compile it, because my other machine is a x86 machine.
fafhrd
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: well ... Reply with quote

you sound pretty eager to get back to linux on ppc (i know i was...)

you can always set up a quick cross-compile gcc on your x86 box to compile the kernel ... but like i said, that's if you're really that eager ...

i wish i had more information about creating one's own iso ... if i knew how, i'd post my kernel and modules for everyone to use
piyushkhengar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:58 am    Post subject: SOLUTION FOR 12" POWERBOOKS! Reply with quote

Check out https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=575852#575852 for a solution that works on my 12" PB!
pvdabeel
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have a new set of stages/GRP/livecds online this week (scheduled for wednesday) that fix the problem/can be used to fix the problem.
A small livecd will be online probably tomorrow or on monday to allow anyone to fix.

Pieter
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: