Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
gtk+/glib latest package
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:37 am    Post subject: gtk+/glib latest package Reply with quote

I notice that when I check for the latest package of gtk+ by running "emerge -s gtk+", it shows gtk+1.2.10 is latest and is the same version as I have in my machine. However, when checking X11-libs/gtk+ in the portage tree, I see the gtk+2.0.2-r2.ebuild file.
How does portage know gtk+-1.2.10 is the current version? I'm searching files in the portage folder and could not find any information.
If I "emerge -s glib", it will show glib-2.0.1 as latest. I think the version of gtk+ and glib should be in sync. I'm confused in this case.
Is there anybody know about this?
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a package (or version of a package) is for any reason listed in the file /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask, it won't be listed by emerge -s. Check if this is the case.
Target
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtk+ and glib aren't related that way.

gtk+ is just a graphical toolkit that Gnome uses. Since Gnome v2 isn't ready yet, the v2 gtk+ is masked out so it won't install and clobber anything that relies on gtk+ 1.2... like Gnome 1.2.
mglauche
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 10:02 am    Post subject: not exactly true ... Reply with quote

gtk1 and gtk2 can live happy in one system togethere, everything in gtk2 has a "2" prefix, headers, libs, etc, so its no problem to install both at same time.

gnome is just happen to use gtk, gtk is quite independend from it ...

Don't know why its masked out, maybe portage has problems with multiple versions of one library installed. i did unmask it, and emerge did run for gtk2 just fine (and yes, my old gtk apps are still working and compliling ;)

glib is a low level addon lib for gtk, it did start as a lib for common used funktions in gtk, but now is used by some others, too. usually its tied very close to gtk ...

regards,
Michael
Target
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected. Gnome and gnome apps are the only things I've tended to see that use gtk+, so I usually lump them together.

By "related that way", I meant directly with version numbers like the gnome-* or kde-* bits are, because of their build cycle. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: