correct flags for cdrecord to make an audio cd right
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 5:07 am    Post subject: correct flags for cdrecord to make an audio cd right Reply with quote

I've been trying to use cdrecord to make an audio cd that will work on every cd player I have. Now, I know the -audio flag is pretty much all there is to it, but it doesn't seem to be working right for some reason. I can play the cd on my car stereo, but it won't work on my dvd player which leads me to believe somethings up. (I've successfully done so with Adaptec CD creator before under Windows with the same cds before)
The syntax I use is: cdrecord -audio -swab -eject -pad -v speed=4 dev=0,0,0 wavefile.wav wavefile2.wav
I've tried it without -swab and it does the same thing... my dvd player is only about 2 years old, maybe less (RCA), but it tells me the disk is incompatible.
(literally says "the disk inserted is incompatible" after accessing it for about a minute or two)

What am I doing wrong? Before telling me to use other software, remember other software uses cdrecord and I like the output of cdrecord directly :) (I'm using cdrecord 1.11a27)
T2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that you created working and non-working audio cd from same cdr brand? Did you check atip info? And even if answer is yes, it could happen that two same brand-series cdr's will have slightly different physical properties. Also your dvd could be too old or its optics not enough accurate/sensitive for today's cdrw copies. I have 2 cdplayers, one can't play anything that comes from cdrw except if written on fuji(about 99% prob.), the other, newer, plays just about anything.

Flags seem quite okay, however you'll save a lot of time using xcdroast. Try non-working cd with your friend's cd. If it works anywhere else except in your dvd there's certainly no problem with cdrecord flags. Try other cdr brand, maybe even audio cdrs but these are expensive.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I'm very sure I've created a working cd from the same cd. They aren't cheap ones either, they are TDK 80-min data cdrs (all 80 mins not used, it's only a cassette recorded to wav and being converted to cd). Here's the output of the -atip flag:
Code:

scsidev: '0,0,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.22
Using libscg version 'schily-0.6'
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'ATAPI   '
Identifikation : 'CD-R/RW 8X4X32  '
Revision       : '5.AW'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO RAW/R16
ATIP info from disk:
  Indicated writing power: 5
  Is not unrestricted
  Is not erasable
  Disk sub type: Medium Type A, high Beta category (A+) (3)
  ATIP start of lead in:  -12513 (97:15/12)
  ATIP start of lead out: 359849 (79:59/74)
Disk type:    Long strategy type (Cyanine, AZO or similar)
Manuf. index: 22
Manufacturer: Ritek Co.

I'm not even sure what I'm looking for when I look at the atip info from the disk to be quite honest.
Considering how long I've been burning audio cds with different brands and playing them on my dvd player I seriously doubt it's a problem with it. I still have quite a few audio cds I've burnt out in the living room right by the dvd player that we listen to.

I'm going to do some experimentation with this, probably take the same .wav files and push them over to Windows, and burn an audio cd there. I have another brand of cdr (memorex, very poor quality) that I'm going to try also and see what output comes with that. I'm lowering the burn speed right now as we speak as I burn another one with cdrecord. Maybe speed 2 will do it. *shrugs* lower speeds to make for a better write.
T2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I understand correct: you've managed to make playable-on-all-cd-players cds with windows software, but not quite with cdrecord?
Then maybe there's some trick with padding, or switching between dao and tao writing modes
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T2 wrote:
if I understand correct: you've managed to make playable-on-all-cd-players cds with windows software, but not quite with cdrecord?
Then maybe there's some trick with padding, or switching between dao and tao writing modes

Precisely, you understood right :)

Do I need to use dao? I never quite understood what that was...
ahh hell, maybe I'll give that a shot. Right after cdparanoia stops having a fit on my Kid Rock cd with half a zillion scratches on it :(
T2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with DAO(disk at once) all data is written in one shot, making less chance for an error. With TrackAtOnce every track is written separately and with some old cdrws you'll hear pop when track starts playing. However better read official faq/howto for precise info. Maybe you'll figure out something. If I wouldn't knew my cdplayer sucked (same with winblows cdrw software) I'd give it a try and play some more with parameters. But I just ripped all my cds to mp3 and I'm playing them through xmms.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T2 wrote:
Well, with DAO(disk at once) all data is written in one shot, making less chance for an error. With TrackAtOnce every track is written separately and with some old cdrws you'll hear pop when track starts playing. However better read official faq/howto for precise info. Maybe you'll figure out something. If I wouldn't knew my cdplayer sucked (same with winblows cdrw software) I'd give it a try and play some more with parameters. But I just ripped all my cds to mp3 and I'm playing them through xmms.

Yeah, thats what I do on this machine. (nice to have 120 gigs :) )... I'm -> <- this close to picking up one of the newer players that have MP3 playing ability so I don't need to worry about CDDA limitations. I'll give DAO a shot and see what that does!

thanka
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: