Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Will Gentoo be LSB certified?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DesertMadman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:51 am    Post subject: Will Gentoo be LSB certified? Reply with quote

THe PR for LSB certification is here http://linuxpr.com/releases/4902.html

Does Gentoo plan to become LSB certified? I hope so - its such a good distro, it would be a shame to b reak standards - and it would make porting apps a lot easier.

The RPM as a basis for packages I heard about may be the one area where non-complice may arise. Anyone know if LSB 1.1 require RPM?
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Will Gentoo be LSB certified? Reply with quote

Quote:

Does Gentoo plan to become LSB certified? I hope so - its such a good distro, it would be a shame to b reak standards - and it would make porting apps a lot easier.

I never saw a statement from Drobbins that LSB will be an aim. So I guess, no, Gentoo will not be LSB conform any time soon. Also Gentoo is no contributor to LSB at all, so I guess they are not very interessted in where LSB goes or where it stands today.

Right now Gentoo is very far away from LSB compatibility. "Very far" here means more far away then SuSE, Mandrake, Redhat, or United Linux.

Quote:
The RPM as a basis for packages I heard about may be the one area where non-complice may arise. Anyone know if LSB 1.1 require RPM?

Yes, it requires RPM. See
http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/gLSB/gLSB/swinstall.html

Of course it's also in LSB version 1.2, see
http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/refspecs/LSB_1.2.0/gLSB/swinstall.html

But RPM by itself would not be the problem. There are ebuilds for RPM. Problems arise of the usage of scripts in rpms. E.g. scripts for handling initscripts (/usr/lib/lsb/install_initd), etc.

Cheers,
Andreas
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 12:42 pm    Post subject: we couldn't care less Reply with quote

Conformity is generally good but it starts to be a pain when things that work pretty good have to work worse to be compliant with others. Why would Gentoo need to be LSB compliant? So that people can jump from Mdk to gentoo and backwards without learning any basics? Why should gentoo cripple it's init.d format to make it look nice for LSB?
My "other" :P favorite distro is also far away from being LSB-compliant. Yet, slack's init.d is the easiest one around for every-day custom hacks...
The day I see gentoo's ebuilds circulating as SRPMs I will know I should start looking for a fresh distro... :cry:
Let others be united under bloatware "we got everything" distros, I prefer being a "separatist" under a source-built, hand-made, speeding-like-h3ll one!!! 8)

PS: h3ll is a *beep* word? hmmm....
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: we couldn't care less Reply with quote

KiTaSuMbA wrote:
Why should gentoo cripple it's init.d format to make it look nice for LSB?

Ahm, have you read the LSB specs? I think you've got some (all?) facts wrong.

Gentoo doesn't have to change it's rc format. It has to include the LSB interface for it to be compatible. I really recommend reading the specs before bashing them.

Cheers,
Andreas
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drobbins has stated that Gentoo will likely maintain the "spirit" of LSB standards, but because of a few of the more onerous requirements (surrounding RPMs, IIRC), it likely won't be LSB certified.

--kurt
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: we couldn't care less Reply with quote

asimon wrote:

Ahm, have you read the LSB specs? I think you've got some (all?) facts wrong.

Gentoo doesn't have to change it's rc format. It has to include the LSB interface for it to be compatible. I really recommend reading the specs before bashing them.

Cheers,
Andreas

Speaking of my experience:
LFS is LSB compliant, and I was hitting my head on the wall for some time 'till I figured it out. Include the LSB interface... isn't that even more complexity? If gentoo includes that interface, it either abolishes the "default" links scheme or it uses a parallel implementation with the S* / K* links... That gets pretty scary on both putting it down to work and on modifying it on your box as a J. Random admin.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was quite in favor of the LSB when it first started. Having used RPM, I am disappointed
that it is a requirement for LSB compliance. I find it ironic/amusing that I end up choosing
a non-compliant distro.
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSB compliant distributions are all fine and good, but the day I *have* to use an rpm on gentoo is the day I switch to Sorcerer or Rock.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AutoBot wrote:
the day I *have* to use an rpm on gentoo is the day I switch to Sorcerer or Rock.

lol -- hope you don't use KDE, then, because one of the dependencies of 'emerge kde' is app-arch/rpm-4.0.4-r2. I've never delved to deeply into the ebuilds to figure out what package depends on rpm and why, but I do find it amusing. :lol:

--kurt
tomte
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
AutoBot wrote:
the day I *have* to use an rpm on gentoo is the day I switch to Sorcerer or Rock.

lol -- hope you don't use KDE, then, because one of the dependencies of 'emerge kde' is app-arch/rpm-4.0.4-r2. I've never delved to deeply into the ebuilds to figure out what package depends on rpm and why, but I do find it amusing. :lol:

--kurt

it's for kpackage, IIRC, don't know which package it's itself bundled with.

regards,
tom
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
AutoBot wrote:

--kurt

I have used kde on gentoo, but I switched to the ever light and popular fluxbox and haven't looked back.
fuxored
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually installed an RPM in Gentoo, but only because I had no choice(commercial app). While I think having a standard and comformity could definately help Linux gain more recognition, I don't totally agree with the LSB. I don't care for RPM, and don't think it should be a requirment.
line72
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate rpms too. But unfortunately sometimes you do get stuck installing an rpm, but it might be nice of gentoo used a program like checkinstall (http://checkinstall.izto.org/) that after it installed something from source it put it into the rpm database. Therefore you don't ever have to use rpms, but if you decide you want to, you have a full rpm database. Might be kinda nice. please don't hate me for mentioning this : )
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is getting OT and I believe the original question has been answered.

So, locking.

--kurt
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: