Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
No passwd and no mount after installing gentoo 1.2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ivo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 5:57 pm    Post subject: No passwd and no mount after installing gentoo 1.2 Reply with quote

Hello,

I recently installed gentoo 1.2, but after completing all steps of the online installation manual, it fails to boot because it can't find the mount command. The passwd command is also missing.

I can boot the CD, remount the boot and root partition and change tot chrooted environment again, but which packages should I emerge to get things working propperly?

Thanks in advance,
--Ivo
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge system should do it, will take a long time though.
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

passwd is from 'shadow'. mount is from 'util-linux'. During install, emerge system should have gotten you both.
Ivo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I am sure I did that during the installation. When I run emerge --pretend system I see hdparm and bison etc. are mentioned, and those _are_ on my system. Strange. It seems to have forgotten some packages.

Anyway, I ran emerge system again, and now everything seems fine.

Maybe I should start a new subject, but I wonder why such a basic install is over 650MB! I see /usr/src and /usr/portage are very big. Can something be done about that? Pointers to docs? I have been looking around, but I don't seem to find anything about that.

--Ivo
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/usr/portage/distfiles has all the emerge packages that have been downloaded in it. If you have a fast connection and/or will not be reemerging these packages, you can blow this away.

/usr/src has the kernel source and compiled object files. If you are happy with the kernel, I guess you could make clean to remove the object files (even unmerge the source). You can probably do this after you are convinced that your system is good and running. I leave the source tree in place, at least as a reference for how I compiled the kernel and what I put in it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: