Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Testing the G5, part 1
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pvdabeel
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 25 Mar 2003
Posts: 188
Location: Belgium

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zojas wrote:
so come on guys, this thread has been posted on macslash & /.

oubipaws, dcstimm, can you please post your /proc/cpuinfo, dmesg, lspci -v ??


People,

Let me repeat that *things have NOT been verified yet*. I'd like to see Gentoo running on the G5, and we will have updated documentation, livecds stages etc that is G5 compatible as soon as Gentoo runs on the G5.

As far as I know, *none* of the Gentoo developers that are working on support for the G5 have so far been able to verify oubipaws claims, and let me repeat we're highly skeptical. Let me also repeat also that the first thing I have done when I first saw this thread was to speak to the upstream kernel developer (benh) and ask whether it was possible. He confirmed that chances were *remote*. It's up to oubipaws to confirm he's running linux on his g5 by posting dmesg output, cat /proc/cpuinfo, lspci etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oniq
Guru
Guru


Joined: 02 Sep 2002
Posts: 597
Location: Connecticut

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing oubipaws is researching what a dmesg from a G5 might look like.
_________________
open like a child's mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t


Joined: 30 Mar 2003
Posts: 955

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oniq wrote:
I'm guessing oubipaws is researching what a dmesg from a G5 might look like.


Oooo yes.. you got me now :D
Maybe I'm trying to get the kernel to compile the ethernet drivers so that I can set up a SSH server and allow some people on it who would like something more than me posting dmesg, cflags, uname, and benchmarks....

My friend and I will be working on this most of the night and hope to have it up and running by tomorrow... I'm afraid I can only allow a few people on (its a slow cable connection)
pvdabeel and oniq, I'm assuming you guys want on right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pvdabeel
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 25 Mar 2003
Posts: 188
Location: Belgium

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oubipaws wrote:
oniq wrote:
I'm guessing oubipaws is researching what a dmesg from a G5 might look like.


Oooo yes.. you got me now :D
Maybe I'm trying to get the kernel to compile the ethernet drivers so that I can set up a SSH server and allow some people on it who would like something more than me posting dmesg, cflags, uname, and benchmarks....

My friend and I will be working on this most of the night and hope to have it up and running by tomorrow... I'm afraid I can only allow a few people on (its a slow cable connection)
pvdabeel and oniq, I'm assuming you guys want on right?


A quick dmesg, cat /proc/cpuinfo and lspci will do for now. We don't want to let down our slashdot and macslash readers don't we? (If you're logged on to the machine now, just execute them and paste the results here :) )
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ernstp
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 19 Aug 2002
Posts: 155
Location: Lund - Sweden

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
dmesg

Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo

Code:
lspci

Code:
uname -a
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t


Joined: 30 Mar 2003
Posts: 955

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple G5 Gentoo...... Now referred to as DuxG5
After working with the machine and talking with the owner (my roomate Ryan), we have decided to in fact not release the information concerning this project for gentoo. Considering how many people have doubted our abilities, we have decided to release something called "DuxG5". The reason for releasing this product for Dux is due to the number of people who are curious about the idea, and because of as I stated before, the level of doubting concerning our ability to do as what we say we can do.

DuxG5, will be a stage 3 + binaries install disc that will be released on October 15th. It will include the basic software needed to run the system including KDE, Kernel 2.6test5 (ppc64), and many other programs.
I will be posting more information on the Dux Linux website (www.dux-linux.org) once we get the new server up this weekend.
G5 Kernels will be released next week packaged with the new unstable release of Dux referred to as 'Cypher'

Anyone who has a G5, or knows the hardware and wants to help out with DuxG5, please contact either:
Oubipaws <oubipaws@myrealbox.com>
or
Gothic_Snoopy <gothic_snoopy@yahoo.com> * Project Leader *

I wish we could have worked with the gentoo guys, or at least I wish that I could have, but you guys have shown nothing to give us any reason to work with you...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Khan Artist
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 21 Jan 2003
Posts: 210
Location: Texas, USA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oubipaws wrote:
I wish we could have worked with the gentoo guys, or at least I wish that I could have, but you guys have shown nothing to give us any reason to work with you...


Quite the contrary. You have given absolutely no reason to make anyone believe you are worth working with.

A few bits of information would have made people quite willing to believe you and help you, but now you have for all practical purposes proven you are bluffing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oniq
Guru
Guru


Joined: 02 Sep 2002
Posts: 597
Location: Connecticut

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oubipaws wrote:
Apple G5 Gentoo...... Now referred to as DuxG5
After working with the machine and talking with the owner (my roomate Ryan), we have decided to in fact not release the information concerning this project for gentoo. Considering how many people have doubted our abilities, we have decided to release something called "DuxG5". The reason for releasing this product for Dux is due to the number of people who are curious about the idea, and because of as I stated before, the level of doubting concerning our ability to do as what we say we can do.

DuxG5, will be a stage 3 + binaries install disc that will be released on October 15th. It will include the basic software needed to run the system including KDE, Kernel 2.6test5 (ppc64), and many other programs.
I will be posting more information on the Dux Linux website (www.dux-linux.org) once we get the new server up this weekend.
G5 Kernels will be released next week packaged with the new unstable release of Dux referred to as 'Cypher'

Anyone who has a G5, or knows the hardware and wants to help out with DuxG5, please contact either:
Oubipaws <oubipaws@myrealbox.com>
or
Gothic_Snoopy <gothic_snoopy@yahoo.com> * Project Leader *

I wish we could have worked with the gentoo guys, or at least I wish that I could have, but you guys have shown nothing to give us any reason to work with you...


Oooooooooh please. No one believes you anymore. Your hijacking of this thread is over.
_________________
open like a child's mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pvdabeel
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 25 Mar 2003
Posts: 188
Location: Belgium

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's make this thread even more hilarious:

I've just received word that SCO is prepared to show us they have ported linux to the G5, but we need to sign NDA's to get proof. Rumor has it they will release their proof to the people who didn't sign the NDA on october 15th or when upstream ppc kernel developer benh finishes working on it.
SCO clailms that once again it has proven to be a trendsetter in the Linux/PPC world and everyone else just copies their work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
frankOnPPC
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 26 May 2003
Posts: 169
Location: Fulda, Hessen, Germany, Europe, Earth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really ?

I just heard at the IAA in Frankfurt, DaimlerChrysler use the new G5 XServ with BlueAndWhiteDogDivingLinux on their Maybach Luxury Car to make it more carefully diving and distribute the car with a nice graphical display for the echolot and the radar, also for having a nice UI for the navigation System.

This car is realy advanced, but the fuel Injection system runs with a Z80 from Zilog and with an early version of IBMs OS/half. That possibly is the reason for the ugly high need of gasoline.

I just thought, its september, not the first of april.... ;-)

krgds,
Frank
_________________
always look at yellow site of Linux on the PPC.
Its PPCNUX.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cselkirk
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 09 Jun 2003
Posts: 199
Location: NL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oubipaws wrote:
.. we have decided to in fact not release the information concerning this project for gentoo.

And that is entirly your perogative, however, you should undertand the repercusions of such an action, as firstly you leave your self open to accusations of fakery (which is precisesly what you are claiming to be reacting to) and secondly, you constitute and enforce what is a key factor in closed source/propritory models, the monopoly on information (precisely what Free Software/OSS is a reaction to). I don't particularly care if the G5 is booting, or need any evidence of this, nor do I particularly care for the "gentoo" who you feel has harmed you in such a way that posting a lspci is simply out of the question. I don't see gentoo as such a homiginized creature, nor do I see any advantage to be gained from withholding information from other Linux users .. it's simply counter productive.

You have to wonder what happened between the ".. set up a ssh server and allow some people on it" and "we have decided to .. not release the information"

oubipaws wrote:
DuxG5, will be a stage 3 + binaries install disc that will be released on October 15th. It will include the basic software needed to run the system including KDE, Kernel 2.6test5 (ppc64), and many other programs.I will be posting more information on the Dux Linux website (www.dux-linux.org) once we get the new server up this weekend. G5 Kernels will be released next week packaged with the new unstable release of Dux referred to as 'Cypher'

oh .. so now you play the distribution game .. s'ok .. soon you will have your own little cadre of users to jump up and down and make claims of curing baldness and the like .. as if we don't have enough of this from (some) gentoo users.

oubipaws wrote:
I wish we could have worked with the gentoo guys, or at least I wish that I could have, but you guys have shown nothing to give us any reason to work with you...

Hey .. this is a user forum .. if you want to have a distro war with the "gentoo guys" then you should do so on #irc .. in some private channel .. in some far off galaxy.
_________________
cn=cselkirk,dc=xs4all,dc=nl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
genfoo
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 17 Apr 2003
Posts: 192

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankOnPPC wrote:
really ?

I just heard at the IAA in Frankfurt, DaimlerChrysler use the new G5 XServ with BlueAndWhiteDogDivingLinux on their Maybach Luxury Car to make it more carefully diving and distribute the car with a nice graphical display for the echolot and the radar, also for having a nice UI for the navigation System.

This car is realy advanced, but the fuel Injection system runs with a Z80 from Zilog and with an early version of IBMs OS/half. That possibly is the reason for the ugly high need of gasoline.

I just thought, its september, not the first of april.... ;-)

krgds,
Frank


LOL, I want that BlueAndWhiteDogDivingLinux you talk about, sounds like it would fit my home decor quite well.

Oh well, guess the G5 really doesn't run Gentoo yet ... not a big surprise really as the hardware support is not quite there in the kernel yet. The sad part is people making big claims and then running when their bluff is called. I guess they are too busy playing Amercia's Army on the G5 :P
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lycander
Guru
Guru


Joined: 10 Apr 2003
Posts: 468

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question:

Has anyone bothered to reinstall OSX in a smaller partition (half HD capacity) on a G5 system then begin the Gentoo install from within OSX? Stage1 perhaps?

Does Fink work OK in 10.2.7 (or whatever it is)? Because then we could just use those tools rather than the ones we would have in a stage3 tarball, then it's just a matter of building portage after to do the initial setup. C'mon, gcc is right there in OSX, use it!
_________________
* Blessing /dev/hda2 with holy penguin pee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
genfoo
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 17 Apr 2003
Posts: 192

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that would work as you expect it to ... you can't really chroot into a Linux env from OSX and expect things to work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lycander
Guru
Guru


Joined: 10 Apr 2003
Posts: 468

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I just thought it'd be cool though.

Ok I got another crazy idea, you ready?

Put plan ol' Darwin on and then Portage. Build the rest from source.
_________________
* Blessing /dev/hda2 with holy penguin pee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
genfoo
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 17 Apr 2003
Posts: 192

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ready ... but it's the same scenerio there as well.... Darwin _is_ the core of OSX pretty much hehe. If it was that easy to port things a lot of hard core coders would be out of business ;)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TenPin
Guru
Guru


Joined: 26 Aug 2002
Posts: 500
Location: Kansas City

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From
Quote:

but the system runs extremely fast and had no problems during install

To
Quote:

Its not working all so well because it was a rushed job but it is bootable

And
Quote:

Currently, I have Suse's 64bit distro (which was designed for AMD) install along with Mac OS X...

Ahhh I understand now, you ported Suse Linux x86-64 to PPC64 in a few days. Of course ! 64bit means that it will run on ANY 64bit processor ! If only the IA64 guys had known this.
Quote:

but you guys have shown nothing to give us any reason to work with you...

Life is harsh. Let me guess, dmesg, cat /proc/cpuinfo and lspci had unresolvable compile problems on x86-64 for PPC ?
Quote:

G5 Kernels will be released next week packaged with the new unstable release of Dux referred to as 'Cypher'

I can't wait.

In other news Gentoo has been ported to Collins Pocket Electronic Thesaurus. Synonym kernels will be released next week packaged with the new unstable release of Pox reffered to as 'Morpheus'.

It has been said that this new platform heralds a new era of hithertoo unseen performance levels. Unofficial and unconfirmed speculation on rumours suggests that KDE compiles in less than 30 seconds. :lol:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lycander
Guru
Guru


Joined: 10 Apr 2003
Posts: 468

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genfoo wrote:
I'm ready ... but it's the same scenerio there as well.... Darwin _is_ the core of OSX pretty much hehe. If it was that easy to port things a lot of hard core coders would be out of business ;)

Indeed. I got too excited. Forgot about the finer details, like hardware support :roll:
_________________
* Blessing /dev/hda2 with holy penguin pee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Isaiah
Guru
Guru


Joined: 25 Feb 2003
Posts: 359

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lycander wrote:
I got too excited.

Excitement (in this case) is a good thing - please don't stop - w00f!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
redog
n00b
n00b


Joined: 06 Nov 2002
Posts: 34

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: *ding* its been a week Reply with quote

oubipaws where is the binary kernel? :twisted: www.dux-linux.org isn't up... :cry: Can I sign up for shell access to the G5 64bit gentoo/suse/x86-64 monster:?: Excuse my ignorance but when will you be releasing those benchmarks. :wink: I find it oddly funny that your site http://dux.sunsite.dk starts with a flash intro. Don't you know the ppc linux binarys for the flash plugin are not avaliable? Hardly kosher for a site promoteing a ppc linux distro!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lycander
Guru
Guru


Joined: 10 Apr 2003
Posts: 468

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: *ding* its been a week Reply with quote

redog wrote:
I find it oddly funny that your site http://dux.sunsite.dk starts with a flash intro. Don't you know the ppc linux binarys for the flash plugin are not avaliable? Hardly kosher for a site promoteing a ppc linux distro!

Dual boot with OSX and ye shall have Flash plugin. Mayhap Flash still works in MOL?
_________________
* Blessing /dev/hda2 with holy penguin pee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t


Joined: 30 Mar 2003
Posts: 955

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: *ding* its been a week Reply with quote

redog wrote:
Quote:
oubipaws where is the binary kernel? :twisted: www.dux-linux.org isn't up... :cry:

I find it oddly funny that your site http://dux.sunsite.dk starts with a flash intro. Don't you know the ppc linux binarys for the flash plugin are not avaliable? Hardly kosher for a site promoteing a ppc linux distro!


I am not promoting a PPC distro... PPC64 is not the primary release.. x86 will be the main platform for Dux.. as for when you can expect it to be released... Whenever I have time to sit down and work with all the stuff I have and sort through these rack of errors and unsupported hardware. Its kind of hard when you only have 2 people working on, especially when those two people go to school and work full time

As for www.dux-linux.org not being up, as Web Admin had some problems and he is still working on getting it up
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
itoito
n00b
n00b


Joined: 08 Aug 2002
Posts: 32

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: *ding* its been a week Reply with quote

redog wrote:
oubipaws where is the binary kernel? :twisted: www.dux-linux.org isn't up... :cry: Can I sign up for shell access to the G5 64bit gentoo/suse/x86-64 monster:?: Excuse my ignorance but when will you be releasing those benchmarks. :wink: I find it oddly funny that your site http://dux.sunsite.dk starts with a flash intro. Don't you know the ppc linux binarys for the flash plugin are not avaliable? Hardly kosher for a site promoteing a ppc linux distro!


well actually you can run flash on a linuxppc , I emerged gplflash and most flash sites run perfect on my powerbook g4 with konqueror
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
linux_girl
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 12 Sep 2003
Posts: 283

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Testing the G5, part 1 Reply with quote

dcstimm wrote:
Today at work we were surprised to find a brand new black box sitting at our feet, it was the new G5! First thing I did was rip open the tape, and open the beautiful card board box. Once I got it open I noticed there wasnt much special about the manuals, cables and cds. So I pulled out the huge machine (its alot bigger than I thought AND ALOT Heavier!!) And stuck it on my desk. I quickly hooked it all together, and plugged in the monitor. Before I opened it I took the side of the case off and noticed the clear window inside. Its very attractive but I feel its weird because it doesnt go all the way to the top of the case so the DVD-R and harddrives are not behind the window. So I booted it up with the side on and I couldnt believe how SILENT it was. I had to open it again to make sure the fans were moving. So I was playing with it even more and I noticed that if you take the window off the fans go to full RPM and are LOUD. When the window is on they look like they are going in slow motion, no wonder its quiet. So after I got though the registration wizard apple makes you do, I got to my Macosx Desktop. The first place I headed was system profiler. I dont remember what was there exactly but it showed a Sony DVD-R, 1.6 G5, two 128mb DDR 400 DIMMS in slot 1 and 2 and it was running Macosx 10.2.7. Nothing else was really that surprising. Since I had to do real work I couldnt really play with my new machine, so I have to wait until tomorrow to play with it. The first thing I am going to do is Burn a PPC Live CD and see if it runs, hopefully it does, To bad it has a Nvidia graphics card. So Ill report more to you tomorrow.

Talk to you later

why the hell u hate nvidia they have the best propriatary kernel binary modules for 3D
_________________
:D :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thedoc
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Sep 2004
Posts: 13
Location: Cambridge, UK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Testing the G5, part 1 Reply with quote

linux_girl wrote:
dcstimm wrote:
To bad it has a Nvidia graphics card. So Ill report more to you tomorrow.

Talk to you later

why the hell u hate nvidia they have the best propriatary kernel binary modules for 3D


You said it girl: Binary

They don't release a PPC Binary

Therefore no 3d acceleration on almost any 'modern' NVidia

x86 Linux is not the 'be all and end all' as you will see when every new major games console revision comes out with a PPC derivative in it (XBox, Next Gen Nintendo thing, even PS3 with its CELL)

Mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum