View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharky44
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Gentoo as a learning experience Reply with quote

Sir_Stinksalot wrote:

So my post here is to see how many people would actually be willing to help a total n00b. Do you think my assumption that I can get it to work with your help and that it would be a good way to dive into the meat of linux? If I get a good response from this I will take the faster of my two computers down and format the harddrive with two partitions and put winblowz on one 20 gig partition and gentoo on the other 20gig partition.

So what do you think?!? Can I do it? Will you help?

While I gladly offer my time and effort in your Gentoo installation, I am a newbie to Gentoo, and for the most part to Linux as well, so I don't know how much help I would be.

I can say, however, that my recent Gentoo install on my IBM Thinkpad A22m went pretty well, and it now dual-boots beautifully with WinXP. I did have a RedHat partition for a few months prior, but never really used it much. I had never compiled a kernel before, but I managed to get Gentoo to boot on the first try :) I did have to recompile a few times to work out problems with sound, mice, etc, and the Forum was a great resource for that. So it's definitely do-able. Follow the documentation, and you should be OK.

And Gentoo definitely has taught me a ton about linux.

And (yes, another and) I would have to agree that it may take a couple installs to get it right. (Almost) everything is working fine for me on the first install, but when I get some free time I want to start over, as I'd like to do some more optimizations and such that I wasn't aware of the first time.

Good Luck!
abombss
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread seems like a great place to add in my two cents. I would venture to say I am a total linux newbie. Before installing gentoo I had never compiled a kernel before nor have I ever used or configured X.

I personally thought the install of gentoo went smooth my first time, but like other comments, be prepared to do it more than once. My system is up and running after about 3 installs. I am still learning and tweaking. The biggest problem for me is trying to get my ATI AIW 8500 working, if you have choice go NVidia as I hear it is way easier to configure.

All in all gentoo rocks, I have learned more about Linux in my 2 months working with Gentoo than I did for the year that I had apache running on my RH box.

I find gentoo very stable, well documented, and easy to use, as well as up to date. The ebuilds offer some of the best up to date packages out of any other distro. And gentoo is not bloated like many of the other distros. You can totally compile, build, and customize your own distro very easily.

Keep up the good work all, as I get more familiar with LInux I would love to be able to contribute some of the great programmig that takes place in the community.

peace,

abombss
slais-sysweb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gentoo documentation is a model of clarity, so play close attention. I would advise printing out a hard copy of the install guide, the USE flad guide and the portage manuals before you start (unless you have a second machine on line to refer to the web during the install.) The web pages for packages themselves are also very useful, particularly the Grub manual.
Another good idea is to write down what you do, as you do it, then if it goes wrong you can review the causes and get it right next time. This is particularly so with the kernel compile. As others have said, make menuconfig takes a long time if you take the troble to consider the help page on each option. Making a record of your choices and why will make the next kernel far easier. (even if your first kernel is ok - it probably will work - you are sure to need to recompile once you get to know it better.
Dogbert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:44 am    Post subject: Another n00b here :) Reply with quote

Hi, I just got the Gentoo CD in the mail and I'm going to try installing it.
A few questions first:

1. How long will each step take (divided by 100Mhz CPU power) ?
2. Are my specs problematic for Gentoo ?

Specs:
Mother board: Asus A7V333 (VIA KT333)
CPU: Athlon 1800+ (slightly overclocked)
MEM: 1GB Transcend 333Mhz DDR
HDD: Primary (Master) - Maxtor 80GB (Win2k, NTFS)
Secondary (Slave) - IBM 20GB unpartitioned, unformatted (intended for Gentoo)
Graphic: Matrox G400 DH 32MB
Sound: Currently using onboard sound (C-Media 8738), switching to Hercules Game theater XP (Cirrus Logic CS4630) in a few days.
2 NICS: 3com 905b (pptp adsl), intel pro 10/100 (lan)
CD-R (master): Plextor (PX-W401240A)
DVD (Slave): Asus (E-616)
Tinlong
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add my 2 cents here...

I'm quite new (in linux world about 9 months), and I've tried Redhat (the first one, start from 7.2. 7.3 is actually pretty nice, only if not having so many annoying little bugs...), Mandrake (I HATE IT! even though it's meant to be easier to use and configure, for some reason I just don't like it... maybe because it mimic Windows too much?), Debian (well I tried the potato one, 2.2r6, so of course it's terribly out of date :P), and Slackware (I actually love it... don't know why), before I tried out Gentoo and got hooked onto it. Gentoo's strength is the ease of use/configure (I love rc-scripts), portage (great!), clear structure (though a little non-standard), and the best: clear documentation and nice community (I hate that some forums are just full of bashing and anger/hatred-spreading). I'll use Gentoo to make an EJB server for my brother, and keep another machine using Slackware to mess around.

Well, other distros have something good, too. Redhat has the widest user base, so there're many documentations aimed for Redhat, making things easier. IMO, Redhat also has the best automatic XF86Config-4 configuration, which I have backup and use in other linux boxes (The best is it detects monitor modes very accurate). Mandrake and Debian should be good, but I just don't like it. Slackware, while it lacks of software package management (a big con for novice users), has quite a few things extremely good: simple yet effective distro (not as bloat as Redhat and Mandrake), following BSD filesystem, simple startup scripts management (in fact, quite similar to the one used in Gentoo, except it's not virtual runlevels, and not having automatic scripts to manage it). Plus the last but best: it has IMO the best preconfigured kernels. When I install Gentoo, I don't even border to choose kernel options; I just copy the .config from Slack and use it to eliminate all drivers except the one I use, correct the CPU type, plus some other things mentioned in Gentoo's installation guide and security guide.

Other than this forum, I also look at http://www.linuxnewbie.org/forum quite often; in fact, I think it's the nicest forum except Gentoo's forum; though you'll see a lot of bashing around, they still treat newcomers fairly nice. And there're rumors that one of a Slackware veteran is a hot chick. :lol:

To Dogbert:

Your spec looks fine for me, even though I'm not familiar with Athlon XP (some in linuxnewbie.org said compiling kernel under Athlon XP may give problems, but I'm not sure).

Talking about compile time, it will surely take shorter than mine. I use PII 400 w/ 256MB ram (though 128M of which is only 66 MHz while the others are 100MHz) and 10GB UDMA2 harddrive, it took me about 3 hrs for stage 1, 6 hrs for stage 2 (with X), and 1 hr for kernel compilation. (KDE took me 12 hrs to compile, though......) So enjoy your installation, I'd say it's not hard, if you follow the guide right and understand what you're doing.

That's my 2 cents.
insomniac
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slais-sysweb wrote:
The Gentoo documentation is a model of clarity, so play close attention.

Definitely. The Gentoo setup guide is one of the BEST linux documents i've ever come across. Easy to read and understand, easy to follow and pretty complete.

I printed it out, followed it, and had a working Gentoo install on my first try. I'm not an advanced user either - have been using Debian for about a year, like it but it's too bloated for me... I prefer _just_ installing the packages i _really_ need...

What I miss is a Gnome install manual, or at least a more complete "desktop guide". I am not a developer but merely a user (but I managed to get Gnome running anyway ;-)) and as such am very sensitive to good installation instructions.

Or perhaps I'm just maturing as a Linux user, actually bothering to read manpages and instructions before installing... ;-)

Quote:
I would advise printing out a hard copy of the install guide, the USE flad guide and the portage manuals before you start (unless you have a second machine on line to refer to the web during the install.)

I would advise BOTH a second machine AND printed manuals, despite the good manuals, there can always be problems, and it is pretty nice to be able to solve the problem without having to wipe the installation and start from scratch... The forums are excellent, I can't believe debian doesn't have something like this...

Quote:
The web pages for packages themselves are also very useful, particularly the Grub manual.

True, true - Grub can be a little hard when your mind is used to thinking the lilo/fdisk/fstab way ( i.e. /dev/hda5 (lilo) instead of hda(0,4) (Grub) )

Quote:
Another good idea is to write down what you do, as you do it, then if it goes wrong you can review the causes and get it right next time. This is particularly so with the kernel compile. As others have said, make menuconfig takes a long time if you take the troble to consider the help page on each option. Making a record of your choices and why will make the next kernel far easier. (even if your first kernel is ok - it probably will work - you are sure to need to recompile once you get to know it better.

I made the mistake of enabling "use real mode to power off" for my kernel on my desktop machine, which I will have to recompile with this small option turned off... I know, I should have made a note the last time i made this... ;-)

Anyway - I see Gentoo as a very clear and clean distro... Or I could perhaps just say lean and mean...

Getting it to just "work" is not too difficult. Getting the rest to work needs a little fiddling (OpenOffice.org, for example) but all the help one needs is here in the forums...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Should i wait for the GCC 3.1 version? Reply with quote

im a slackware freak, but i want to try gentoo...should i wait for the GCC 3.1 or just get current? thanks!
IdBuRnS
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Gentoo as a learning experience Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Quick question about file systems.
I use ext3 quite happily.

Quote:
Ooh ooh and one more question. Anyone know of a decent large cheap harddrive or am I pushing my luck with this question? I mean like $150 bux?
Avoid IBM GXP drives. I purchased a Maxtor 80G for 120ish.

I have a IBM 14.4 GXP drive that I've had for about 5 years and a 30GB that I've had for about 2 and both still work perfectly. IBM was always my drive of choice until the latest batch came out. It's the 75GXP drives that you want to avoid because they've had horrible problems and are, I think, are the reason that IBM sold off their hard drive line to WD.

Like you though I just bought a Maxtor 80GB for roughly $120. I've actually had bad luck with Maxtors in the past but it's a better alternative then WD...
30GB IBM, Onboard NIC, Onboard Sound
Jester_n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:55 pm    Post subject: What about Debian 3.0??? Reply with quote

I'm basically a n00b, too. I've run Red Hat for about a year, and I'm still basically a novice with Linux in general. I've never compiled a kernel, and I only know some basic shell commands. Unfortunately, I'm one of the network support people in a totally Windoze company.

ANYWAY, my question is this: Some of you keep saying that Debian is way out of date....what about the latest release, version 3.0??? Isn't that a lot more up-to-date??? :?:

Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: