Official Gentoo-Linux-Zealot translator-o-matic
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mart_man00
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:50 am    Post subject: Official Gentoo-Linux-Zealot translator-o-matic Reply with quote

Anybody read that comment at slashdot? ill quote it at the bottom.

Whats up with that? Ive been seeing alot of that kind of stuff, what get people so angry about Gentoo?

Was there a anoying PR dept here before or did you guys mike there distros look like Windows on a Mac?

from slashdot:
Quote:

Official Gentoo-Linux-Zealot translator-o-matic

Gentoo Linux is an interesting new distribution with some great features. Unfortunately, it has attracted a large number of clueless wannabes who absolutely MUST advocate Gentoo at every opportunity. Let's look at the language of these zealots, and find out what it really means...

"Gentoo makes me so much more productive."

"Although I can't use the box at the moment because it's compiling something, as it will be for the next five days, it gives me more time to check out the latest USE flags and potentially unstable optimisation settings."

"Gentoo is more in the spirit of open source!"

"Apart from Hello World in Pascal at school, I've never written a single program in my life or contributed to an open source project, yet staring at endless streams of GCC output whizzing by somehow helps me contribute to international freedom."

"I use Gentoo because it's more like the BSDs."

"Last month I tried to install FreeBSD on a well-supported machine, but the text-based installer scared me off. I've never used a BSD, but the guys on Slashdot say that it's l33t though, so surely I must be for using Gentoo."

"Heh, my system is soooo much faster after installing Gentoo."

"I've spent hours recompiling Fetchmail, X-Chat, gEdit and thousands of other programs which spend 99% of their time waiting for user input. Even though only the kernel and glibc make a significant difference with optimisations, and RPMs and .debs can be rebuilt with a handful of commands, my box MUST be faster. It's nothing to do with the fact that I've disabled all startup services and I'm running BlackBox instead of GNOME or KDE."

"...my Gentoo Linux workstation..."

"...my overclocked AMD eMachines box from PC World, and apart from the third-grade made-to-break components and dodgy fan..." "You Red Hat guys must get sick of dependency hell..."

"I'm too stupid to understand that circular dependencies can be resolved by specifying BOTH .rpms together on the command line, and that problems hardly ever occur if one uses proper Red Hat packages instead of mixing SuSE, Mandrake and Joe's Linux packages together (which the system wasn't designed for)."

"All the other distros are soooo out of date."

"Constantly upgrading to the latest bleeding-edge untested software makes me more productive. Never mind the extensive testing and patching that Debian and Red Hat perform on their packages; I've just emerged the latest GNOME beta snapshot and compiled with -09 -fomit-instructions, and it only crashes once every few hours."

"Let's face it, Gentoo is the future."

"OK, so no serious business is going to even consider Gentoo in the near future, and even with proper support and QA in place, it'll still eat up far too much of a company's valuable time. But this guy I met on #animepr0n is now using it, so it must be growing!"
Mindstab
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that!! ::shock:: (really, I'm surprised I saw the same semi obscure comment as anyone else)

I thought it was funny.... :P
mart_man00
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think it was ment to be funny. It seems like alot of people want it to be insulting.

If it wasnt for binary ebuilds i woul have to agree.
Diezel
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's never funny when someone attacs your distro. But this thing has been toggled through before. So this is a dup.
FLUG member 473
Tasslehoff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was ment to be funny... to the people against gentoo ;)

anyway I can pretty easily answer most of the complaints in that with

my computer can compile while I use it, it is called multitasking, and I make sure my system stays responcive by using nice with my emerge. This way I get full use while I wait the few minutes for something to compile. I rarely run into the situation where I need to immediatly compile a huge package like KDE, and if it ever did I could install a bianary as a temporary measure.

Gentoo is slow to get up but once it is up and the longer it is so the advantage grows. Sure rpm dependancies can be handled by specifying the needed packages together, but why should you need to? you should be able to specify the package you want and the package manager handle the rest. This is where rpm's fail and debian comes close.

On the install if I really need a workstation I would use a knopix CD and be able to do whatever from it I normally do while I wait for the install.

I know I just preached to the choir but it is late, I am wasting time waiting for this show to finish so I can go to bed :)
Ari Rahikkala
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not quite sure if it's meant to be a joke or an insult. If it was a joke, it would be more informed. I mean, it's normal that facts are skewed a little for the purposes of humour, but the items about, say, dependency hell are just wrong. If circular dependencies were the only cause of dependency hell, RPM-based distros would be much more popular among the hacker community - after all, there's an easy cure for them. And people who make jokes of this sort usually do their research. On the other hand, if it was meant to be only an insult, it would not be called "Official Gentoo-Linux-Zealot translator-o-matic".

Adding up one and one with -ffast-math and arriving at EPERM, we need to get someone who is neutral about Gentoo to tell us whether it's more of an insult or a joke...
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already mentioned here. :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: