KERNEL PANIC: aTTEMPTED TO KILL INIT!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:58 pm    Post subject: KERNEL PANIC: aTTEMPTED TO KILL INIT! Reply with quote

:? I have tried trhee different CDs with the same result. I am trying to load to an IBM Thinkpad 380Z with 96MB ram. The error message I get is the following:

CRC errorFreeing initdmemory: 7124k freed Warning: unable to open an initial console
EXT-2fs error (device ramdisk(1,0)): exr2_check_page:bad entry inin directory #3857:unaligned directory entry - ofset=0, inode=715229300, rec_len=51738, name_len=182
EXT2-fs error (device ramdisk(1,0)): ext2_check_page: bad entry in directory #3845:directory entry across blocks-offset==, inode=2112677348, rec_len=56860, name_len=249
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

Help!
lude
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: KERNEL PANIC: aTTEMPTED TO KILL INIT! Reply with quote

belad wrote:
:? I have tried trhee different CDs with the same result.

Is this trying to boot the CD or afterwards?

If you're trying to boot the CD, it looks like the TP CDRom is having trouble reading it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This condition was encountered during the initial boot and installation.
Thanks!
fryfrog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you ever get it to boot from the cd?
terryclough
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished the gentoo 1.1a install directions and on reboot into grub and boot kernel selection I receive this message:

[a page or two of stack/assembly mesg]

spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7.

IRQ 7 happens to be were my nic is installed. Originally I config'd the kernel with the nic driver (8139too) compiled into the kernel. I went back and recompiled with the nic driver as module. Prior to the second compile I did a make mrproper as suggested. I am using System Commander 7.1 and have grub loaded on hd(1,0). My first disk contains Win only and the second disk is Linux only. I have installed grub and the menu.lst file according to the gentoo install directions.

Also thru all of this I have been using the recent gentoo-sources-2.4.19-rc5, I want to point out when I did an emerge sys-kernel/gentoo-sources only the 2.4.19-rc5 seemed to have been downloaded. The total file size was under 7Mb. Now is rc5 a patch or a full kernel source. I was under the impression that the full kernel source tree is over 100Mb.

I would appreciate any help, I am not certain what other info to pass on at this point so I left --verbose mode off.

#EDIT
I have read around with little luck. I am going to try a hail mary and change the boot partion from ext3 to ext2 with tune2fs. I read a post indicating that the journaling may not be turned on at the point grub needs the boot partions.

Here is a question. Would it be to much to post my entire .config file, along with the menu.lst and fstab files? I would hate to have a post ten pages long.

Thank you
Terry Clough
terryclough
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switching the boot partition with tune2fs from ext3 to ext2 did not change the kernel panic message I have been receiving. My procedure was to enter rescue mode and then use tune2fs prior to mounting any partition. Then I turned on swap, mounted gentoo, gentoo/boot, gentoo/proc and for good measure mounted the cdrom to gentoo/mnt/cdrom. At this point I edited my fstab file to change the boot partion to ext2. Next I verified my menu.lst file. Finally I started grub to reinitiallize the bootloader. Prior to grub starting though I received these messages:
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module block-major 33
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module block-major 33
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module block-major 34
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module block-major 34

Here is my .config file. I am sure the problem is going to be some simple setting that causes a conflict. Again I would appreciate anyones help. Gentoo is an exciting idea and seems to be a great place to learn.

Thank you
Terry Clough
butters
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: I've seen this before: Win2k issue Reply with quote

I saw this the first time when I tried to dual boot Mandrake on my Win2k machine (I am almost sure you're using Win2k, otherwise I'm completely off base here). Win2k doesn't work the same way as 98/NT 4.0 did with dual booting. The only way to make sure it works is to have 2k installed, install Gentoo, and set the Win2k bootloader (not Grub) to dual boot 2k and Gentoo. Otherwise you may/may not be able to boot the Linux kernel from Grub. Alternative: use the PartitionMagic bootloader to boot both Gentoo and Windoze. It's actually quite good.

Has anyone managed to dual boot 2k and Gentoo from Grub? If so, how did you do it?
terryclough
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I've seen this before: Win2k issue Reply with quote

butters wrote:
I am almost sure you're using Win2k, otherwise I'm completely off base here.

I am using System Commander 7.1 to triple boot, 98 and two XP's. In the past I have used SC7.1 to boot Mandrake 8.1 and three seperate 98 partitions with no conflicts. This is my first attempt with mixing XP and Linux using SC. My system is as follows:
Asus A7A266, 512MB DDR, ATI All-Wonder Radeon 32Mb, SB Live and a Realtek 10/100 ethernet card.

What I have found while searching for "spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7" are problems with linux being confsed by floating IRQ voltage levels either on PCI or parallel ports. I have not been able to peice together a fix yet. This does not seem like a "simple" problem.

I am thinking about trying to load either Mandrake 8.1 or trying the Vanilla-Sources of the 2.4.18 kernel only to see if the same problem occurs. If it does, then it may well be some problem due to the XP/win2k thing.

well see. Has anyone read thru my .config file linked above to see any glaringly obvious problems?

Peace
Terry
terryclough
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 4:29 pm    Post subject: spurious 8259A interupt: IRQ7 Reply with quote

I have finally compiled a kernel that did not panic. The message spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7 is common it seems. Doing a simple google search, produces several hits. Most of the posters however, did not experience kernel panics imediately following the message. I did find one poster that did have similar problems and fixed them by not compiling in the "APCI Support" found in the General setup options. Unfortunatly I can not verify this because I had made other changes. For instance I removed any SCSI support, except for cd-writing. Also I turned off SMP support, and added CPU=1 to the Makefile. I also included Local APCI and IO-APCI support. So there is no telling what fixed it, if any of these changes actually did. I am not going to try and summarize what I found while searching because I still don't understand it all.

I didn't have the heart to try experimenting with the .config settings, for fear that it may never boot again. :? So I have started the emerge kde process. Once the system is up and I play a game of Doom and watch a couple of DVDs on my shiny, new Gentoo system, I will go back and experiment. For now I must drive on.

Peace
Terry
gaesan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: KERNEL PANIC: aTTEMPTED TO KILL INIT! Reply with quote

belad wrote:
:? I have tried trhee different CDs with the same result. I am trying to load to an IBM Thinkpad 380Z with 96MB ram. The error message I get is the following:

CRC errorFreeing initdmemory: 7124k freed Warning: unable to open an initial console
EXT-2fs error (device ramdisk(1,0)): exr2_check_page:bad entry inin directory #3857:unaligned directory entry - ofset=0, inode=715229300, rec_len=51738, name_len=182
EXT2-fs error (device ramdisk(1,0)): ext2_check_page: bad entry in directory #3845:directory entry across blocks-offset==, inode=2112677348, rec_len=56860, name_len=249

Help!

I had the same problem on my desktop, but... put the same cdrw on notebook they boot fine, very strange, may depend on bios setup? my duron 750? my cd reader?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm. In my case (saw this last night), it was caused by overly aggresive settings while try to compile the gentoo custom kernel. I used the vanilla 2.4.18 kernel instead and it works fine. go figure...

Diego
gaesan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: KERNEL PANIC: aTTEMPTED TO KILL INIT! Reply with quote

gaesan wrote:
belad wrote:

Help!

I had the same problem on my desktop, but... put the same cdrw on notebook they boot fine, very strange, may depend on bios setup? my duron 750? my cd reader?

I solved my problem
I go in the bios, disabled "plug and play os" and IPCA (in power management)
and gentoo 1.2 big cd (140 megs) boot and installing fine

I hope this is the solution fot most of you
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: