Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
New Video Cards and frame buffer consoles...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: New Video Cards and frame buffer consoles... Reply with quote

Has anyone had any luck getting the frame buffer console running on an add-in video card? I was able to get a PGX32 (based off of the Permedia 2 chipset), and I'm having some problems. I got the Ultra 5 to use the new card as the default card (with something like "setenv pcib-probe-list 1,3" at the openboot interface), and I can get X running just fine by changine the driver to "glint", but I can't get a pretty console anymore. I've added support for the permedia 2 as a frame buffer device, but the kernel sees it as just a generic console (based on what I see when I run dmesg). Any suggestions?
dougm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I got it going... I had to enable "Generic Permedia2 PCI board support" under the Permedia2 specific options to get it to recognize the PGX32. Because of this, I've got two questions for any who might know:

Before I changed video card, I had a default high-res console, and now it's down to something similar to VGA text mode. Any idea why the default has changed? And what is the default, so that I can set it by default?

Also, I've got X working at 1280x1024 24bpp, which uses more than 4MB of RAM, so it's detecting it right, but I can't get 1600x1200 24bpp, which should work with 8MB RAM. I'm thinking it might be my monitor settings. Doesn anyone know where I can find the scan ranges for the 21" Sun monitor that shipped with the Ultra 5 (It's the one that has a built in Sun cable, and a second VGA port available on it...).GDM-5010PT.
Blademan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google is your friend:

http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/Monitor/MONITOR_Color_21_Prem_CRT.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: