Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Time for action: let Distrowatch know why you love Gentoo!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

I will email Distrowatch
Yes
12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
No
87%
 87%  [ 43 ]
Total Votes : 49

Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Time for action: let Distrowatch know why you love Gentoo! Reply with quote

May I suggest that we as an community share all our positive Gentoo experiences with Distrowatch? This idea comes from no other then Ladislav himself:

Quote:
I keep saying the same thing every time people come here to defend Gentoo: please write an article explaining why Gentoo is the greatest thing since sliced pickles and I'll publish it in the next issue of DistroWatch Weekly. Or write a review. Write about your experiences running Gentoo as a desktop or server. Anything. I know it doesn't look like it, but I really am desperate for some positive coverage of Gentoo! Many of you obviously love Gentoo and have tons of great experiences with it, so why don't you share them?

So far, all such appeals have fallen on deaf ears, but I haven't given up hope yet....

Where are you waiting for? Fire up your favorite mail client and leave Distrowatch a message at: distro@distrowatch.com

tanderson
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that Ladislav basically assumes, "Unless I hear awesome stuff about your distribution, I'll misunderstand how things work and present a bad image". Really, that is what this is. In the long-term it won't make difference. Nevertheless, I'll try to send an e-mail. :wink:

--The Prisoner
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically he's a journalist saying "I don't do my research". Distrowatch has always been crap and I doubt bombarding them with emails is going to change that. The best thing to do is ignore them.
baaann
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO it is not in Distrowatch's interest to be positive about Gentoo, the site and visitor throughput is totally geared to major updates which is of no real use to gentoo users. I used to visit regularly before installing Gentoo, but now I tend to visit http://www.gentoo-portage.com/Newest daily to see the latest updates available.
Sprotte
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trees fall in the forest.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted no because I don't think distrowatch has any influence of the distros people use.
Distro choice is mostly word of mouth from users already knowledgeable in a distro to a potential new user.

If distrowatch was really successful in diverting lots of would be, for eacmple, Ubuntu new users to Gentoo, could we cope?
Would we want to?
Many of these would be new users would not complete a successful Gentoo install and would leave with a very negative impression, which in turn may do lasting damage to the Gentoo community.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
OmSai
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't email anything substantial to Distrowatch, since Gentoo has been my one and only Linux distro.

But for someone who would want to provide them a balanced opinion, here are some of the points that can be included -
  1. Technical community that can solve questions in posts and not pages
    (*cough*, *cough* Ubuntu *cough*)

2. The best documentation in the world at gentoo.org and gentoo-wiki.com

I think the email ought to focus only on user experience and nothing else.
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately my computer was fubar'd meaning I did't found teh time yet to e-mail them.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote up a little post on my blog: http://ben.liveforge.org/2008/04/07/why-gentoo
Feel free to bring it to the attention of Mr. Bodnar.
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:
I wrote up a little post on my blog: http://ben.liveforge.org/2008/04/07/why-gentoo
Feel free to bring it to the attention of Mr. Bodnar.
'

Great post! Here's the mail I send:

Quote:
Ladislav,

In answer to your "challenge"

I keep saying the same thing every time people come here to defend Gentoo: please write an article explaining why Gentoo is the greatest thing since sliced pickles and I'll publish it in the next issue of DistroWatch Weekly. Or write a review. Write about your experiences running Gentoo as a desktop or server. Anything. I know it doesn't look like it, but I really am desperate for some positive coverage of Gentoo! Many of you obviously love Gentoo and have tons of great experiences with it, so why don't you share them?
>
> So far, all such appeals have fallen on deaf ears, but I haven't given up hope yet....
>
I send you a link of several Gentoo users who love the Gentoo distribution:

http://ben.liveforge.org/2008/04/07/why-gentoo

Moreover my IT company advices Gentoo Linux exclusively to our customers.
In the last couple of years I have successfully migrated several companies
and dozens of individuals to Gentoo Linux. I will send you another e-mail
detailing my experiences shortly.

Regards,

Aniruddha
Raad en Daad Computer Service / Zenpc

tanderson
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly Distrowatch still misses the point, saying that Gentoo proved it was alive by making a release. Seriously, what will it take for them to find out that Gentoo has a rolling release, and not releasing something does not affect 95% of the users? :evil:

--The Prisoner
speeddemon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoofan23 wrote:
Sadly Distrowatch still misses the point, saying that Gentoo proved it was alive by making a release. Seriously, what will it take for them to find out that Gentoo has a rolling release, and not releasing something does not affect 95% of the users? :evil:

No, the gentoo devs miss the point. Unless they just don't care about new users, which I really think they don't.

It makes gentoo look like a bunch of self-centered comp-sci geeks that see no need to help the plebians. Its just like the engineer that laughs at the mechanic for telling him his latest gadget is going to break, and then not understanding why it broke.
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speeddemon wrote:
gentoofan23 wrote:

No, the gentoo devs miss the point. Unless they just don't care about new users, which I really think they don't.

It makes gentoo look like a bunch of self-centered comp-sci geeks that see no need to help the plebians. Its just like the engineer that laughs at the mechanic for telling him his latest gadget is going to break, and then not understanding why it broke.
No, no and again no. Gentoo releases are all but irrelevant. A "release" constitutes little more than a LiveCD that supports more/newer hardware "out of the box" vs. the previous version. You don't need a Gentoo CD to install Gentoo. This is made pretty well clear in the documentation available to new users (the ones the devs presumably don't care about). Gentoo could mirror a Knoppix CD and announce a new "release" whenever the Knoppix image was updated and that would be just as valid.

The engineer who designs a car has every right to laugh when a mechanic tells him the airplane will crash immediately on takeoff. It's just not how the thing works.
JC Denton
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
I voted no because I don't think distrowatch has any influence of the distros people use.
Distro choice is mostly word of mouth from users already knowledgeable in a distro to a potential new user.

I would disagree that it doesn't have any influence. I discovered Gentoo from DistroWatch long, long ago. I certainly don't like the way the author degrades it now, though.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: