View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McManus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: Changing Gnome2 WM !? Reply with quote

I'm sure someone has posted this before, but I searched and can't seem to find it, so oh well (sorry).

I'm using 1.3b (sooooo nice... and fast, too!) and i emerged Gnome2 as well as a lot of the other optional packages, like the ctrl panel, etc. But a lot of links are missing (like nautilus, etc. I have to run it manually). However, I can't seem to find ANY option to change the WM (I have fluxbox and Sawfish emerged in as well). Control Panel (as a whole, not individual components) seems to be "missing". Any clues on what I did wrong?
Linux user #267375 - http://counter.li.org
tsuru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing the WM in Gnome2 is a little difficult... I was talking to some of the ops on #gentoo on irc.openprojects.net a while ago and they had a command line ...er command that looked clean but didn't work for me....so this is what I did:

Go to Applications> Desktop Preferences> Advanced> Session Properties and Startup Programs.

From here you can remove metacity (might also require a killall metacity from the term) and then just start your preferred wm. Save your session and that should do it...

It might be handy to open your terminal and postion it before you kill metacity ;)
Spark
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, just kill the current WM, load the new one, then select "save current setup" at logout or use the session properties. Control-Center doesn't exist for 2.0 and will be integrated into Nautilus later. So if you install Control-Center, it's for Gnome 1.x (that is usefull to change Gtk1 themes though).
McManus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, shoulda checked for a desktop forum before I posted... :grin:

thanks for the help! will try it when I get home from work&class tonight.
McManus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly, how can they call this the official release of Gnome2 ? It is sooooo broken. (I know more ppl have said this is a "debug" release, but that's BS) Get it working before you OFFICIALLY release it, please?

I'm sorry, but Gnome2 isn't what I was expecting it to be. Gnome 1.4 was great and I loved it... but then KDE3 came along and rocked my world. Since then, I've been hoping Gnome2 would be "the one", which was perfect and had all its "issues" fixed/worked-out so it could be good competition to KDE3 (I love using Gnome with Fluxbox). I am rather disappointed. :(
Manny Calavera
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't complain, have you never heard of .0 releaes? :wink:
oh, almost forgot the quick&dirty fix:
edit your ~/.bashrc
and insert
Code:

export WINDOW_MANAGER=whatever

in my case
Code:

export WINDOW_MANAGER=sawfish

see you,
- Manny -
McManus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderful, manny! thx!

btw, nice Avatar :-)
Spark
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnome 2 is not at all broken for me. So what. Gnome is more than the desktop, it's more a development framework and this _is_ stable (besides of details and GnomeVFS). Now they need to port the stuff but that wouldn't happen if they would never release the plattform. See? Chicken and egg problem. KDE 2.0 had the same problem (and crashed all the time). You have to start somewhere.
Sequentious
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what i did was run `gconf-editor` and navigate to "/desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager" and change the value for 'default' to "/usr/bin/sawfish". i found that i had to use the `sawfish-ui` tool to name my six workspaces ("one", "two" ...) or it wouldnt remember i had six when i restarted gnome.
McManus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spark wrote:
Gnome 2 is not at all broken for me. So what. Gnome is more than the desktop, it's more a development framework and this _is_ stable (besides of details and GnomeVFS). Now they need to port the stuff but that wouldn't happen if they would never release the plattform. See? Chicken and egg problem. KDE 2.0 had the same problem (and crashed all the time). You have to start somewhere.

You make a good point, and guess you're right... but it is fair to point out that KDE 3.0 had an almost flawless release...
Sequentious
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McManus wrote:
Spark wrote:

You make a good point, and guess you're right... but it is fair to point out that KDE 3.0 had an almost flawless release...

Well, I'd say that gnome 3 might have a flawless release, but it will be more of the same. Their roadmape illustrates that they will break 1.x compatability with 2.0, and break 2.x compatability with 3.0.

I read on slashdot an interview with Moshe Bar. one of the questions was asking if he thought the linux kernel should standardize on an api (similar to how mozilla has) so that something written to compile against 2.4.0 would work with 2.4.19 (for example). He said something to the effect of "if we change the API, its for good reason", and adds that it would be good for code to be updated to take advantage of it.

Naturally the issue is slightly different : one api change at a time versus an complete api change.

Coming from a desktop point of view, then yes. the api should be standardized, and new api functions should be added and old ones depreciated rather than being right-out replaced. However, coming from an open-source point of view, the rewrite of gnome is alot smaller than the older gnome. All their changes were meaningful and important, and while gnome is a desktop environment, it is also an opensource project.

What would be nice is if it is possible to have a gnome 2 compatability applet, in which you could place gnome 1.x applets inside it, like gaim. Basically acting as a mini-panel. anybody know C? :)
Spark
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McManus wrote:

No it is not, KDE 3 is basically just a Qt3 port of KDE 2. If it wouldn't be for Qt 3, it could as well be KDE 2.n+1.
therion12
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats very true, while KDE 3.0 is basically a eye-cany upgrade, gnome2 is more than just that. It has new apps etc for it. I found no option to switch the window manager in gnome2 but using the Session properties screen to remove metacity and then add sawfish and changing the respawn mode just as effective.

Also, for me gnome2 dispite all the new antialiasing and eye candy is still faster than Gnome 1.4 in starting programs and stuff. So far i didn't find any glitch in gnome other than the tiny GDM glitch which was recently fixed (you couldnt change to the happy gnome theme of gdm).
line72
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find gnome2 faster and much nicer looking. The only thing i hate is the lack of configuration. And I hate Gconf-editor. It's nice to have when you need to do some extra tweaking, but there should be all the options times 10 from the the gnome-1.4 control center.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: