emerge updating sandbox problem amd64 kernel 2.6.22-r8
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
splurben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: emerge updating sandbox problem amd64 kernel 2.6.22-r8 Reply with quote

While updating today sandbox is picked up.
Code:
thor ~ # emerge -av --update --deep world

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating world dependencies... done!
[ebuild     U ] sys-apps/sandbox-1.2.18.1-r2 [1.2.17] 0 kB
[ebuild     U ] net-wireless/wireless-tools-29 [29_pre22] USE="nls -multicall" 227 kB
[ebuild     U ] media-video/ffmpeg-0.4.9_p20070616-r2 [0.4.9_p20070616-r1] USE="X a52 aac encode imlib mmx ogg theora threads truetype vorbis xvid zlib (-altivec) -amr -debug -doc -ieee1394 -ipv6% -network -oss -sdl -test -v4l -x264" 0 kB
[ebuild  NS   ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.22-r9  USE="symlink -build" 143 kB
[ebuild     U ] dev-lang/python-2.4.4-r6 [2.4.4-r5] USE="berkdb gdbm ncurses readline ssl tk -bootstrap -build -doc -examples -ipv6 -nocxx -nothreads -ucs2" 10 kB
[ebuild  N    ] app-vim/pam-syntax-20060424  3 kB
[ebuild     U ] sys-libs/pam-0.99.8.1-r1 [0.78-r5] USE="cracklib%* nls%* vim-syntax%* -audit% (-selinux) (-berkdb%*) (-nis%*) (-pam_chroot%) (-pam_console%) (-pam_timestamp%) (-pwdb%)" 886 kB

Total: 7 packages (5 upgrades, 1 new, 1 in new slot), Size of downloads: 1,267 kB

sandbox won't compile

(I tried
Code:
>"FEATURES="-sandbox" emerge -v sandbox
and got the same error.)

Here's the error:
Code:
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking sandbox-1.2.18.1.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/sandbox-1.2.18.1-r2/work
 * Applying sandbox-1.2.18.1-open-normal-fail.patch ...                                                                                [ ok ]
 * Applying sandbox-1.2.18.1-open-cloexec.patch ...                                                                                    [ ok ]
>>> Source unpacked.
>>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/sandbox-1.2.18.1-r2/work/sandbox-1.2.18.1 ...
 * If configure fails with a 'cannot run C compiled programs' error, try this:
 * FEATURES=-sandbox emerge sandbox
 * Configuring sandbox for ABI=x86...
 * econf: updating sandbox-1.2.18.1/config.guess with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.guess
 * econf: updating sandbox-1.2.18.1/config.sub with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.sub
../sandbox-1.2.18.1//configure --prefix=/usr --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --libdir=/usr/lib32 --enable-multilib --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

!!! Please attach the following file when filing a report to bugs.gentoo.org:
!!! /var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/sandbox-1.2.18.1-r2/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/config.log
 * ERROR: sys-apps/sandbox-1.2.18.1-r2 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *                    ebuild.sh, line 1695:  Called dyn_compile
 *                    ebuild.sh, line 1033:  Called qa_call 'src_compile'
 *                    ebuild.sh, line   44:  Called src_compile
 *   sandbox-1.2.18.1-r2.ebuild, line   87:  Called econf '--libdir=/usr/lib32' '--enable-multilib'
 *                    ebuild.sh, line  632:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *                      die "econf failed"
 *  The die message:
 *   econf failed
 * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
 * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/sandbox-1.2.18.1-r2/temp/build.log'.

Can anyone help?
Le0too
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: RE: emerge updating sandbox problem amd64 kernel 2.6.22-r8 Reply with quote

I also had a similar problem with sandbox on my amd64 that was corrected by following the advice given in these threads.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-576954-highlight-sandbox.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-485514-highlight-sandbox.html

When I examined the config.log file referenced, it seems sandbox was trying to build using i686 because CTARGET was not set.

However, moving the /usr/bin/i686* executables out of the way to a temporary location allowed sandbox to successfully build for me.
splurben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: CTARGET not set Reply with quote

I am a bit of a nOOb.

My CHOST is set as "x86_64-pc-linux-gnu" in make.conf

Where would CTARGET be set?

When I
Code:
echo $CTARGET
it comes up blank.
Le0too
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: CTARGET not set Reply with quote

To Resolve the build problem with sandbox, I did the following (as root)
Code:
cd /tmp
mkdir usr
cd usr
mkdir bin
cd bin
mv /usr/bin/i686* .
emerge sandbox

I do not have CTARGET set, as I believe it does not need to be set when configuring/building for the current machine/architecture, only if you are trying to build for a different architecture.

See
Code:
man make.conf

Also http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/cross-development.xml

I should probably move the i686* executable back to /usr/bin/, but haven't done so yet as I don't plan on doing any cross architecture build.
splurben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Possible Ramifications Reply with quote

Le0too wrote:
Code:
cd /tmp
mkdir usr
cd usr
mkdir bin
cd bin
mv /usr/bin/i686* .
emerge sandbox

I do not have CTARGET set, as I believe it does not need to be set when configuring/building for the current machine/architecture, only if you are trying to build for a different architecture.

See
Code:
man make.conf

I should probably move the i686* executable back to /usr/bin/, but haven't done so yet as I don't plan on doing any cross architecture build.

I am cross-compiling on this amd64 (x86_64) box using DISTCC. So, I would just move these files back after emerging sandbox and then all ok? Just checking. Also, am I correct in assuming that sandbox is using a hack/shortcut in determining it's MARCH? Shouldn't this be fixed in the ebuild? I guess I'll check that a bug has been posted.

Last edited by splurben on Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total
splurben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: CTARGET not set Reply with quote

Le0too wrote:
Code:
cd /tmp
mkdir usr
cd usr
mkdir bin
cd bin
mv /usr/bin/i686* .
emerge sandbox

See
Code:
man make.conf

I tried this and I'm still getting the same error. It didn't work.
splurben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Still no luck emerging sandbox on amd64 Reply with quote

I have checked out https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=133209 and found this problem there. It has been marked RESOLVED but the package still has the problem so I'm a bit confused about that.

A number of users have had success moving a slough of files (all files starting with i686) from /usr/bin and re-emerging sandbox.

I tried this and it changed nothing; I'm still receiving the same errors from the emerge. As well, I'm concerned that as some of the files in /usr/bin that start with i686 turn out to be linked, I'm not sure that moving them back would have put them back in the correct place or malaffected the cross-chain environment.

Now I'm getting errors from DISTCC while trying to set up a new i686 box.

UGH!

Can anyone confirm that every file and link in /usr/bin that starts with i686 on an amd64 computer is involved with crossdev, and that these files will always break emerge sandbox?

I assume I will now need to remove and reinstall distcc cross-compiling on this amd64 box as well?

This is frustrating. Can't we just have an ebuild of sandbox that works on all architectures?

(Yes, I tried "FEATURES=-sandbox emerge -v sandbox" and it didn't change a thing.)

Anyhow, then I went back, did
Code:
crossdev -C i686-pc-linux-gnu

then I looked in /usr/bin and deleted anything else that showed i686 at the beginning
then I tried
Code:
FEATURES=-sandbox emerge -v sandbox
again and it worked.

I'll post again if I can get crossdev reinstalled.
nicta2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: I fixed that with rm /usr/bin/i686-* Reply with quote

I fixed that with rm /usr/bin/i686-*

I have no idea how those files came to be, they belonged to no package. They were date sep 2006. Odd.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: