Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
ALSA problems with adding to boot runlevel.................
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:07 pm    Post subject: ALSA problems with adding to boot runlevel................. Reply with quote

Hmm ya this is wierd. I installed alsa-driver and got it working fine, sounds great. I reboot and alsa gets started and then the module for my sound card will not load and the boot process freezes there. Its not a hard lock I can turn on capslock and turn it back off. I sat there for like 20 minutes seeing if it was just a fluke but its not. I had to use the gentoo cd to get a bootable system again without alsa added to boot runlever. In the new desktop doc I read that it should not be added to the default runlevel so I have not tried that but think that it would work if done that way. I have unmerged and re-emerged sever times eachtime completely removing all alsa files and directories in all locations and each time the same thing happens at boot. Its getting pretty anoying actually since adding alsasound to boot is the way its supposed to be done. So what I do now is removed alsasound from boot and just modprobe the sound module myself after getting to bash prompt. Guess I will add snd-via8233 to modules.autoload and forget about it just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Later.
Bobbie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem yesterday and in fact in the alsasound script locks linux when it does "alsactl -f /etc/asound.conf restore" to restore the mixer settings.
It will completely lock the kernel if you execute this command in a shell, so until things get fixed i would recommend to comment this section in the alsasound script.
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, will do. Thanks for the info.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 11:31 am    Post subject: bug reported? Reply with quote

I had (and solved via commenting out) this problem. I went to see if a bug report had been filed, but didn't find one. I have to admit that I'm not all that proficient at finding bugs on https://bugs.gentoo.org, but I'm getting better. :? Anyhow, have either of you filed a bug report? I'll file one if neither of you have. I couldn't find one, but I thought I would ask before doing it.
mrchuckles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...

I run my alsasound script at boot time, and have no troubles. What sound card are you guys using? What version of alsa-drivers did you emerge? Does it match the version of alsa-tools, alsa-utils, and alsa-libs you have installed?
Bobbie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alsa-driver and alsa-utils are 0.9.0_rc2. difficult to know where the bug comes from. it could be with the kernel compiled with certain option (I compiled mine with low latency sheduling. or it could be an alsa bug.

I searched on www.alsa-project.org and found a submission: bug 529581
I added a link to this thread so if you can post your config / kernel etc...or directly on alsa site
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: