system for routing
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therobot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 6:46 pm    Post subject: system for routing Reply with quote

I have a 486 that I'd like to set up as a router for my home network. Anybody have any suggestions for which system to use?
UnderScore
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if by 'system' you meant all around distribution, then I would suggest debian. You can go to debian.org and look for a net install bootdisk for Woody or you can use a unofficial/unsupported Woody CD ISO image. Seeing as how a 486 is old/slow (but nto too old & slow to be a router) you wouldn't want to be compiling loads of pakages on it.

I set up my celeron 400 PC (yeah its overkill but I wanted to see how debian is ) by grabbing the latest unofficial/unsupported Woody CD ISO image, then I followed the instructions on the site to change /etc/apt/ some_config_file so that Apt-get & dselect would grab woody/unstable .debs instead of stable ones. I upgraged my system to the 2.4 kernel. Slap 2 decent nics in the 486, modprobe & lsmod to see if they are detected.
ifconfig eth0 IP netamask NM
ifconfig eth1 IP netamask NM
route add some_route
route add other_route
cat 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forwarding

That would be the absolute basics of a linux router.

If you meant 'system' as in designed for networking & routing then I suggest the Linux Embedded Appliance Firewall. http://leaf.sourceforge.net/

Quote:
What is it?

An easy to use embedded Linux network appliance for use in small office, home office, and home automation environments. Although it can be used in other ways, it's primarily used as a gateway/router/firewall for Internet leaf sites.
Project Goals:

Create an inclusive environment for current developers of the Linux Router Project to release their modifications to the public. Support continued development of Linux Router Project derived LEAF images and packages. Create a new LEAF version based on an embedded Linux distribution with 2.4 kernel support, while retaining the option to install the target environment on a floppy attached to the target.

Since the 2.4 kernel has alot of neat new netfilter code I suggest using the LEAF Bering distro:

Quote:
The LEAF "Bering" distribution is derived from Charles Steinkuehler's Dachstein (rc2). It differs from it on two key elements:

* It is based on a 2.4.x linux kernel
* It relies on Shorewall for extended firewalling facilities. Check all the Shorewall features here.

"Bering" is provided with an extensive on-line Installation guide and a user's guide with practical examples.
The main objectives are:

* To benefit from the netfilter/iptables facilities
* To have access to the latest kernel device drivers & filesystems
* To keep everything available on a single floppy for the largest possible user's base (including serial modem, cable modem or ADSL PPP/PPPOE users)
* To keep the simplicity provided by Dachstein
* To stick to a standard linux kernel as much as possible. This allows LEAF "Bering" usage and developement in a virtual environment
* To stick as much as possible to the Debian distribution structure

I hope this was helpfull and not too informative.
:)
_
chatwood2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest OpenBSD. BSDs in general have great networking tools, very powerful and very easy to configure. OpenBSD also has a great security record, which is very important when you are building a machine that is a critical as a router.

- Chris
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: