Odd issue with Browser lockups
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 6:20 am    Post subject: Odd issue with Browser lockups Reply with quote

Recently, Galeon has started locking up for no apparent reason. At first I waited a bit and then started killing the galeon process. That seemed to help, but it would lockup again. This started happening more frequently, to the point where it can make browsing non-functional. Instant Messaging (with Gaim) seems unaffected. I did start noticing that the browser would 'catch up' and start working, but this seems to be happening less. By catch up, I mean it will start responding to commands. Scrolling the page from the wheel for example.

Notes:
1) Recently switched from Cable modem to DSL. Both were through a Linksys router. The problem did not occur with Cable.
2) A friend also on Earthlink DSL has noticed the same problem, but with Internet Explorer (Windows user). No other programs seem affected, he is not using Freeamp or similar.
3) Closing Freeamp appears to make the problem go away. Still testing this theory. Again, this didn't occur with the Cable modem.
4) I did recently upgrade Ogg Vorbis. Was one of the first things I did after getting DSL running. Pretty certain nothing else has changed (other than an rsync or few)
5) I keep referring to note 2, though note 3 seems odd (as if this wasn't odd in general).

Anyone else experience anything like this at all?

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the browser for about 2 hrs after that post with Freeamp off and no issues. Then again for about 90 minutes this morning.

I'm going to start testing with Freeamp again. I'm still puzzled about the problem though. Perhaps my problem and the similar one the Windows user has just seem the same.

I wouldn't think switching to DSL or upgrading vorbis-tools would matter though.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update, ogg123 seems to cause similar problems, though less often.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
syadnom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have flash and shockwave installed.

if so, your problem is that the browser is waiting for flash to load, so it seems to be locking up.

this is because of a bug in flash pluggin for linux. freeamp is not the problem. what you need to do to fix the problem, is:

use artsdsp to start galeon or mozilla. just run it like this from the command line:

artsdsp galeon

you can add this to the script an icon starts, no prob, try that..

hope i helped some.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syadnom wrote:
do you have flash and shockwave installed.

if so, your problem is that the browser is waiting for flash to load, so it seems to be locking up.
Yes, flash is installed. Once the browser has loaded (and not visiting flash pages), why would the browser be waiting for flash to load? Just curious... seems strange.

Quote:
freeamp is not the problem.
I didn't really think freeamp was the issue, just happened to be what I noticed. I was leaning more toward audio configuration. Also, this never occurred until after upgrading to ogg 1.0.

Quote:
use artsdsp to start galeon or mozilla. just run it like this from the command line:

artsdsp galeon
Will give it a shot and report what happens.

Thanks for the tip.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
syadnom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i think many pages now have small flash files, even just images using flash. it seem all to common that the flash pluggin is loaded when a simple png would have been better.

it does seem strange to lod flash for seemingly no reason, but their just might be some flash on those pages, i can't really say definitely though :)

i had the same problem(or same symptoms rather) and it was freeamp, xmms, and anything else that used audio. even the kde sound daemon for misc dings and bells and whatnot would cause a temporary lock up, as soon as the sound stopped, the browser would go on, and as soon as i quit xmms, the browser would go on.

just piping sound through artsdsp manages it and avoid conflicts.

if it works, cool, if not, at least you know it NOT the problem :) small comfort huh?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, yeah. Knowing what the problem isn't, goes a long way toward solving it. Haven't tried it yet, but I will. Also, the lockups will even happen on these forums. Usually where I spend most of my browsing dollar. Perhaps it is an issue of the flash/shockwave merely being present.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first comment in this thread probably has some bearing on what you're experiencing.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps. My main confusion is that it started 'suddenly' with no apparently related changes. Very, very odd.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: