View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MBCook
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 4:52 pm    Post subject: Can't install KDE Multimedia Reply with quote

I'm trying to install KDE but I can't. It requires KDE Multimedia, but whenever emerge gets to compiling that, it does some stuff then kicks me back to the console (i'm not running in X) with some complaints.

To try to help you guys out, I ran "emerge kdemultimedia > errors.txt 2>errors2.txt" so maybe you could tell me what's going on.

The output of errors.txt is long, so here is the last part.

Code:
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I../../arts/runtime -I../../arts/midi -I../../arts/midi -I../../arts/gui/common -I../../arts/gui/common -I./freeverb -I/usr/kde/3/include/arts -I/usr/kde/3/include -I/usr/qt/3/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -D_REENTRANT -DNDEBUG -O2 -march=i686 -O2 -pipe -c c_filter_stuff.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/c_filter_stuff.o
creating libartsmodules_la.all_cc.cc ...
/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=compile --tag=CXX i686-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I../../arts/runtime -I../../arts/midi -I../../arts/midi -I../../arts/gui/common -I../../arts/gui/common -I./freeverb -I/usr/kde/3/include/arts -I/usr/kde/3/include -I/usr/qt/3/include -I/usr/X11R6/include   -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT  -D_REENTRANT  -DNDEBUG -DNO_DEBUG -O2 -march=i686 -O2 -pipe -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE -DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST  -c -o libartsmodules_la.all_cc.lo `test -f libartsmodules_la.all_cc.cc || echo './'`libartsmodules_la.all_cc.cc
i686-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I../../arts/runtime -I../../arts/midi -I../../arts/midi -I../../arts/gui/common -I../../arts/gui/common -I./freeverb -I/usr/kde/3/include/arts -I/usr/kde/3/include -I/usr/qt/3/include -
I/usr/X11R6/include -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -D_REENTRANT -DNDEBUG -DNO_DEBUG -O2 -march=i686 -O2 -pipe -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE -DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST -c libartsmodules_la.all_cc.cc  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/libartsmodules_la
.all_cc.o

The output of errors2.txt is short, so here it is:

Code:
configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use --host.
    If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used.
trying to create local folder: Permission denied
failed to create /root/.kde/share/config/
libtool: link: warning: `-version-info' is ignored for programs
./artsbuilder.idl: warning: Arts::StructurePortDesc::constructor (method) collid
es with Arts::PortDesc::constructor (method)
./kgraph_impl.h:0: Warning: No relevant classes found. No output generated.
make[1]: *** make[3]: make[2]: *** *** [all-recursive] Hangupwait: No child proc
esses
.  Stop.
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[2]: *** wait: No child processes.  Stop.
wait: No child processes.  Stop.
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[1]: *** wait: No child processes.  Stop.
make: *** [all] Error 2

This is driving me nuts because I want to try KDE but I don't know why this is happening. I haven't had any other problems compiling thigns, etc.

What's really weird is that I have been doing most of this through ssh. But whenever it gets to failing on KDE Multimedia, my ssh client just exits, like I got dropped or something. I'm doing this over a LAN because I'm to lazy to walk into the room next door.

When I do it on the computer it's self (physically, not through SSH or something) then the error is a little different, complaining of getting sent a signal 15, which makes no sense to me. It looks like it's getting killed, but I'm not doing it and there are no other users.

Any ideas?

Read an intelligent book like "The New Thought Police" or "The War Against Boys", and learn the TRUTH.
Russki
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is driving me nuts because I want to try KDE but I don't know why this is happening. I haven't had any other problems compiling thigns, etc.

To try KDE you don't really need kdemultimedia. Arts, kdelibs and kde-base should do it. I had the same problem a few times, nothing would help. So I would skip the kdemultimedia part and try to build it later, when kde is up and running. It allways work for me thise way, don't know why.
Greetings

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd. Well, configured and built it by hand as described in the Gentoo FAQ, and it installed that way. I still don't know what was wrong with it. Thanks though. I'm waiting on the rest of KDE to compile right now.
MBCook
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That guest was me, forgot to log in. Thanks again.

Read an intelligent book like "The New Thought Police" or "The War Against Boys", and learn the TRUTH.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: