[SOLVED]Inconsistency detected by ld.so
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TidusBlade
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: [SOLVED]Inconsistency detected by ld.so Reply with quote

Was just watching a video in Kaffeine when it terminated with no errors, ran it through the GUI so no output I guess. Tried running it in the terminal and got this error:
Code:

Inconsistency detected by ld.so: ../sysdeps/i386/dl-machine.h: 550: elf_machine_rel_relative: Assertion '((reloc->r_info) & 0xff) == 8' failed!

I watched it with SMplayer fine so I ignored the error. But then later that day, Amarok crashed aswell and gave out the same error when trying to start it up in the terminal. And today morning, rebooted, in hopes it would help or something, and the X server started but said KDEinit encountered problems. So I tried starting it up using a tty session, and it gave out the same error as above. Almost every GUI program gives out that error now, even though I can't use a GUI. I googled around and tried recompiling glibc, but no effect. Someone suggested it could be faulty RAM or if you added RAM recently, but the last I added RAM was over 6 months ago, before I touched Gentoo.

Also suggested was recompiling/reinstalling libc and gcc, but before I do any of that, I thought I'd post this here. And I also remember someone mentioning missing dependencies or corrupt dependencies. My hard disk was at 100% full capacity, couldn't even wget a JPEG image, for about 6 - 8 hours on the same day the error happened so could that have anything to do with this? I'll run memtest and edit back here in any case =]

Thanks in advance, will really appreciate any replies =]

//EDIT: I checked /etc/ld.so.conf and it seems it was generated by env-update, so I ran env-update to regenerate the file, but that didn't work either.

//EDIT2: Ran memtest86+ last night for 6 hours while I slept, and only 1 error on test #4, so I doubt it's my RAM...

Still open to ANY ideas and suggestions, I've pretty much tried every single solution I know and found by googling, and no results yet :(
Something that I didn't try but was wondering, should I run Portage to update all my packages, since I read somewhere that the error could be caused by corrupt packages/deps etc. ?

Last edited by TidusBlade on Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
TidusBlade
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate bumping but I had to do it :P
Hopefully someone has an idea or something =]
muhsinzubeir
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have u tried to check for broken stuffs?
Code:
revdep-rebuild

P:S
im not sure, but im guessing some library issues...you could also try updating glibc or rebuild entire system(i dont mean reinstallation i mean->system+world).
Nvidia GT200
http://www.zanbytes.com
TidusBlade
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'll try that then, I just haven't had a pleasant experience updating everything at once... But it was better than this :P
I'll edit this out when I finish doing the stuff you mentioned :D

And thanks for the reply, really appreciate it =]
Akkara
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TidusBlade wrote:
Ran memtest86+ last night for 6 hours while I slept, and only 1 error on test #4, so I doubt it's my RAM...

*Any* error from memtest is too many.

*Do Not* compile anything or do anything on a machine with bad ram.

Depending how long this has been going on, you really can't know what the machine is doing anymore. It could be nothing, if a fleeting frame of video happened to be stored there, or it could be important filesystem information that got corrupted, or from the description of your problem, compilation results.

Don't do anything until you have a machine with clean, working memory. Remove the stick, replace the stick, downclock it, do whatever it takes to pass memtest over 24 hours. Alternatively, pull the hard disk and use another, working machine, and chroot from there.

Then start with a fsck of all filesystems, and repair if necessary. Keep in mind that some filesystem's fsck doesn't actually do anything, and you need to use a filesystem-specific checker and fixer. (xfs is one example, if you have that filesystem you need to use xfs_check and xfs_repair.)

Follow that up with a emerge --sync (in case the portage tree got corrupted), and a emerge -e system. Hopefully the damage was small and contained to a few files and this will fix any important stuff that might have broke. Then finish with emerge -e world to fix the rest.
TidusBlade
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akkara wrote:
*Any* error from memtest is too many.

*Do Not* compile anything or do anything on a machine with bad ram.

Guess I should've known better xD I remember I ran memtest for several hours before this and had no problems, but that was quite some time ago... Probably compiled tons of stuff with bad RAM without knowing =
Akkara wrote:
uot;]Don't do anything until you have a machine with clean, working memory. Remove the stick, replace the stick, downclock it, do whatever it takes to pass memtest over 24 hours. Alternatively, pull the hard disk and use another, working machine, and chroot from there.

Hmmm, I got a few sticks of RAM, I'll try those first, although I'll probably have to buy new RAM, so better start looking around :P

Akkara wrote:
Then start with a fsck of all filesystems, and repair if necessary. Keep in mind that some filesystem's fsck doesn't actually do anything, and you need to use a filesystem-specific checker and fixer. (xfs is one example, if you have that filesystem you need to use xfs_check and xfs_repair.)

I check all my partitions at least every week and rarely have errors, so I'll leave hard disks to the last...

Akkara wrote:
Follow that up with a emerge --sync (in case the portage tree got corrupted), and a emerge -e system. Hopefully the damage was small and contained to a few files and this will fix any important stuff that might have broke. Then finish with emerge -e world to fix the rest.

Well, I already did one of the system, probably with the bad RAM, so I'll try the stuff you mentioned above first then emerge -e system and emerge -e world.

Thanks a lot for the reply =] Never really knew where to start, so I'll try changing RAM around and using memtest and I'll post back if there's anything out of the ordinary =]

//EDIT: Well, just figured out it is my RAM, so I'll just upgrade my RAM and hopefully after re-emerging, everything should work =] Thanks again ^^

//EDIT2: Replaced my RAM and memtest had no errors when I ran it for about ~21 hours so that must be good =] Thanks again Akkara, got my Gentoo working again ^_~
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: