Everything installs fine except network device
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alchemst
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 12:50 am    Post subject: Everything installs fine except network device Reply with quote

So I go through the whole install process and everything goes great. I note during the install that my network module is identified as "mii". I forget what the actual chipset is based on but add that to the modules.autoload (or whatever that file was called) when I was done building my kernel. Reboot and everything is good except it can't find that module. I figure that I missed it in the kernel build, so I go back, enable most of the PCI network cards as modules, rebuild, reinstall, reinstall modules, and reboot. This time, it properly loads the mii module, but the network initialization bombs out during init with a device not found type of message.

I checked with lsmod and mii shows up. However, if I check for /dev/eth0, then no device shows up. My /etc/init.d/*eth0* file looks good, but the eth0 itself isn't appearing. ifconfig only shows the loopback device.

Any idea what I'm missing? I haven't mucked around much with devfs before. As I understand it, its supposed to be automagical and virtual, but is there anything I need to do to poke it into seeing my device? Or am I missing some kernel option beyond tcp/ip and mii?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is net.eth0 in the default runlevel?
Code:
# rc-update add net.eth0 default

Is /etc/conf.d/net set up correctly?
alchemst
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 1:16 am    Post subject: Nope, not it... Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that /etc/conf.d/net was correct, but I'll copy it below in case I'm missing something. However, shouldn't this file only apply to the initial ifconfig to bring the interface up? My problem appears to be happening before that. (or more specifically, something appears to NOT be happening that is keeping /dev/eth0 from appearing).

And yes, I'd run rc-update. I reran it with the arguments provided just now and it said that it was skipping it as it already existing.

When I boot, here's the first message that seems to be indicative of my problems:
* Bring eth0 up...
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
followed by other steps of the network initialization and other SIOC errors.

net:
iface_eth0="10.1.1.5 broadcast 10.255.255.255 netmask 255.0.0.0"
alias_eth0="10.1.1.5 10.1.1.6"
jcostom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Everything installs fine except network device Reply with quote

alchemst wrote:
So I go through the whole install process and everything goes great. I note during the install that my network module is identified as "mii".

The mii module isn't a card driver. It's a "support" module that's used by several card drivers, such as the 8139 and 8139too drivers. Figure out which card you've got and load the correct driver. The mii module may or may not be required, depending on your card driver.
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do 'lspci' (this is part of the pciutils package, and, I think, part of the boot cd), it will show you what device you have.

Otherwise, if you reboot with the gentoo boot CD, do lsmod and note the list of modules (or do lspci) to find out what you need.
alchemst
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks jcostom! Adding 8139too was it.

I assume that adding it to /etc/modules.autoload will cause it to always work correctly on boot?
jcostom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alchemst wrote:
I assume that adding it to /etc/modules.autoload will cause it to always work correctly on boot?

Yup.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: