View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: KDE 4 in gentoo portage? - Part 2 Reply with quote

Continued from part 1: KDE 4 in gentoo portage?
In the original post, mrpringle wrote:
Hey,
I'm just wondering how long it may take for KDE 4 to appear in portage after it has been officially released (Days, weeks, months?)

Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE 4 in gentoo portage? - Part 2 Reply with quote

timeBandit wrote:
Hey,
I'm just wondering how long it may take for KDE 4 to appear in portage after it has been officially released (Days, weeks, months?)

Answer: Months! :wink: :mrgreen:
mhelvens
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: KDE 4 in gentoo portage? - Part 2 Reply with quote

Kollin wrote:
Hey,

Answer: Months! :wink: :mrgreen:

If we're lucky. :wink:

Neh, just kidding. I appreciate the work the volunteers do for free. And I don't plan on using KDE 4 until 4.2 anyway.
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: KDE 4 in gentoo portage? - Part 2 Reply with quote

timeBandit wrote:
Hey,

Not really the best way to start this thread. Now you've gone and created a duplicate thread that's totally useless. Perhaps a summary of the main points from the first thread would've been better? (And why do you do this "Part 1" "Part 2" "Part 3" thing? What's wrong with long threads?)
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: KDE 4 in gentoo portage? - Part 2 Reply with quote

AllenJB wrote:
timeBandit wrote:
Hey,
Not really the best way to start this thread. Now you've gone and created a duplicate thread that's totally useless. Perhaps a summary of the main points from the first thread would've been better? (And why do you do this "Part 1" "Part 2" "Part 3" thing? What's wrong with long threads?)
Probably so, but I certainly haven't time to read and summarize over 700 posts. The topic is not "totally useless"--it's been quite active recently, which is why I continued it here rather than just lock and unstick it. However it has drifted somewhat from the original question though and I admit I could have done better than re-post that.

We chain popular threads like this because the forum software gets cranky with threads that exceed 30 pages.
acidlog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think gentoo needs more developer in some areas because many packages will be maintained very good but other there are understaffed. i think there are any applications they need more people and have a higher priority because the request of the community is higher (e.g. KDE) than other.

i dont say that the existing developer do not good work. (excepting black sheeps are everywhere on the world :)) i think there are many people who would help to develop and they should be faster integrated into gentoo developer teams.

the best way here is you NEED 10 developer, but you have 20 so when someone goes to holidays a other can continue the job.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yes, it surely would help to have thousands of developers at hand, wouldn't it? But then, one of the world's best supercars of all time, the McLaren F1, was built by a team of never more than 25 engineers. ;)
acidlog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont like this comparison with a car. its not constructive. as long as the world goes on things will be change. you can be sure the the complete crew with of mclaren is a little bit greater. i dont speak from thousand of developers but 25 for kde i think that will be good. yes and i know they do it mostly in their off time from work but therefore you have enough other they can continue the work.
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The official KDE 4.1 ebuilds appear to be approximately 95.68% done, of which 92.11% have 4.1.1 ebuilds. :mrgreen:
phil_r
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I'm a "purist" and want the official Gentoo tree for KDE 4.1, I'd like to use the overlay, but I just can't get layman to work behind my proxy - even with:#-----------------------------------------------------------
# Proxy support
#
proxy : http://172.16.48.1:3128

in layman.cfg, I always get:
undertaker games-fps # layman -a kdesvn-portage
* Running command "/usr/bin/git clone "git://dev.gentooexperimental.org/kde-overlay.git/" "/usr/local/portage/layman/kdesvn-portage""...
Initialized empty Git repository in /usr/local/portage/layman/kdesvn-portage/.git/
fatal: Unable to look up dev.gentooexperimental.org (port 9418) (Temporary failure in name resolution)
* Failed to add overlay "kdesvn-portage".
* Error was: Directory /usr/local/portage/layman/kdesvn-portage does not exist. Cannot remove the overlay!

I believe it's actually an issue with Git but nothing I've found online helps... anyone have any ideas?
reavertm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: about KDE4 support threads Reply with quote

Hello, there is ongoing proposition regarding organising KDE4 related threads - please express objections if you have any.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-5220200.html
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The official KDE 4.1 ebuilds appear to be approximately 97.09% done, of which 91.76% have 4.1.1 ebuilds.
It seems so sloooooow :roll:
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, it's almost finished. Think positive. ;)

I'm on kde-4.2 now anyway, but I'll have to switch to kde-testing on my notebook in order to keep 4.1.1 (no experiments there). Which means I'm going to check current ebuild quality firsthand. :)
MorpheuS.Ibis
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phil_r wrote:
As much as I'm a "purist" and want the official Gentoo tree for KDE 4.1, I'd like to use the overlay, but I just can't get layman to work behind my proxy

have you tried using snapshot from gitweb (http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/kde.git;a=snapshot;h=HEAD;sf=tgz)? it is not layman but does basically the same thing (apart from easy updates, which are not much needed after emerging kde, which takes some time)

anyway, please *don't* post percetage estimates, they are based on number of packages in kde-testing and kdesvn-portage, which does not reflect the progress. now most work done is testing (check kde-testing shortlog)

and one more thing, it works, I am using it on my new laptop without (installation-related) problems :)
stanislaw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MorpheuS.Ibis wrote:
anyway, please *don't* post percetage estimates, they are based on number of packages in kde-testing and kdesvn-portage, which does not reflect the progress.

Although I don't really believe in the percentage estimates, they're one of the reasons I'm watching this thread ... so please keep on posting! :)
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MorpheuS.Ibis wrote:
and one more thing, it works, I am using it on my new laptop without (installation-related) problems :)

Are you running kde-4.1 exclusively? Because no matter how I'm shuffling USE-flags around, I'm getting blockages. Basically, kdelibs-4.1.1-r2 and kdelibs-3.5.10 don't like each other (kdnssd-avahi blocks kdelibs-4...). I wouldn't need avahi in kdelibs-3, but when I remove that flag, it pulls in mDNSResponder instead which leads to further blocks...
Boccaccio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem with kdnssd-avahi blocking kdelibs-4.1.1-r2
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created my own kdelibs-3.5.10 ebuild now which won't pull in mDNSResponder if avahi and bindist are disabled. Emerging now... let's see if it works. ;)
MorpheuS.Ibis
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I have kde4-1 only (same as gcc4.3 and qt4.4), I installed it last weekend and did not install anything from kde-3 (using kde-testing)

only blockages I got were X related (mesa depends on mesa-utils, mesa-utils depends on opengl, opengl depends on mesa. a perfect circle with no "soft" way out) but nothiing in kde (installed using sets, not meta packages)
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stanislaw wrote:
MorpheuS.Ibis wrote:
anyway, please *don't* post percetage estimates, they are based on number of packages in kde-testing and kdesvn-portage, which does not reflect the progress.

Although I don't really believe in the percentage estimates, they're one of the reasons I'm watching this thread ... so please keep on posting! :)

The percentages come from this site, but they are basically meaningless now since the remaining percentages are mostly koffice and some other alpha/beta-grade software which we won't see in the official tree until they're more "mature." A more interesting way to watch the progress is to look at the GIT summary, or even subscribe to its RSS feed.
joey_g
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kollin wrote:
The official KDE 4.1 ebuilds appear to be approximately 97.09% done, of which 91.76% have 4.1.1 ebuilds.

The official KDE 4.1 ebuilds appear to be approximately 96.73% done, of which 92.11% have 4.1.1 ebuilds. :twisted:
ggaaron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AM088 wrote:
A more interesting way to watch the progress is to look at the GIT summary, or even subscribe to its RSS feed.

Thanks for this git summary!
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joey_g wrote:
Kollin wrote:

The official KDE 4.1 ebuilds appear to be approximately 96.73% done, of which 92.11% have 4.1.1 ebuilds. :twisted:

This trick again :? :cry:
Boccaccio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blocking problem can actually be solved by setting the kdeprefix use flag.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know - however my modified kdelibs-3.5.10 ebuild worked too. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: