LFSer cheking out Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJ-Lucas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:28 am    Post subject: LFSer cheking out Gentoo Reply with quote

Hello,

Getting ready to check out Gentoo for the first time. As a current LFS user and quasi devloper (via mailing lists only), I've been curious for quite some time about gentoo. Thus far looks like a very good project from what I've seen. I've debated wether to post this to newbies or not, but since both of my questions involve the initial build, I decided here. I haven't jumped into the docs (past the general installation instuctions), but had some questions reguarding the actual build process. First, stage one, two, and three. I'm trying to find a reference point to what I'm familiar with. So anyone who has done an LFS install would probably be of more help on this terminology. Lookin for a bit of clarification, if I understand correctly, stage one would be the equivelent of using a host distro in LFS? Stage two is the equivelent of the static build in LFS and stage three is the final product.

1.Stage one is where the question lies, is stage one just a basic linux build to provide the tools for the rest of the install/build? Is there any major difference in stage one than what would be standard on any linux devel box, such as your package management system, or is this built in stage two? If the PM system is part of stage one, are the sources availible for me to dl and set up my stage one manually?

2. How customizable is your package management system? If the info that I have thus far from the General Linux forum is correct, EBuilds are just bash scripts. I havn't started a build as of yet so I am unable to verify. Can these scripts be safely edited and your package managemnt system still be functional? I am a big fan of LFS because of the customization of the system. For instance, I like to restrict a lot of stuff, many packages would be built with a prefix of /usr in most systems, where I would have a prefix of "" and vice versa. Also smaller one-offs for individual users would be prefix $HOME/. While, quite obviously the last prefix does not make any sense in most systems, I have a situation where it would. Albeit, non standard, is this too difficult to do with nothing more than a simple edit to the EBuild script/config file?

Thanks in advance for any info ya'll can provide. I look forward to doing my initial build of Gentoo. I just want a reference point to start at, so I can learn as much as I can durring the process.

DJ Lucas
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: LFSer cheking out Gentoo Reply with quote

Welcome.

DJ-Lucas wrote:
1.Stage one is where the question lies, is stage one just a basic linux build to provide the tools for the rest of the install/build?

If you haven't already, check out the installation guide. Your description of stage 1 is pretty accurate; nothing from the stage 1 system will persist after you run bootstrap.sh - everything on your system will have been self-compiled at that point using the compiler flags and USE flags that you choose.

I find it easier to think in transitions instead of stages; the stage 1 - stage 2 transition involves moving from a generic toolchain to a customized toolchain. stage 2 - stage 3 involves compiling and installing commonly used system utilities with that customized toolchain. As you can probably tell by my evasion of your direct question, I have no LFS experience, sorry. I hope this explanation is of at least some use to you anyway.

Quote:
Is there any major difference in stage one than what would be standard on any linux devel box, such as your package management system, or is this built in stage two? If the PM system is part of stage one, are the sources availible for me to dl and set up my stage one manually?

Stage 1 does include the package management system. It is rebuilt in stage 2 using the compiler built during the bootstrap process, which is another way of saying the progression from stage 1 to stage 2. Yes, all the sources are available from http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles/, among other places. But IMHO (if you have the luxury of a functional Linux system already) it is generally much easier to chroot into a partition created for a Gentoo installation, unpack a stage 1 tarball and complete the installation that way.

Quote:
Can these scripts be safely edited and your package managemnt system still be functional?

Yes. The main thing you have to take care of in this situation is making sure that future rsyncs with the upstream Gentoo package tree get you the upgraded files you want, without overwriting the changes you want preserved. There are several ways of achieving this, many of which are described here on the forums.

Quote:
I am a big fan of LFS because of the customization of the system.

Much of the customization in Gentoo is done by settings of USE flags. The specific case you describe about changing installation directories is not so straightforward in Gentoo, so you would have to edit the ebuild. It would probably be as simple as changing the invocation of configure or "make install", depending on the software involved.

I hope your Gentoo experience is pleasant, and as long as you help the forums help you, they probably will.
DJ-Lucas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But IMHO (if you have the luxury of a functional Linux system already) it is generally much easier to chroot into a partition created for a Gentoo installation, unpack a stage 1 tarball and complete the installation that way.

I'll do it that way...my biggest concern in using grub (as I personally don't like it), but that's one of the many benefits of building your own system ;) Thanks for the Info rac. I'll begin on the Gentoo build tonight.

DJ
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ-Lucas wrote:
my biggest concern in using grub (as I personally don't like it), but that's one of the many benefits of building your own system ;)

An ebuild is available for LILO (22.1), if you prefer that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: