bad udp check sum on traceroute from box w/ NAT
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teknogeek0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: bad udp check sum on traceroute from box w/ NAT Reply with quote

OK, so here's a fun one.

I've been trying to troubleshoot a very odd traceroute/udp issue I'm seeing that I can't figure out.

I have two gateway/firewall boxes running NAT for internal hosts on two different networks (office1 and office2).
one is running 2.6.22-gentoo-r9, lets call this one gw1
the other 2.6.20-gentoo-r8, lets call this one gw2

Theres two other systems here:
a system inside either of these two lans, we'll call it lan_host1
a system out on the internet not behind nat, we'll call it outside1

From lan_host1 which is behind either gw1 or gw2 I can traceroute out fine. I can hit gw1 or gw2 from inside the opposites network, i can hit any other host on the internet ( including outside1 ).

From outside1 I can traceroute to both gw1 and gw2 no problem.

Whenever I try to traceroute from either gw1 or gw2 to any host on the internet, including each other and/or outside1, it eventually times out and fails. Running tcpdump on both hosts at the same time while doing the traceroute shows the same UDP packets at both ends, and I know that both hosts respond to traceroute otherwise. What is interesting is what tcpdump shows ( on both hosts ) of the packets in question:

Code:
$ tcpdump -nnvvS
tcpdump: listening on eth0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 68 bytes
14:31:29.322429 IP (tos 0x0, ttl   1, id 53536, offset 0, flags [none], proto: UDP (17), length: 46) gw1.53493 > gw2.33477: [bad udp cksum a015!] UDP, length 18

Both sides will see this exact same packet, so I know no other modifications to the packet are happening. Both sides show the bad udp cksum error. In IPTABLES I have the following rules:
Code:

$IPTABLES -A INPUT  -m state --state INVALID -j DROP
$IPTABLES -A FORWARD  -m state --state INVALID -j DROP
$IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -m state --state INVALID -j REJECT

If I do the following I can watch live the iptables counters:
Code:

$ watch 'iptables -nv -L | grep INVALID'  (shows the following)
18   780 DROP       all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           state INVALID
    0     0 DROP       all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           state INVALID
    0     0 REJECT     all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           state INVALID reject-with icmp-port-unreachable

Now with every attempt at the traceroute to the destined host the INVALID counters on the INPUT table increase. So I try removing that line for INPUT and not DROP'ing any of my INVALID data, but still no reply goes back to the original host. I am guessing that the kernel still drops the packet because the UDP check sum is incorrect. tcpdump will show zero reply to these traceroute attempts. I have even tried to traceroute to other networking gear including my ISPs upstream Cisco cores, and they too drop these UDP packets ( although I have not contacted them to confirm/ask their thoughts, I just know traceroute fails).

Things I can rule out:
1. non-NAT related iptables rules. outside1 runs almost the exact same rule set minus NAT related statements and forwarding.
2. ISPs blocking traceroute udp packets. I can clearly traceroute from other hosts, or from inside those networks to the opposite one.
3. hardware. all my servers use Intel cards, if it was hardware I believe I'd see a lot more issues with udp packets, etc.

Oh, a traceroute -I (for icmp) works fine.

Googling this issue in every way that I can think of returns nothing. Both boxes, with different Kernels, creating the same packets that have bad check sums. Could be something with my NAT setup, but I don't do anything that crazy with it.

Thoughts? Any help, greatly greatly appreciated. I'd also be happy to provide more info if I can.

- a stressed sys-admin.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if this applies to tcpdump, but I imagine so, because both tcpdump and wireshark are based on libpcap.

Using wireshark, I saw a lot of "bad checksum" notices on packets. After researching this, I learned that this is because my network interface card is configured to use checksum offloading (where it hands of responsibility for checksumming to the CPU). This is a feature of most modern network interface cards, and it is configurable (you can turn it on or off). Because pcap is sniffing the packet at a point where the checksum has not yet been computed, it registers it as a "bad checksum".
http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsug_html_chunked/ChAdvChecksums.html

In short, there is a good chance your traceroute problem has nothing to do with "bad checksums". If you want to confirm this, you can check and modify the network interface card's configuration using ethtool (see the man page):
Code:
emerge ethtool

ethtool -K--offload ethX [rx on|off] [tx on|off] [sg on|off] [tso on|off] [ufo on|off] [gso on|off]

Sorry I am not able to offer any additional insight into your traceroute failure.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: