Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Interview with Roy Bamford(NeddySeagoon)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man! too much fun! I can't believe comprookie2000 actually went back and changed those links... :lol:
lcidw
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have been nice if the interview was actually prepared, instead of popping out random questions and "uh uh" or "yeah, neat". Very very amateuristic, i'm glad Neddy gave interesting answers to the stupid questions.
rogerx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lcidw wrote:
Would have been nice if the interview was actually prepared, instead of popping out random questions and "uh uh" or "yeah, neat". Very very amateuristic, i'm glad Neddy gave interesting answers to the stupid questions.

Well, in the middle of listening. Think your main issue is the audio is so extremely clear (unlike over the air radio broadcast talk shows), and the echo of your clear "uhs"... is the main issue.

I'm all for listening to these audio broadcasts... thanks to everyone who spends their time devoted to putting this together. If the guy who's performing the interviews (for free) wants to put in one or two more "uhs"... i won't mind one bit! ;-)

Think I'd enjoy something like this every month or so -- especially for the important figure heads. Thanks for putting this interview together!

(btw, might be neat to hear something audio wise from the lead team members of the release team during or after the next 2008.0 release.)
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lcidw, rogerx,

The list of questions was discussed and agreed beforehand and I made some notes of points I wanted to make.
Other than that, it was done as an informal chat.

There are no stupid questions - except the one never asked. Beware stupid answers though.

I liked the format. Some social general linux questions at the start, to settle listeners. My South West England accent isn't the easiest for non native English speakers to understand, so they were able to get their ears tuned before the specific to Gentoo stuff.

I'm asked about my nick fairly frequently so I welcomed that.

The VoIP take you hear now, replaced an earlier analogue transatlantic telephone call, which was tested on a few users in #gentoo-pl.
They did not like the audio quality or my accent.

All in all, it was worth a couple of takes. The format seems to work and I think that if comprookie2000 wants to continue, it will help bridge the developers - users divide. (I said that already)

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
comprookie2000
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for listening. If you didn't know, I am an amateur, and this was my first interview ever. The hardest part was not being able to see the other person, much easier to talk to someone in person. I should get better with practice, I hope. I have had a great response from the developers, so there will be more. I am also going to interview some of the users we see around irc and the forums. Should be a lot of fun.
lcidw
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

comprookie2000 wrote:
Thanks to everyone for listening. If you didn't know, I am an amateur, and this was my first interview ever. The hardest part was not being able to see the other person, much easier to talk to someone in person. I should get better with practice, I hope. I have had a great response from the developers, so there will be more. I am also going to interview some of the users we see around irc and the forums. Should be a lot of fun.

In that case, oooooh. Nice start off :)

Some non-professional tips and ideas:

Good idea in future interviews, which are indeed cool, and a loooot of work before the interview actually starts, are to hold a list of questions you wanna ask in front of you, in the order you wanna ask em. Even put in possible replies you'll get and questions you could ask on those replies.

Besides that, imagine what questions the developer you're interviewing would expect, and tune 'em in a way that it's easy for him to reply. That way, the listener will be prepared if it's gonna be a simple, big, or in-depth answer, and the developer won't have to explain stuff first before giving the actual answer.

To get good questions, get a history on the work a developer has done (from which you can offcourse ask questions), and the latest news the developer is involved with. And you won't need to say "uhu" or "neat" cause you actually knew what he was gonna tell and can jump in on it.

Introducing a person is a standard, but never make a thanks at the end too personal: doing interviews is for the users, and the developer does that interview for the users. So you're thanking in the name of the listeners and users, and a thanks for cooperating. A very short "jingle" is ok, but half a song is too much :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: