uninstallation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thekillerbean
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 3:32 am    Post subject: uninstallation Reply with quote

let's say i install an app and then decide it's not good for me, how do i go about removing it from my system so as to free up that space?

windows is known to keep copies of unecessary files from past uninstalls - is there any 'guarantee' (i know - can't i at least dream?) that when an app is uninstalled it will go with all the files it brought with it? i'm asking cause i plan on trying everything out there for linux at least once, uninstalling the ones i don't like.
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emerge keeps a file manifest for the package it installs. When you remove a package, all files that have been installed by it will be removed if they have not been updated by a different package, the file has not been modified since, if an installed directory is not empty due to some reason, etc.

However, packages that were installed in order to satisfy dependencies will not be automagically removed. There are some scripts in the Tips and Tricks forum that can help you do this. Also, qpkg will also let you check for package "reverse" dependencies.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: