Quick Search: in
Russian Language Suport in Forums
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Russian Language Suport in Forums:
Yes, I Want to add Russian Forum in "International Gentoo Users" ierarchy.
83%
 83%  [ 93 ]
No, I won't this forum
16%
 16%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 112

Serge Matveev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Russian Language Suport in Forums Reply with quote

How about to open New "International Gentoo Users" forum - "Russian" and add russian language to "Board Language" list?

Maybe we all need sign some petition for this? :-)
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good place to check the interest in such a forum.

Pls, all russian language users, vote in the poll and we will consider the result and see if the need is there.

Erik
svyatogor
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not really like this idea, cause there is already a good forum at www.gentoo.ru. Adding one more forum will make no good for us but will just spread our community even further.
Serge Matveev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, this site is a good place for "official" forum (instead of bunch unofficial, such as gentoo,ru, gentoo.org.ua and so on) :-)
panserg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we even need ANY international forums. Try to search for some keywords and see all those german, french and other found result. Most of site readers speak on either one or two languages, not more. Do we want to see search results on a dozen of unreadable languages?

The argument about spreading the community further can be applied to burriing knowledge in local forums. Someone asks the question about gentoo on Sweden or Russian, the other one answers and for the rest of the gentoo community the knowledge in such a dialog is lost. Unless, of course, the local forum moderator will translate the digest back to English for the rest of the world.

I've voted for the forum, b/c it's better to have local communities under the same roof. However my vote was conditional: we need a policy requireing local forum moderators to publish the English translation of weekly digests of all technical Q&A related to Gentoo.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panserg wrote:
I don't think we even need ANY international forums. Try to search for some keywords and see all those german, french and other found result. Most of site readers speak on either one or two languages, not more. Do we want to see search results on a dozen of unreadable languages?
This has been mentioned before I think, but I can't find it now. The main reason that we do this is because most people don't like trying to do something complex in a language in which they may not be extremely proficient. This also helps those people who browse these forums hoping to help fix problems. They can be sure that their instructions will be understood. I think there's no way we're going to do away with the international forums. Personally, I kinda like the idea of a Russian forum, but I don't want to add it if it's not going to get enough traffic to warrant it. Also, there's a much easier way to solve your question about searching -- modify the search engine. Grab a php book and start coding. ;-)
panserg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masseya wrote:
Also, there's a much easier way to solve your question about searching -- modify the search engine. Grab a php book and start coding. ;-)

PHP is as dead as BSD and we all know that :)

Seriously, would this forum be done in Zope then nobody would even ask for volonteers to modify/customize it - it would be done by anyone here in no time. Unfortunately Zope cannot find the road in Gentoo community, even despite the fact that both Portage and Zope are written in Python.

Well, having said all that, I just like to remind that there is a simpler way to solve the problem of the search engine: if local forums will be moved to another server, while local forum moderators will publish their weekly english-translated digests in appropriate forums. I know, it requires also some efforts, but local forum user must decide: they either have their forums on the central gentoo server and they translate their digests, or they have to moe to somewhere else. Well, it's what I am thinking about local forums, and I know that most of people have a different thinking about this subject.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panserg wrote:
PHP is as dead as BSD and we all know that :)

Seriously, would this forum be done in Zope then nobody would even ask for volonteers to modify/customize it - it would be done by anyone here in no time. Unfortunately Zope cannot find the road in Gentoo community, even despite the fact that both Portage and Zope are written in Python.
I'm not sure I think php is dead. I simply think that phpBB was a well supported BB system that was chosen. It's not that anyone has specifically ruled out ever using zope.

Quote:
Well, having said all that, I just like to remind that there is a simpler way to solve the problem of the search engine: if local forums will be moved to another server, while local forum moderators will publish their weekly english-translated digests in appropriate forums. I know, it requires also some efforts, but local forum user must decide: they either have their forums on the central gentoo server and they translate their digests, or they have to moe to somewhere else. Well, it's what I am thinking about local forums, and I know that most of people have a different thinking about this subject.
I'm extremely confused by this. Perhaps I'm a mo-ron. Can you clarify or give me a link to a manual so I can RTFM?

Also, nice signature. Did you get that from my post here or have you had it a while? It's a really great quote that I read in Larry Wall's recent State of Perl speach.
panserg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masseya wrote:
Quote:
I'm extremely confused by this. Perhaps I'm a mo-ron. Can you clarify or give me a link to a manual so I can RTFM?

Also, nice signature. Did you get that from my post here or have you had it a while? It's a really great quote that I read in Larry Wall's recent State of Perl speach.

I am actually confused as I don't understand what specifically makes you being confused :)

I am not sure a manual of *what* do you want to read. I was proposing the organizational policy, when moderators of localized forums would translate weekly digests of all technicaly-worth threads so the knowledge would not be lost.

As for my signature - it's found on some open source software web site, I can't recall it right now. Personally I was thinking like that since I was young and old soviet communists told me that people like me destroy the social stability by refusing to adapt to "our perfect society". Well, looking on what't happened in Russia I am thinking that they might have been somehow right - now it's too unstable.

Hmm... It's hard for me to adapt to unflexible PHPBB either. Maybe that's why I keep suggesting a Zope-based portal for Gentoo community :)
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this clarifies the information I need.

panserg wrote:
Well, having said all that, I just like to remind that there is a simpler way to solve the problem of the search engine: if local forums will be moved to another server, while local forum moderators will publish their weekly english-translated digests in appropriate forums.
Please define a "local forum" and provide an example. Also, can you explain the scope and detail of the "weekly english-translated digests" please?

Quote:
I know, it requires also some efforts, but local forum user must decide: they either have their forums on the central gentoo server and they translate their digests, or they have to moe to somewhere else.
Which server are you referring to as the "central gentoo server?" Where is this other place that the local forum user would have to move? Would this local forum user have to have multiple accounts to handle this process?
Duke Dukovich
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which charset will be used in forum koi8-r or utf-8 :?:
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panserg wrote:
Future versions of phpbb may support nested forums, so the results would no longer turn up "language" threads. The various languages would in a sense have one sub forum.

panserg wrote:
Write a zopebb program, and we'll take a look at it. Migrating existing data should be considered.

This discussion is way off topic :D
Unik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duke Dukovich wrote:
Which charset will be used in forum koi8-r or utf-8 :?:

Whatever but NOT CP1251 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
synebs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like gentoo, and want to admin Russian forum ! russian gentoo forum! plz make forum for russian gentoo users ! We would like to speak in own language, but not i bad english :) or you like to see how bad i can speak english ?! ;)

or you can say that imposible ?!
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If noone else wants to fight over being the moderator, it looks like synebs is volunteering to do that.

The next question needing answering is which "language" to use. The phpbb website lists two options for Russian. "Russian" and "Russian [ Tu ]". Both can be found here.
deribin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The next question needing answering is which "language" to use. The phpbb website lists two options for Russian. "Russian" and "Russian [ Tu ]".

I prefer "Russian" as far "Russian [Tu]" is too avuncular to be serious.
Serj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!
To moderators: create Russian forum please!

Thanks.
Zoltan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted for the forum. It seems like this board already supports cyrillic input very well (using mozilla-firebird 0.7 here), so there doesn't seem to be a technical problem creating it. If there is going to be enough traffic I think I'll visit that place.
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Quote:

I don't know php, but could this be solved by adding an entry to the forum search options so that the searched on english forums only (maybe set it as the default search option?). Non-English gentooers could then search thier specific forum.

As I said I don't know php so don't know if this can be done, but it's an idea.

Tom
[/quote]
axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Write a zopebb program, and we'll take a look at it. Migrating existing data should be considered.

It's done already. There are at least half of dozen forum implementations done with Zope, some of them with Plone: Squishdot, CMFforum and others. Check on Zope and Plone websites.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard back from synebs... is anyone else able/willing to be the forum moderator?
ghuug
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could do moderation sometimes. Russian is my 1st language anyway..

regards,
Mikhail.

unregistered linux user #1
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghuug is the first moderator then. Thanks for offering to help.
Would anyone else be interested in helping him out?

Other International forums have a "description". You may want to come up with one and PM it to me.

Enjoy the forum.
sdk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added a topic about seeking moderators on our local Russian gentoo forum.

There's already three voloteurs.
They should come here in a moment :). I hope... ;)
Slot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could help a moderator of Russian forum
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: