Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
HELP!!! Failed to Calculate Dependencies!!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ViMan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:45 pm    Post subject: HELP!!! Failed to Calculate Dependencies!!! Reply with quote

I rebooted my system and while booting, I suddenly find the message: "Failing to Calculate Dependencies". No modules are loadable (my NVidia drivers were working perfectly and X was up and running before the reboot and now when I try to start X, it complains that it can't find the NVidia drivers. It gives me the message: "Failed to initialize the NVdriver kernel module!"). The last two things that I did before rebooting and encountering this message were:
1) Installed apmd
2) emerge rsync

But I don't think the problem is with apmd since I later uninstalled it without any problems. I tried recompiling the kernel to add APM support and when the kernel didn't work (it gave me the "Failing to Calculate Dependencies" error, I returned back to old kernel which was working well, but to no avail. Anybody have any idea what to do? Thanks for your time and waiting to hear from you...:D

PS. I also am using Portage 2.05 (I was using 2.07 but then downgraded) but I hear that it's semi-broken. The other Portage on my system are 1.somethings. I hear 2.04 is good. Should I download it and use it? Thanks again.
burzmali
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a similar problem:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=5995
but have gotten no useful replies.
update-modules force is supposed to fix it (so i am told)
but it doesn't.
did you reinstall nvidia-kernel after booting you new kernel?
butters
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recompile your kernel, without ACPI support or preemptive kernel, and with SMP support (if you are using the gentoo-sources kernel). When you do so, copy your .config file from /usr/src/linux to your home directory. Then make mrproper, and copy the .config file back into /usr/src/linux. Then make menuconfig and continue as in the gentoo installation directions. If that doesn't work, then kill apmd and see if that's the problem.
akhkharu99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you try to emerge unmerge nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx, and then re-emerge them? you must do this every time you recompile your kernel.
p.s. portage 2.0.8 is out now, so you might want to give that a try. it works fine for me.
billatq
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are missing some modules that were put in after you compiled your kernel. Remember to back up kernel modules that didn't come with the kernel, i.e. Nvidia or Alsa drivers or emerge them again after you've rebuilt the kernel.
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do as butters said, that should resolve your modules problems and yes I would downgrade to portage-2.0.4 since it still is the most stable version currently out.
ViMan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got rid of the problem by doing the following:
1) unmerging nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx
2) make mrproper
3) recompiling the kernel after selecting the features I wanted using make menuconfig
4) rebooting the system
5) emerging nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx
However, I am now going crazy because the driver does not want to work. The system detects it but after remodifying my XF86Config-4 file so that it has support for the nvidia driver (I had a copy of it when it was working with the NVidia driver), it won't start up X. The only way I can start X is to abandon using the nvidia driver and just use the nv driver. Also, there seems to be a problem in the sound. The sound on my system no longer works. Any suggestions? Thanks to burzmali, butters, akhkharu99, billatq and AutoBot for their help. But I was also wondering why AutoBot and butters suggest I add SMP support to the kernel. And is butters saying that I recompile my kernel without ACPI, etc. (by the way, I'm using APM, not ACPI) and after recompiling my kernel, copying the .config file and then rerun make menuconfig or what? Please elaborate. Thanks again for your responses and time. Hoping things get better. One final point. The error I get when I try to run X with the nvidia driver is as follows:
Failed to initialize the NVdriver kernel module!
although when I run lsmod, it shows up. Again, thanks for your responses and time and hoping someone can give me a hand.

PS. Also, when I did emerge nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx, I did run opengl-update nvidia.
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViMan wrote:
I finally got rid of the problem by doing the following:
1) unmerging nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx
2) make mrproper
3) recompiling the kernel after selecting the features I wanted using make menuconfig
4) rebooting the system
5) emerging nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx
However, I am now going crazy because the driver does not want to work. The system detects it but after remodifying my XF86Config-4 file so that it has support for the nvidia driver (I had a copy of it when it was working with the NVidia driver), it won't start up X. The only way I can start X is to abandon using the nvidia driver and just use the nv driver. Also, there seems to be a problem in the sound. The sound on my system no longer works. Any suggestions? Thanks to burzmali, butters, akhkharu99, billatq and AutoBot for their help. But I was also wondering why AutoBot and butters suggest I add SMP support to the kernel. And is butters saying that I recompile my kernel without ACPI, etc. (by the way, I'm using APM, not ACPI) and after recompiling my kernel, copying the .config file and then rerun make menuconfig or what? Please elaborate. Thanks again for your responses and time. Hoping things get better. One final point. The error I get when I try to run X with the nvidia driver is as follows:
Failed to initialize the NVdriver kernel module!
although when I run lsmod, it shows up. Again, thanks for your responses and time and hoping someone can give me a hand.

PS. Also, when I did emerge nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx, I did run opengl-update nvidia.

A couple of things, first and apparently least important gentoo by default uses XF86Config not XF86Config-4, next sometimes the kernel will not compile without smp support, and finally when your going to insert the nvidia modules don't insmod it do a modprobe NVdriver instead and see where that gets you.

--Your kernel compiled fine, I would leave it as it lies.
ViMan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 8:22 pm    Post subject: MOUNTING /boot WAS THE SOLUTION Reply with quote

I finally found out what my problem was. I can't believe I didn't do this. I've been compiling kernels for about 2 days now trying to get it right without any module dependencies. In the end, I could get it pretty easily by running depmod -a after compiling the kernel and then modifying the .config file (or by running: menu xconfig). All I had to do was:
1) delete /lib/modules (of course, you can rename this if you don't want to delete it)
2) make mrproper and then compile the kernel (make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install)
3) MOUNT /boot (the trick here is that if you don't do it and go /boot, you'll find that it looks as if your /boot has been mounted). To check if it is mounted or not (it most likely isn't), run: mount and look for an entry for /boot. If it isn't, then run: mount /boot
4) copy the bzImage (you might want to rename it and edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst to make a new entry if you're using grub)
5) reboot
6) emerge nvidia-glx
7) opengl-update nvidia
8) modify your XF86Config-4 file to use the nvidia driver

AND IT WORKS!! BUT SERIOUSLY, AN ADMINISTRATOR SHOULD PUT THE PART ABOUT CHECKING TO MOUNT /boot BEFORE COPYING THE bzImage AS I'M SURE MANY KERNEL-RELATED PROBLEMS ARE DUE TO THIS SILLY MISTAKE. (or maybe modify the "Gentoo Linux Documentation part about compiling the kernel as I'm sure many refer to it to remember how to compile the kernel) :D
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: MOUNTING /boot WAS THE SOLUTION Reply with quote

ViMan wrote:
I finally found out what my problem was. I can't believe I didn't do this. I've been compiling kernels for about 2 days now trying to get it right without any module dependencies. In the end, I could get it pretty easily by running depmod -a after compiling the kernel and then modifying the .config file (or by running: menu xconfig). All I had to do was:
1) delete /lib/modules (of course, you can rename this if you don't want to delete it)
2) make mrproper and then compile the kernel (make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install)
3) MOUNT /boot (the trick here is that if you don't do it and go /boot, you'll find that it looks as if your /boot has been mounted). To check if it is mounted or not (it most likely isn't), run: mount and look for an entry for /boot. If it isn't, then run: mount /boot
4) copy the bzImage (you might want to rename it and edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst to make a new entry if you're using grub)
5) reboot
6) emerge nvidia-glx
7) opengl-update nvidia
8) modify your XF86Config-4 file to use the nvidia driver

AND IT WORKS!! BUT SERIOUSLY, AN ADMINISTRATOR SHOULD PUT THE PART ABOUT CHECKING TO MOUNT /boot BEFORE COPYING THE bzImage AS I'M SURE MANY KERNEL-RELATED PROBLEMS ARE DUE TO THIS SILLY MISTAKE. (or maybe modify the "Gentoo Linux Documentation part about compiling the kernel as I'm sure many refer to it to remember how to compile the kernel) :D

Alot of people make that mistake, I have seen in several times here on the forum.
sulu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol.

I fell into the same trap.
Couldn't use devfs-support, compiled 100 kernels, no way.
Found that i didn't mount /boot .......
Mallrats
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do I make mrproper
when I type it in on my system as a user or root I get
make: *** No rule to make target 'mrproper'. Stop
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cd /usr/src/linux
first?
Mallrats wrote:
how do I make mrproper
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mallrats wrote:
how do I make mrproper

If you still cant make mrproper in /usr/src/linux you will need to reemerge your sources as your make file has somehow gotten borked.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: