View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcstimm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:32 am    Post subject: Testing the G5, part 1 Reply with quote

Today at work we were surprised to find a brand new black box sitting at our feet, it was the new G5! First thing I did was rip open the tape, and open the beautiful card board box. Once I got it open I noticed there wasnt much special about the manuals, cables and cds. So I pulled out the huge machine (its alot bigger than I thought AND ALOT Heavier!!) And stuck it on my desk. I quickly hooked it all together, and plugged in the monitor. Before I opened it I took the side of the case off and noticed the clear window inside. Its very attractive but I feel its weird because it doesnt go all the way to the top of the case so the DVD-R and harddrives are not behind the window. So I booted it up with the side on and I couldnt believe how SILENT it was. I had to open it again to make sure the fans were moving. So I was playing with it even more and I noticed that if you take the window off the fans go to full RPM and are LOUD. When the window is on they look like they are going in slow motion, no wonder its quiet. So after I got though the registration wizard apple makes you do, I got to my Macosx Desktop. The first place I headed was system profiler. I dont remember what was there exactly but it showed a Sony DVD-R, 1.6 G5, two 128mb DDR 400 DIMMS in slot 1 and 2 and it was running Macosx 10.2.7. Nothing else was really that surprising. Since I had to do real work I couldnt really play with my new machine, so I have to wait until tomorrow to play with it. The first thing I am going to do is Burn a PPC Live CD and see if it runs, hopefully it does, To bad it has a Nvidia graphics card. So Ill report more to you tomorrow.

Talk to you later
stimuli
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lucky bastard! :D
genfoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe good luck Darryl :)

G5 == 64 bit powerpc chip
G4 and pre are all 32 bit chips, whole different kernel, etc etc, so I don't think you'll get far with booting the G5 with a current live cd :(
ernstp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fully 32-bit compatible, and OSX 10.2.7 is 32-bit just like gentoo/ppc.

But you might need a newer kernel, 2.4.23-pre2 got some 970 support!
http://ppc.bkbits.net:8080/linuxppc-2.4/cset@1.1058.27.3?nav=index.html|ChangeSet@-3w
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/testing/patch-2.4.23.log
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 3 days of downloading and compiling stuff, I got mine all set up and configured with Gentoo last week :)

Runs super de dooper fast :-P
BTW... not sure what super de dooper means, but the system runs extremely fast and had no problems during install
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oubipaws wrote:
After 3 days of downloading and compiling stuff, I got mine all set up and configured with Gentoo last week :)

BTW... not sure what super de dooper means, but the system runs extremely fast and had no problems during install

I think it's just "super dooper"

without the extra little "de"

super dooper trooper pooper scooper ! :?
pvdabeel
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oubipaws wrote:

Could you make me a screenshot (drool) and tell me if anything else but a new kernel was needed to boot?

Pieter
trance
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Testing the G5, part 1 Reply with quote

dcstimm wrote:
Today at work we were surprised to find a brand new black box sitting at our feet, it was the new G5!

You'll have to run some benchmark tests and let us know how it goes. =)
I'd love to know a time bootstrap.sh for that beast! and how long does kde take?

trance
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm away for the weekend on a business trip.. but on Monday, I will post the benchmark tests and everything else for it. :D

KDE took about 3 hours to download and compiled in under 15 minutes... my Pentium 4 took roughly an hour to compile KDE...

I will run some tests on monday and run some kernel tests and such then post my results.

I used kernel 2.4.22 and kernel 2.6test4
both of which booted fine.. X only worked so far on 2.4.22
Lycander
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compiling KDE in < 15 minutes? 8O 8O 8O

Did you emerge 'kde' or 'kdebase' or 'kdelibs' ? Does that 15 minute figure also include dependencies?
pvdabeel
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oubipaws wrote:
I'm away for the weekend on a business trip.. but on Monday, I will post the benchmark tests and everything else for it. :D

KDE took about 3 hours to download and compiled in under 15 minutes... my Pentium 4 took roughly an hour to compile KDE...

I will run some tests on monday and run some kernel tests and such then post my results.

I used kernel 2.4.22 and kernel 2.6test4
both of which booted fine.. X only worked so far on 2.4.22

I've talked to benh (who gets his G5 from YDL in about a week) he told me that there is a remote possibility for the current kernel to work, but it wouldn't have SATA working and would run at half speed (due to the fans - 1ghz powerbooks had the same problem)

If compiling kde took only 15 minutes, how long is it going to take at full speed? 7 minutes?

Did you have to make a custom livecd to boot or did the current livecds work perfect?
genfoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oubipaws wrote:

What are you smoking hehe? KDE compiling in 15 minutes is just not believable. In fact it compiling in 1 hour on a P4 is not believable either. Do you mean kdelibs?

Are you using a 32 or 64 bit ppc kernel?
tyler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Before I opened it I took the side of the case off and noticed the clear window inside. Its very attractive but I feel its weird because it doesnt go all the way to the top of the case so the DVD-R and harddrives are not behind the window.

Make sure you put that back in properly. That window is what helps create the different cooling zones in the case. If that isn't in correctly, the machine will run at reduced speed.

It looks like it's nothing, but it matters.
dcstimm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldnt get any of the livecds to work, I think its because of the northbridge, I just get a kernel panic, More on this later....
trance
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcstimm wrote:
I couldnt get any of the livecds to work, I think its because of the northbridge, I just get a kernel panic, More on this later....

color me skeptical, but I'd like to see some more info than "I got it working" I'd like to see procinfo, lspci outputs. something more than, it worked =)

Come on guys, don't keep us in the dark. =)

trance
genfoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you said it trance 8)

I could tell the world I just booted my wristwatch into linux too hehe (but then again my wristwatch is no match for the power of a G5)
oniq
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little skeptical about oubipaws' results as well. Without any solid proof (procinfo, dmesg?) I just can't believe it :)
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will report back to you on monday with all the information with I get back home :D

BTW... I did not use the livecd to bootup :D
I will post an install guide monday

[edit]Forgot to add... for KDE.. I was just talking about the KDEBASE files and KDELIB files.. not all the other stuff like games, and media, etc[/edit]
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I waste my time and write up everything, maybe I should explain that this is not a pure gentoo system, that is what I am working on building, but not what I have right now.

Currently, I have Suse's 64bit distro (which was designed for AMD) install along with Mac OS X... but through suse, I have created a partition which contains gentoo. Also I have setup portage inside Suse and everything seems to work fine ( i have script if anyone wants it)

Its not working all so well because it was a rushed job but it is bootable, and before someone says you cant use the gentoo kernel, let me tell you that you can :D I found a patch, and yes I will post a link when I get home.

I am currently on the plane riding home (3 hours to go :-P ) and when I do arrive, I will take pictures (screenshots, and pics of the machine), and list the dmesg, and such.
frankOnPPC
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops ?
you got the AMD Opteron Suse installed along with OSX ?
Would you explain a little more in detail, pls ?
krgds,
frank
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will write a brief install guide unless some one wants and indepth guide
dcstimm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oubipaws wrote:
Before I waste my time and write up everything, maybe I should explain that this is not a pure gentoo system, that is what I am working on building, but not what I have right now.

Currently, I have Suse's 64bit distro (which was designed for AMD) install along with Mac OS X... but through suse, I have created a partition which contains gentoo. Also I have setup portage inside Suse and everything seems to work fine ( i have script if anyone wants it)

Its not working all so well because it was a rushed job but it is bootable, and before someone says you cant use the gentoo kernel, let me tell you that you can :D I found a patch, and yes I will post a link when I get home.

I am currently on the plane riding home (3 hours to go :-P ) and when I do arrive, I will take pictures (screenshots, and pics of the machine), and list the dmesg, and such.

Umm, How can you get a x86-64 binary distro to work on a ppc-64 platform?

MOD EDIT: I took the liberty of deleting four of your five identical posts... Easy on that submit trigger. :P --plate
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol dcstimm

perhaps he's using Darwin, not MacOSX ?
Odin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy quintuple post 8O

It is a good question, though...
zojas
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so come on guys, this thread has been posted on macslash & /.

oubipaws, dcstimm, can you please post your /proc/cpuinfo, dmesg, lspci -v ??
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: