Info for autotools like Automake v1.10 broken
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Info for autotools like Automake v1.10 broken Reply with quote

Since quite a while I have a problem with the "info" files, in particular for autotools.

If I use the "info" or "pinfo" programs, I see only lines like
Code:
* automake v1.10: (automake1.10)Invoking Automake. Generating Makefile.in
which I cannot even select in "pinfo", and "info" just tells me the "Invoking Automake" is not found. In emacs' info-mode, I see correctly
Code:
* Automake v1.10: (automake1.10).         Making GNU standards-compliant Makefiles.

and most of the links work, but in particular for the above Automake v1.10, is see upon selection only "bunzipping automake1.10.info.bz2...done" and then the error
"Can't find automake.info-1 or any compressed version of it" (thrown by info-insert-file-contents) appears. On the other hand, there are the files
Code:
/usr/share/info/automake1.10.info-1.bz2
/usr/share/info/automake1.10.info-2.bz2
/usr/share/info/automake1.10.info.bz2

It is absolutely unclear to me what produces the wrong references (to the nodes and/or files) and how to repair it. I even have no idea which package to blame: Although the error appears only in connection with autotool-related packages, I guess that part of portage which generates the info-links (or the program which portage calls to do this) produces wrong output.
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something's definitely up with 1.10's info files, but I'm not seeing problems with other versions I've got installed. I do find it odd that "info automake" gets me the 1.5 manual. Why that instead of 1.4 or 1.7?
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didymos wrote:
Something's definitely up with 1.10's info files, but I'm not seeing problems with other versions I've got installed.

"info" and "emacs" work nicely with the other versions, but "pinfo" also has problems with the other autotools versions (but not with info files of other packages).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: