View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nsahoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx Nebvin, just at the right time. I almost finished the last of the 3.2 alpha ebuilds available in the portage. I am going to try out yours now. :D
tekM
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE3.2 Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for the help. Im gonna tackle this first thing today when I get home from work. Shaaawing. :D
nsahoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was emerging kdebindings and this is what I got ..

Code:

/bin/sh ../libtool --silent --mode=compile g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/qt/3/tools/designer/uilib -I./.. -I/usr/kde/3.2/include -I/usr/qt/3/include -I/usr/X11R6/include  -DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE -DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT  -D_REENTRANT  -Wnon-virtual-dtor -Wno-long-long -Wundef -Wall -pedantic -W -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wconversion -Wchar-subscripts -DNDEBUG -DNO_DEBUG -O2 -O2 -mcpu=i686 -pipe -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common  -c -o libkjsembed_la-jsconsolewidget.lo `test -f 'jsconsolewidget.cpp' || echo './'`jsconsolewidget.cpp
jsconsolewidget.cpp:44:31: jsconsolewidget.moc: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [libkjsembed_la-jsconsolewidget.lo] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdebindings-3.2.0_alpha1/work/kdebindings-3.1.91/kjsembed'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdebindings-3.2.0_alpha1/work/kdebindings-3.1.91/kjsembed'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdebindings-3.2.0_alpha1/work/kdebindings-3.1.91'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: kde-base/kdebindings-3.2.0_alpha1 failed.
!!! Function kde_src_compile, Line 137, Exitcode 2
!!! died running emake, kde_src_compile:make

any clue as to what is going wrong? I am using Nebvin's ebuild.
nsahoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:53 pm    Post subject: kmail problem Reply with quote

Everything looks OK, except that kmail does not load mail text to the third pane automatically. But, when I double click on the mail header, it opens it in a new window with all text.

And yes there are some instabilities.
nsahoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it broke my font :( any idea how to fix it ? now my fonts are ugly in gnome too :(
tekM
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: Got it running Reply with quote

Ok, well I got KDE 3.2alpha running now. Runs pretty good. Im noticing some subtle differences/improvements over 3.1.x. I love the changes to konqueror. Tabs much improved as well as customizable toolbars etc. I cant get Kopete to run anymore. Try'd to remerge it and it still doesnt work. :cry: I went back into KDE3.1 and Kopete now fails to work there too. Oh well....time to merge gaim.

Couple of things to note: So far everything seems to work except Kopete. Im really hoping they will consider improving the default icons and themes though. Keramik and crystal were neat for a short while, but now they just make the UI look cheap and toyish. I was able to recompile Plastik for my style and Knifty for my window decor without issue thankfully. Ive also got my Steel icons back now. So far Im impressed for an alpha release. I do hope they take a moment to consider making it look more clean and professional for 3.2 final. :)
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Got it running Reply with quote

tekM wrote:
Couple of things to note: So far everything seems to work except Kopete. Im really hoping they will consider improving the default icons and themes though.

Changing the default look & feel all the time is NOT a smart thing to do! Besides, it's not rocket-science to change the defaults.
tekM
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Changing the default look & feel all the time is NOT a smart thing to do! Besides, it's not rocket-science to change the defaults."

True, but I still think they should make it more professional and less pastely and then leave it alone IMO.

On the Kopete issue, it looks like there are some much newer versions masked still. Im gonna try those tonight and see if theyll run.
tekM
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Got it running Reply with quote

"Changing the default look & feel all the time is NOT a smart thing to do! Besides, it's not rocket-science to change the defaults."

True, but I still think they should make it more professional and less pastely and then leave it alone IMO.

On the Kopete issue, it looks like there are some much newer versions masked still. Im gonna try those tonight and see if theyll run.
TinheadNed
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Using 3.2 Reply with quote

I've been trying 3.2 and am quite impressed with it, but I'm having the problem that all my paths appear to still be set to the kde 3.1 directories. I'm running the old version of aRTs (1.2.0) instead of the new one, and all the old versions of the the kde progs are loaded when using the commandline. Kopete in /usr/bin also overrides the default one, but that's okay as kopete in kdenetwork-3.2 doesn't work here - there's something wrong with the cryptography plugin

Code:
QObject::connect: No such slot KopeteContactListView::slotAddTemporaryContact()
QObject::connect:  (sender name:   'actionAddTemporaryContact')
QObject::connect:  (receiver name: 'unnamed')
kopete: relocation error: /usr/lib/kde3/kopete_cryptography.so: undefined symbol: _ZN12KopetePluginC2EP7QObjectPKc

Never mind.

Is there something I'm not doing with the paths though? And will there be a new kdeartwork ebuild, as I keep hearing exiting stuff about the new Plastik theme and I can't find it here :(
tekM
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Using 3.2 Reply with quote

Quote:
I keep hearing exiting stuff about the new Plastik theme and I can't find it here

Just go to www.kde-look.org and download the latest version of Plastik. ./configure && make && make install and youre all set. It works in 3.2 just fine.
regeya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: Yowza! Reply with quote

All I can say is wow! Too bad aRts seems to be behaving badly on this machine; the plugin I was using to connect XMMS to aRts no longer works (not that big a deal, really) and attempting to play Ogg Vorbis files from JuK brings the system to a screeching halt.

Aside from problems from the perpetually crappy aRts, everything seems to be working fine! :D
nsahoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: plastik is so kool Reply with quote

I tried it with redmond theme and some "fancy icons" - i forgot the name - and its so kool !!
TinheadNed
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you tried the XP style splash screen. One of my more militant friends is disgusted with any attempt to be an XPalike, but I really couldn't stop laughing when I saw it. Anybody with KDE 3.2 should try it - you can test it without restarting KDE. OH man.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also look at http://www.kde-look.org/ for more splash screens. Any of those splash screens marked for ksplashml will work with kde 3.2-- that's what kde 3.2's ksplash essentially is.

And more at http://www.eleceng.ohio-state.edu/~ravi/kde/ksplash.html

and http://www.shadowcom.net/Software/ksplash-ml/
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed a problem with kde 3.2.0_alpha2 and cpu usage. KDE 3.2 will be running well for a while, but then things will slow down a LOT. Running top shows that there are a few processes that are hogging up all of the CPU cycles. It seems that running things out of konsole tends to trigger this behavior, especially doing things as root/su, and especially while doing emerge-related commands.

I'm not looking for a fix -- this is an alpha release after all -- but I was wondering if anyone else noticed this behavior.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Got it running Reply with quote

tekM wrote:
So far everything seems to work except Kopete. Im really hoping they will consider improving the default icons and themes though. Keramik and crystal were neat for a short while, but now they just make the UI look cheap and toyish. I was able to recompile Plastik for my style and Knifty for my window decor without issue thankfully. Ive also got my Steel icons back now. So far Im impressed for an alpha release. I do hope they take a moment to consider making it look more clean and professional for 3.2 final. :)

They won't switch the defaults for KDE 3.2. The rationale being that switching __twice__ in a span of two minor release will confuse the users who never deviate from the default theme. The rest of us can switch as much as we like.

Both the plastik widget theme and the window dec are included in kde 3.2 anyways. A new version of crystal was imported in the last week, which looks much improved. See http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=8341&vote=good&tan=74339179

But for kde 4.x, we will see =)
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that there are ebuilds starting to appear for kde*-3.2.0_beta1 in the portage tree. However, the directories for the kde 3.2.0_beta1 source files don't seem to exist on ftp.kde.org yet.

It's probably just as well. It just so happens that this is the weekend I decided to see if openoffice-1.1.0-r1 will build on my laptop. It would be interesting to try to squeeze in a KDE build as well, but I don't have a large block of ice to put my laptop on. :twisted:

Nonetheless, I am pretty excited to see progress on the kde front. Being primarily a desktop user, continued maintenance of KDE and OpenOffice are most important to me.
caleb
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilburpan wrote:
I noticed that there are ebuilds starting to appear for kde*-3.2.0_beta1 in the portage tree. However, the directories for the kde 3.2.0_beta1 source files don't seem to exist on ftp.kde.org yet.

You're right, they're not publicly released yet. However, I have already tested them and went ahead and put in the ebuilds so that when they are released the ebuilds are already in place, in case I can't get to it at that point. :)
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, are there ebuilds for the other kde packages (kde utils, kdetoys, kdegraphics, etc.) coming?

Not that you've got gobs of free time available, I'm sure. :D
caleb
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilburpan wrote:
By the way, are there ebuilds for the other kde packages (kde utils, kdetoys, kdegraphics, etc.) coming?

Not that you've got gobs of free time available, I'm sure. :D

Yep, just as soon as I can verify that they build they will be there.

Caleb
IntergalacticWalrus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Yowza! Reply with quote

regeya wrote:
All I can say is wow! Too bad aRts seems to be behaving badly on this machine; the plugin I was using to connect XMMS to aRts no longer works (not that big a deal, really) and attempting to play Ogg Vorbis files from JuK brings the system to a screeching halt.

Aside from problems from the perpetually crappy aRts, everything seems to be working fine! :D

Speaking of that, I hope the KDE guys will scrap aRts sooner or later, or AT THE VERY LEAST allow KDE programs to access our soundcards directly. aRts is a total POS that only wastes CPU time (EVEN AT IDLE on most systems) and generally screws up access to the soundcard for non-KDE programs. IMHO, KDE would be perfect if it weren't for that stupid aRts...
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Yowza! Reply with quote

IntergalacticWalrus wrote:
Speaking of that, I hope the KDE guys will scrap aRts sooner or later, or AT THE VERY LEAST allow KDE programs to access our soundcards directly. aRts is a total POS that only wastes CPU time (EVEN AT IDLE on most systems) and generally screws up access to the soundcard for non-KDE programs. IMHO, KDE would be perfect if it weren't for that stupid aRts...

That's planned for kde 4.0.. unfortunatly they can't switch now because it'd break binary compatability between kde 3.0->3.1->3.2 (important for binary distros)

A lot of KDE developers hate arts too-- mainly because the code is very messy, and therefore, can only be touched by a handful of people.
holgi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: kdeadmin broke ??? Reply with quote

i 've install kde beta1 but kcontrol shows nothing
is that only my problem ?
holgi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: kdeadmin broken ??? Reply with quote

i 've install kde beta1 but kcontrol shows nothing
is that only my problem ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: