Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Shriek! After latest Portage ... can't log in!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sundialsvc4
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Shriek! After latest Portage ... can't log in! Reply with quote

The latest "routine" Portage updates update PAM but apparently don't cause the recompile of things that may depend on it. With the result that I narrowly avoided having (pure dumb-luck, really) a system that I could not log-in to!

See this: http://www.odi.ch/weblog/posting.php?posting=447
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Shriek! After latest Portage ... can't log in! Reply with quote

sundialsvc4 wrote:
The latest "routine" Portage updates update PAM but apparently don't cause the recompile of things that may depend on it. With the result that I narrowly avoided having (pure dumb-luck, really) a system that I could not log-in to!

See this: http://www.odi.ch/weblog/posting.php?posting=447

i haven't noticed any issues yet, but if this is indeed true, have you considered filing a bug report?

cheers

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
robnotts
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fell into this trap as well... avoided on one machine (x86), but pure dumb luck as well, I ran an emerge -De world just after the sync that would have updated pam, so was lucky.

On the other machine (amd64), the pam upgrade was done after the emerge -De world, and as nothing was picked up by revdep-rebuild, I thought I was ok, until kdm wouldn't let me log in!

Luckily, I had a spare machine to surf the net, and so find the error! The pam upgrade guide says nothing about re-emerging kdm, kcheckpass, etc, which O hope will allow me to log in again... I miss mythtv!

Rob.

Gentoo Phenom][ X4 955 on AMD790 + Geforce 220GT 8GB/1.75TB (Desktop)
+ MythTV (3xFreeview,1xFreesat HD) on 1080p
Gentoo Turion64 X2 Geforce 6150 2GB/120GB (Laptop)
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDITED orignal post

See this [solved] Messed up Pam upgrade, now can't su and.... on what to do and how to do it.

Sounds like a nasty bug if 3 or 4 of you have hit it.
DirtyHairy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fell into the same trap with my girlfriends machine. After updating pam, I was only able to login on a perchance basis (weird). Reemerging shadow fixed it, its recompiling the other packages depending on pam right now. A very nasty one that can totally screw a perfectly stable system.
sundialsvc4
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed the advice of running qdepends -Q pam and re-emerging every package that it spoke of.

Then I did revdep-rebuild -X and let it run a couple of times through.

Still, any new X-session was crapping-out.

"Well, there's only one way to do this," I murmured, and switched to root and did killall kdm. Then, after doing cat /etc/inittab to find the proper command, I restarted KDM with /etc/X11/startDM.sh ... and prayed.

Fortunately, when the graphical login screen came up again, it all worked.

The contents of /var/log/messages seems fairly quiet now...
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pam's a bitch .

I never, ever let an upgrade touch pam unless I have a day spare.

Just lock it using package.mask until you get a dependacy needing an upgrade. Then back everything up make a quickpkg on pam and have liveCD handy.

Always check out this forum before diving in , avoid being the first.
8)
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree unfortunatly that doest work :cry: You can never tell if nobody is having probs of if your the first. Of course if you do find anything about the package your concerned about then wait a week or so :P Even that soesnt always work I was going wait a week or 2 for linux-headers-2.6.23 and gpm prob but ended up accident installing it. Gpm wont build without the patch but the current version still runs so it isnt a run time requirement.
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hielvc wrote:
Gentree unfortunatly that doest work :cry: You can never tell if nobody is having probs of if your the first.[/code]that's why I said mask it and wait til you're forced to update. That implies never being the first[/code]
Of course if you do find anything about the package your concerned about then wait a week or so :P Even that soesnt always work I was going wait a week or 2 for linux-headers-2.6.23 and gpm prob but ended up accident installing it. Gpm wont build without the patch but the current version still runs so it isnt a run time requirement.

My recommendation was clearly for pam not the whole system, I incidentally take the same approach with baselayout. If you "accidentally" update things anything can happen and you wont know why. I dont see that that comment has any bearing on my suggestions.

:roll:
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree sorry I wasnt dishing your apporache, but bemoaning the fact that it wasnt fool proof. The other place to check is bugs.gentoo.org.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: