[NEWS] KDE 4.0.1 added to Portage tree
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: [NEWS] KDE 4.0.1 added to Portage tree Reply with quote

This forums thread is for discussion of the www.gentoo.org posting, "KDE 4.0.1 added to Portage tree." Post your comments and suggestions here.

Quote:
KDE 4.0.1 recently joined the Portage tree, thanks to Gentoo's KDE team.

This is the first maintenance release in the KDE4 series and fixes many issues in the initial release, including significant changes to the Konqueror web browser. These changes include stability bugfixes and performance improvements and its Flash integration as well as its JavaScript support.

KWin, the window manager, has received improvements to compositing and error handling. Almost all other KDE modules have been worked on extensively as well.

KDE 4.0.1 remains hard-masked because it still lacks KDE 3.5's polish. If you want to try it out, follow our KDE4 guide.
julroy67
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It fixes bugs that I've had in 4.0.0 nice work all :) and now Kopete is working for me. :D

Intel Core2Quad 6600
Abit FP-IN9 SLI Fatal1ty Nforce 580i
Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS
2 Go RAM DDR800 Corsair

Actualité des jeux sous Linux
Dagger
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great work guys.

90% of bugs which annoy me are still there, but thats KDE team needs to correct them. I cant wait for 4.1
rdx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just want to thank the kde herd people for doing this work - just for giving the opportunity to be an early adaptor..

kde rules and so does our gentoo kde herd staff! thanks guys.. i enjoy the result (a decent and stable desktop) everyday and don't wanna miss it! ;)
Tin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdx wrote:
i just want to thank the kde herd people for doing this work - just for giving the opportunity to be an early adaptor..

kde rules and so does our gentoo kde herd staff! thanks guys.. i enjoy the result (a decent and stable desktop) everyday and don't wanna miss it! ;)

+1 :!:
Philantrop
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys, it's really nice to hear that sometimes. :)
Tin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philantrop wrote:
Thanks, guys, it's really nice to hear that sometimes. :)

Sometimes ???

Don't tell me you cannot imagine all the happiness you create in the world !

Each time I can work with my lovely kde, it is full happiness !
If you have a little patience for the startup (;-)), you always have a fantastic experience of a smooth, nice, quick, responsive, intuitive, friendly desktop environment !

I did not tried yet the kde4 version, except on a live cd (just to have a look) because I use it at work and I cannot loose too much time and I prefer to wait for greatly stable future version.

But all the day it is a pleasure to work with kde, konsole is great, the multiple keyboard shortcuts and playing with dcop let you feel that if you want to do anything, you can. DOT.

Yes guys, I am sure that plenty of people in the world are thinking of you when booting X and thank you each hour of the day for your fantastic job.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!

(this is my feelings, better explained than my little "+1" above ;-))
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dagger wrote:
great work guys.

+1 :)
Epicanis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: All of 4.0.1?... Reply with quote

Not sure what I'm doing wrong - kdelibs-4.0.1-r1 showed up fine, but all of the other KDE4 packages still show up as stuck at 4.0.0 in portage (no packages for the 4.0.1 release seem to be available for anything but kdelibs...and kscreensaver, which won't install because I don't have kdebase-4.0.1 available...)

Is the kdebase-4.0.0 package obsolete? Do I need to emerge --unmerge the whole thing and then emerge kde{base,network,graphics,multimedia,admin,utils,toys}-meta to get the update?
tanderson
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: All of 4.0.1?... Reply with quote

Epicanis wrote:
Not sure what I'm doing wrong - kdelibs-4.0.1-r1 showed up fine, but all of the other KDE4 packages still show up as stuck at 4.0.0 in portage (no packages for the 4.0.1 release seem to be available for anything but kdelibs...and kscreensaver, which won't install because I don't have kdebase-4.0.1 available...)

Is the kdebase-4.0.0 package obsolete? Do I need to emerge --unmerge the whole thing and then emerge kde{base,network,graphics,multimedia,admin,utils,toys}-meta to get the update?

Beginning with KDE 4.0.1 the monolithic ebuilds in portage have been eliminated. Now all you can use are the split kde ebuilds.

--The Prisoner
Epicanis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: All of 4.0.1?... Reply with quote

gentoofan23 wrote:

Beginning with KDE 4.0.1 the monolithic ebuilds in portage have been eliminated. Now all you can use are the split kde ebuilds.

Ah, okay, thanks. I guess I'd better get to it. It just confused me that I was seeing kdelibs-4.0.1-r1 and kdeartwork-screensavers-4.0.1 but none of the others.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: