Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Trolling and rebuttal.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nwmcsween
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What about the Experience? Reply with quote

southerngentooman wrote:
User Reply:
So I ask you:
    Is Gentoo a Joy to use?
    Is using Gentoo pleasant?
    Is Gentoo efficient?
    Is the experience rich and rewarding?
    Is Gentoo moving forward; toward doing its job perfectly?
    Does Gentoo feel great?

It’s all about the experience!

Quote:

“Every user has work they need to do. The goal of Gentoo is to design tools and systems that allow a user to do that work as pleasantly and efficiently as possible, as they see fit. Our tools should be a joy to use, and should help the user to appreciate the richness of the Linux and free software community, and the flexibility of free software. This is only possible when the tool is designed to reflect and transmit the will of the user, and leave the possibilities open as to the final form of the raw materials (the source code.) If the tool forces the user to do things a particular way, then the tool is working against, rather than for, the user. We have all experienced situations where tools seem to be imposing their respective wills on us. This is backwards, and contrary to the Gentoo philosophy.
Put another way, the Gentoo philosophy is to create better tools. When a tool is doing its job perfectly, you might not even be very aware of its presence, because it does not interfere and make its presence known, nor does it force you to interact with it when you don't want it to. The tool serves the user rather than the user serving the tool.
The goal of Gentoo is to strive to create near-ideal tools. Tools that can accommodate the needs of many different users all with divergent goals. Don't you love it when you find a tool that does exactly what you want to do? Doesn't it feel great? Our mission is to give that sensation to as many people as possible.
Daniel Robbins
Previous Chief Architect”

This is exactly why I hope to god a new source based distribution is made to focus on enterprise and create something that can update without breaking and planning things out before they turn into a convoluted mess that gentoo and portage are. Sure GLEP's are a step in the right direction but why not take it one step farther? how about thinking before designing something? how about laying out a groundwork like every other distro out there? My personal opinion is to scrap gentoo keep the portage tree and specific code from gentoo and start anew. There also needs to be a computer science test of some kind required to register on the new distro's forums aka a minimum intelligence...
edit_21
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nwmcsween:

"This is exactly why I hope to god a new source based distribution is made to focus on enterprise and create something that can update without breaking and planning things out before they turn into a convoluted mess that gentoo and portage are"

So when did this happen? How is gentoo a convoluted mess? Oh! Also what planet are you from ?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What about the Experience? Reply with quote

nwmcsween wrote:
My personal opinion is to scrap gentoo keep the portage tree and specific code from gentoo and start anew.

So why don't you go and start, and tell us how you're getting along?
nwmcsween
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit_21 wrote:
nwmcsween:

"This is exactly why I hope to god a new source based distribution is made to focus on enterprise and create something that can update without breaking and planning things out before they turn into a convoluted mess that gentoo and portage are"

So when did this happen? How is gentoo a convoluted mess? Oh! Also what planet are you from ?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Portage is... the code is unmanageable thats why there is paludis and pkgcore... and many other things im not even going to answer this any more until you actually look into things before defending something non existent.

Quote:

So why don't you go and start, and tell us how you're getting along?

It will happen eventually...
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nwmcsween wrote:

Well that shuts me up all right! :lol:

P. S.: Come to think of it, it already happened, in 2003. Anybody remember Zynot, the self-proclaimed future of Gentoo? No?
nwmcsween
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltago wrote:
nwmcsween wrote:

Well that shuts me up all right! :lol:

P. S.: Come to think of it, it already happened, in 2003. Anybody remember Zynot, the self-proclaimed future of Gentoo? No?

Get off of it having an opinion is one thing throwing fuel into the fire is another
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nwmcsween wrote:
Get off of it having an opinion is one thing throwing fuel into the fire is another

FYI, http://slashdot.org/linux/03/06/26/048221.shtml?tid=106&tid=185. looks like it's future isn't so bright and peachy after all.

I await the announcement of the fork you are participating in.

back onto the topic that matters:

looks like drobbins considered the answer to be 'No' to his offer. I was hoping for more dialog from him but 'take it or leave it' i guess.
Drewgrange
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnevers wrote:
looks like drobbins considered the answer to be 'No' to his offer. I was hoping for more dialog from him but 'take it or leave it' i guess.

That's too bad. I think drobbins potential impact can be seen from the last few weeks. Things have finally been getting attention due to his prodding (i finally got a new newsletter in my email today).

I think he would have better served himself to let Grant take it to a developer's vote and at least give things a chance, but it's his own life. I would certainly consider following him if he decides to make a new distro.. he did make Gentoo after all.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split from topic "Gentoo Trustee's Post Update".

nwmcsween wrote:
Advice worth heeding yourself.

Topic locked.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: