View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mallrats
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:05 pm    Post subject: IceWM taskbar icons Reply with quote

Some apps (gaim, xfontsel) display an X in the upper left hand corner of their window and as their icon on the taskbar. This makes it hard to differentiate between applications on the task bar, is there a way to change this?
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested also. Plus if anyone has a pack of 16x16 icons for my toolbar buttons that'd be cool.
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually end up firing up Gimp and creating some for applciations I want in my Icewm taskbar. Typically applications (or at least their homepages) have something that's suitable. I've put up my current collection (which will be somewhat limited, I'm afraid, as I only make 'em for applications I both have and want in the taskbar) at http://apocalyptech.com/icewm-icons.tbz2. Stick 'em in icewm's "icons" directory (I'm not sure where this is on the Gentoo install; my Gentoo box isn't running right now. On my debian machine, it's in /usr/local/lib/X11/icewm/icons).

For configuration of the toolbar, menus, etc, I use an app called IceMe. I'm not sure if there's an ebuild of it yet. If not, I'll add it to my list of ebuilds I want to create. It's pretty easy to use and lets you select the icons easily. That, or you can just edit ~/.icewm/toolbar by hand. The third "field" is the icon name.

Note that when you change the file by hand or use IceMe, you have to restart IceWm to get the changes to take effect. You can just do
Code:
killall -HUP icewm
while in X and it'll come back up without having to restart any of your apps or X.

Hope that helps . . .

Last edited by n0n on Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you might just be able to put the icons in your ~/.icewm/icons directory, too . . . Just a thought.
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that (IceMe) just for the toolbar buttons, or will that affect the icons in the taskbar for running applications as well?
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, actually I just realized that you're talking about something else entirely . . . What I said will work well for the toolbar, but not for running programs. As evidenced by the fact that my X-Chat taskbar icon is different from the icon I use to launch it from the menu. Hm. I will investigate more . . .
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! Of course. Okay, so you've got your icons in IceWM's icons directory, or in your ~/.icewm/icons directory.

Then edit your ~/.icewm/winoptions. You'll see something like this:
Code:
xterm.icon: xterm
rxvt.icon: xterm
nxterm.icon: xterm
fte.icon: fte
AcroRead.icon: pdf
Netscape.icon: netscape
Navigator.Netscape.icon: communicator-browser
MailThread.Netscape.icon: communicator-mail
MailFolder.Netscape.icon: communicator-mail

It should be FAIRLY self-explanatory what you should do next, but it's perhaps marginally tricky. The stuff to the left of the period (rxvt, nxterm, AcroRead, Navigator, etc) are part of the WM_CLASS property of the window. Bring up an xterm and type in "xprop". Your cursor will change to a cross-hair. Click on any window. This will give you a list of all the window properties for that window, including WM_CLASS. This is how programs "identify" themselves to things like Window Managers and the like. My xterm's WM_CLASS looks like this:

Code:
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "xterm", "XTerm"

If I pull up Netscape 4 (gasp!), I get:

Code:
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "Navigator", "Netscape"

So for an xterm, you can add "xterm.<property>: <value>" and have any window with a WM_CLASS of "xterm" do what you want. You'll notice that Netscape utilizes both of the WM_CLASSes. You can figure it out from there.

There's all sorts of really cool stuff you can do with this. I use it to have IceWm automatically stick certain programs into certain desktops, etc. Play around with it. If you select "Help" from IceWm's main menu, click on "12. Window Options" for all the fun stuff you can do.
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n0n, you truly are the king of kings.

That worked like a champ. Is there anything winoptions doesn't do?!?!
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man I just realized I can assign classes to each of my ssh/telnet sessions at work and have the taskbar/toolbar have a different icon depending on what server I'm connected to. *drool*

Obvious dilemma is what loser makes icons based on servers. I could see if your servers were named after characters in movies or something. Unfortunately ours are named stuff like "wrong", "shame", and "despise". Our SA is a sadistic bastard.
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w00t. having my pine xterm using the communicator-mail icon is oh so sweet.
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rizzo wrote:
Is there anything winoptions doesn't do?!?!

I have yet to figure out how to get it to find cheap airline tickets to Hawaii for me, but I gather that the IceWM developers are working on it. :)
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a family member to work for an airline. My sister-in-law is a flight attendant with Midwest Express and I got round-trip tickets from Milwaukee to NYC for $75 each. BTW, I'll be in New York City Monday through Friday so it might be quiet from my end. Hope seiler.us stays up. I have the kompany laptop so I should be able to check email, provided the connection stays up.
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohmygod, I wish I was going to NY this weekend. (We're becoming severely offtopic now.) rizzo, if you have any love in your heart for me, you will show up at the Batcave on Saturday night, smuggle in a videocamera, and tape me the show that I tragically won't be able to see, because I'm stuck here in desolate Wisconsin.

Edit: Okay, I'm an idiot. It thought you meant like Friday through Monday, like over the weekend. n0n = a loser now. Damn. Go out early and see that show anyway. :P
Mallrats
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact I need to configure this is a pain in the behind, not cool
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if IceWM would take a look at the WM_CLASS field itself to see if any icons matched. Or the name of the binary or whatnot. That should be a pretty simple change. Heh. Yet more things I want to do in my spare time. :) Then again, if you want your WM to do a whole bunch of stuff for you, you'd probably feel better using a more full-featured WM. Ice, AFAIK, was never meant to be a "we do everything in the world for you" WM.
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mallrats wrote:
The fact I need to configure this is a pain in the behind, not cool

I think the fact that I am able to configure this is extremely cool. I can pick whatever icon I want for whatever application I want. That is the glory of IceWM. Embrace it and it will make you stronger and happier for it in the end.
Mallrats
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After setting it up after each reinstall of Gentoo and you might not embrace it. I know we need to deal with setting things up as Gentoo users, but there comes a point to which we want some things already nicely configured and we can tweak, not set up from scratch.
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you have to reconfigure it with every install of Gentoo? If you keep everything in your ~/.icewm preferences, all you have to do is make sure that you keep your /home partition. That's why I always keep /home on a seperate partition (right now it's even on it's own drive). When I reinstall systems, I just leave /home alone, and all of my applications are always configured exactly the way I want them. I'd recommend everyone do the same. It makes configuration a snap.
Mallrats
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tip, good point
I'm SOL I didn't do this
:o
or is there a good way (better than copy and paste) to back them up?
seetru
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 4:06 pm    Post subject: you're not SOL Reply with quote

make a new partition or format a new disk
su to root
copy your home directory to it [including any root paths]
delete the old home and login as your normal user

to be safe you can just rename the old home and test the new one first

fixed in a few minutes at most
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mallrats wrote:
or is there a good way (better than copy and paste) to back them up?

You mean to put /home on it's own partition? If you just mean re-partitioning your hard drive, I believe that GNU "parted" can resize partitions, so you can create a /home partition for yourself. And then copy stuff over. Personally, I feel that it's worth the money to stick /home on it's own drive, so if you're willing to spend the money, I'd suggest just getting a new drive for it (doesn't have to be anything huge, obviously - I've been using an old 20GB for some time now, and that works out fine for me). Otherwise, try parted.
Mallrats
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

Two questions

Why should home be on its own physical drive
How big / small should it be
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mallrats wrote:
Why should home be on its own physical drive

Well, it obviously doesn't have to be on it's own drive. I just like doing that to not only isolate it from new system installs, but also to isolate it from hard drive failures and the like. Plus I like the feeling that if I ever needed to, I could just pop one hard drive out of my system and carry it to another computer and have all of my stuff come with me. It's just a matter of personal preference, really.

Mallrats wrote:
How big / small should it be

Really that depends on how much you use it, and how much stuff you put in it. Like I said, my /home has been 20Gigs for some time. Historically, I've been keeping some not-burned-onto-CD-yet mp3s there, and misc videos and the like, but recently I've moved all that stuff into their own partitions on /var/mp3 and /var/mov, so now I'm only occupying about 7 gigs or so. And most of that is taken up by a staggering number of source packages I have yet to delete (prior to Gentoo, I'd always go through and build practically my entire system by hand once I got a base Debian system up - so I've got a huge tree under ~/Programs, like ~/Programs/Media, ~/Programs/Utils, etc, etc, etc). So really, I could probably get by with a heck of a lot less. If I went and cleaned out all the cruft that I've been accumulating, I doubt I'd need even a gig.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: