why mount locks the cdrom drive?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lecholet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:10 am    Post subject: why mount locks the cdrom drive? Reply with quote

When you mount a cdrom drive, the mount utility locks the drive so you cant eject the disk inside by pressing the eject button on the drive. Why is that? It seems to me that it would be simplier not to do so cause then you will not be force to unmount the device before ejecting the disc, right? Is this a security feature? can the system read the disc even if the device is not lock?

My question is if i go on and edit the code in the mount's sources so that mount doest lock the device anymore, will it work? Will my system be stable?

Geez, seems like a hard one to me!

lecholet
fuxored
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try supermount. It mounts and unmounts devices automagically. Anytime you try to access a drive it will mount it, press eject and it will unmount and eject automatically. Same as you would be used to in windows.
Robert
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: why mount locks the cdrom drive? Reply with quote

lecholet wrote:
When you mount a cdrom drive, the mount utility locks the drive so you cant eject the disk inside by pressing the eject button on the drive. Why is that?

If you remove a mounted filesystem without unmounting it, and the OS attempts to access that filesystem. you will get some nasty I/O errors. As previously mentioned supermount will provide the type of behavior you are after.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: