Installing Gentoo on a Sun Ultra 10 [UltraSPARC, OLD comp]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zach_the_Lizard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Installing Gentoo on a Sun Ultra 10 [UltraSPARC, OLD comp] Reply with quote

I'm trying to install Gentoo on an old Sun Ultra 10 workstation my dad had. It has, IIRC, 128 MB of RAM, a Sun Ultra 2 processor that runs at the blazing speed of 300Mhz, and about a 4 Gb hard drive. Yes, I am a sadomasochist :twisted:.

Well, I plug the computer up, put in the Gentoo CD, tell it to boot off it, and all appears well. However, it will not actually let me log in. When it gets to the point where it is supposed to automatically log in, it flashes text that goes like this:

"livecd: root (automatic login)

Module not found

INIT: c1 respawning too fast; disabled for 5 minutes"

It repeats this several times, for c1 through six. Pressing enter does nothing, and switching to other consoles just displays the same message. Waiting 5 minutes just repeats the process, presumably forever. It does this both with and without video. Having never ever had a problem like this before, I must call upon the vast wealth of knowledge this forums has.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would highly discourage you from using the LiveCD to install Gentoo, especially on that machine. I would recommend a minimal installation. You don't have to download a new installation disc though. You can simply pass the nox kernel parameter during the boot process.

Code:

gentoo nox

If that doesn't work for you, please just post back and we will find another solution for you. :)
Zach_the_Lizard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, your suggestion didn't work. However, using the 2007.0 CD did work. Apparantly there are some bugs in the 2008 beta 2 cd. Now let's see how long it takes for it to get from stage3 to fluxbox. I won't even try GNOME or KDE. With a total of 4.3 Gb of disk space, of which I've used about .3 GB for swap and /boot, I'm thinking I'm going as light as possible.

Perhaps in a few days, when the dust settles and it probably has finished compiling, I'll come back and post from the Sun machine.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Gentoo on Sparc.
Better off in here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Zach_the_Lizard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Ultra 10 ddin't have enough diskspace to actually get Gentoo installed, so for now it has Debian installed. It does allow me to test out a few things, such as SSH. Until now, I've never used SSH, but have heard that it is useful. Having used it to try and install Gentoo and Debian, I now see its utility. It's really nice for me to be able to run X apps from my computer and have them display on another. It helps get around the fact that that computer is really slow. It's also nice to use SSH to install Gentoo. Nothing beats being able to do whatever while still compiling at full speed.
armin76
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that was fixed in the final 2008.0 release.

As for the 4gb space, you sure? Gentoo only needs less than 1gb.
billr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a new install on an Ultra 10 with 4G disk and it works just fine. I partitioned into /, /usr, /var, /home and swap. I used the current 2008.0 universal CD for installation. One thing to watch out for is that with only a 1.8GB /usr partition, you need to create extra inodes or it will run out due to all the little portage files. (The error says no more filespace, but 'df' shows only 48% used. Running 'dumpe2fs' will show all the inodes are used up.) I used:
mk2efs -j -t news /dev/hdb3
to create the /usr filesystem and started over and all was ok.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: