Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Why does the kernel view USB flash drives as SCSI drives?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jordanwb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Why does the kernel view USB flash drives as SCSI drives? Reply with quote

When configuring the kernel I disabled SCSI because I thought that I didn't need it (seeing that I don't have a SCSI controller), or so I thought. I plugged in my USB drive and it wasn't detected. I recompiled with SCSI support and it worked. So why are USB flash drives viewed as SCSI drives?
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just USB flash drives... same goes for SATA drives, Firewire drives, and in the near future even IDE drives. And of course for SCSI drives as well.

It's not only you who gets confused by this. It would probably be clearer if they relabeled the basic drives support in the SCSI section, to 'Generic support for hot-pluggable drives', because that's essentially what the SCSI layer does, it manages hotplugged addition and removals of drive, a functionality that is required and thus shared for SATA, USB, Firewire, etc.

You do not actually have SCSI support in your kernel for actual SCSI drives per se without adding a driver for a specific SCSI controller (which is in yet another submenu below SCSI support).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: