Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[PALUDIS] Support thread (current v. 0.24.6) - Part 3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paludis would still see the package if you did that.

But if you do that command it'll still recompile everything because portage defaults to using a different temporary directory than paludis. So to portage you'd be telling it to merge something that hasn't been built yet.
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:

But if you do that command it'll still recompile everything because portage defaults to using a different temporary directory than paludis. So to portage you'd be telling it to merge something that hasn't been built yet.
Unless I would touch the .dot files needed in the build folder, then inject the files list into Paludis and set it as installed. In short, much troubles.

It's one of the features I miss from emerge. :(
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tecknojunky wrote:
slycordinator wrote:

Unless I would touch the .dot files needed in the build folder, then inject the files list into Paludis and set it as installed. In short, much troubles.

There's no need to "set it as installed." Portage stores its installed packages in /var/db/pkg in the exact same way as paludis. The only "problem" you'd have is the world file in that portage has its world file at /var/lib/portage/world and paludis uses /var/db/pkg/world but that's usually a non-issue as most people set it up with one of those files being a symlink to the other (so what gets written to one gets written to the other).

And I think all you'd have to do is copy your paludis tempdir for that package over to where portage wants it to use the ebuild command. i'm not entirely certain though.
zxy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Paludis support thread (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-605075.html) has been created, as there is paludis-0.26.0_aplha1 in the paludis repository. It's not yet in portage tree, so when it will be, this (old) thread can be closed, i guess.
are
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: broken ebuild Reply with quote

the ebuild of mozilla-firefox has thye problem, that I have to do a
Code:
 chmod -R o+r /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox
 chmod -R o+r /usr/lib/mozilla
manually. Else I can't start firefox as normal user. Other users confirmed this.
Unfortunately portage seems to handle this correctly, as everything worked well, when i used portage instead of paludis.

Anyway paludis is great! Thank you very much for it.
Best regards
are
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version of paludis and firefox?

Because I have no problems with firefox 2.0.0.6 and paludis 0.24.6
are
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
Which version of paludis and firefox?

Because I have no problems with firefox 2.0.0.6 and paludis 0.24.6

Paludis 0.24.6 and Firefox-2.0.8.

Best regards
are
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
tecknojunky wrote:
slycordinator wrote:

There's no need to "set it as installed." Portage stores its installed packages in /var/db/pkg in the exact same way as paludis. The only "problem" you'd have is the world file in that portage has its world file at /var/lib/portage/world and paludis uses /var/db/pkg/world but that's usually a non-issue as most people set it up with one of those files being a symlink to the other (so what gets written to one gets written to the other).

And I think all you'd have to do is copy your paludis tempdir for that package over to where portage wants it to use the ebuild command. i'm not entirely certain though.

Interesting. Incidently, Paludis uses the same folders than Emerge for building. I guess I'll have to do some testing because it would be a real plus when collisions occurs (or any failing) for big and long to compile packages.

I was thinking maybe to fudge collision-protect to render it interactive somewhat, by putting a simple rm -i in it, or at least a way to simply overwrite the files without interrupting the build.
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tecknojunky wrote:
I was thinking maybe to fudge collision-protect to render it interactive somewhat, by putting a simple rm -i in it, or at least a way to simply overwrite the files without interrupting the build.

If you're gonna do the latter, there's no point in having collision-protect.
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: broken ebuild Reply with quote

are wrote:
the ebuild of mozilla-firefox has thye problem, that I have to do a
Code:
 chmod -R o+r /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox
 chmod -R o+r /usr/lib/mozilla
manually. Else I can't start firefox as normal user. Other users confirmed this.
Unfortunately portage seems to handle this correctly, as everything worked well, when i used portage instead of paludis.

Anyway paludis is great! Thank you very much for it.
Best regards
are

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196893

Looks like the tarball itself has the wrong permissions.
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
tecknojunky wrote:

If you're gonna do the latter, there's no point in having collision-protect.

I meant an interactive way to tell collition-protect to either delete the files OR stop the ebuild and, if not, do nothing which should result in the files being overwritten.
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another strange oddity.

Each time I issue "paludis -i world", parted is either downgraded from version 1.8.8 to 1.8.6...
Code:
These packages will be installed:

* sys-apps/parted-1.8.6 {:0} [D 1.8.8] -debug device-mapper nls readline (-selinux)

... and then from version 1.8.6 to 1.8.8 and then it start over again...
Code:
These packages will be installed:

* sys-apps/parted-1.8.8 {:0} [U 1.8.6] -debug device-mapper nls readline (-selinux)

Can someone shed light on this?
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something you've got installed wants the earlier version and something else wants to later.

After you've got sys-apps/parted-1.8.8 installed do
Code:
echo "<sys-apps/parted-1.8.8" >> /etc/paludis/package_mask.conf

Now the earlier version is masked. So now you'll be able to easily find out what wants the old version (since paludis will fail and will tell you which package is failing from the dependency).
Bill Cosby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikaya wrote:
boniek wrote:
Anyone has ETA on binary package(creating, BINHOST etc) support in Paludis? That's the only thing that keeps me with portage on a couple of machines at work.

http://ciaranm.org/show_post/95
http://ciaranm.org/show_post/95 wrote:

Finally, the things we don't have that some people would really like. There are probably other things, some of which we won't implement because they're really bad ideas and the user is sometimes wrong, but here's the impression I get:

Binaries. Specifically, a decent binary package format and proper binary package handling. This is nearly done, and will be in before 1.0. (I keep saying "next major release", but then end up doing a release for a different new feature instead -- releasing often is helpful for everyone.)

Be patient. :wink:

Is there an update on this?
micr0c0sm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Cosby wrote:
nikaya wrote:
boniek wrote:
Anyone has ETA on binary package(creating, BINHOST etc) support in Paludis? That's the only thing that keeps me with portage on a couple of machines at work.

http://ciaranm.org/show_post/95
http://ciaranm.org/show_post/95 wrote:

Finally, the things we don't have that some people would really like. There are probably other things, some of which we won't implement because they're really bad ideas and the user is sometimes wrong, but here's the impression I get:

Binaries. Specifically, a decent binary package format and proper binary package handling. This is nearly done, and will be in before 1.0. (I keep saying "next major release", but then end up doing a release for a different new feature instead -- releasing often is helpful for everyone.)

Be patient. :wink:

Is there an update on this?

The trac is your friend, specifically http://paludis.pioto.org/trac/roadmap .
Currently a lot of work is being done to support destinations. Destinations will provide support for the creation of binary packages (and a lot of other neat things). I am not sure, but I think this means full binary support. Also, please use the other thread since its newer and I think this just hasn't been locked yet.
aliquid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: package.provided Reply with quote

Hello,

There are some uneeded packages pulled by some ebuilds, like evince and gnome-light:
Code:
* app-arch/cabextract [N 1.2]
* media-fonts/corefonts [N 1-r4]
* media-libs/tiff [N 3.8.2-r3]
* media-fonts/arphicfonts [N 0.2.20080216.1]
* media-fonts/kochi-substitute [N 20030809-r3]
* media-gfx/ebdftopcf [N 2]
* media-fonts/baekmuk-fonts [N 2.2-r2]
* media-fonts/gnu-gs-fonts-std [N 8.11]
* app-text/ghostscript-gpl [N 8.62]
* app-text/libspectre [N 0.2.0]
* www-client/mozilla-firefox [D 3.0_rc1 -> 2.0.0.14] <world>
* gnome-extra/yelp [N 2.22.1-r1]
* x11-libs/qt-assistant :4 [N 4.4.0-r1]
[...]

Evince and others can be compiled without these packages installed, but ebuilds don't provide any USE flags to avoid dependencies, moreover the size of downloads is nearly 150 megabytes and I really don't want to install these because my root partition is not that big.

I already read that paludis lacks package.provided functionality. So, is there any other way, which not involves creating custom ebuilds, to tell paludis to not install packages?
Berniyh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: package.provided Reply with quote

aliquid wrote:
I already read that paludis lacks package.provided functionality. So, is there any other way, which not involves creating custom ebuilds, to tell paludis to not install packages?

Maybe try importare?
aliquid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: package.provided Reply with quote

Berniyh wrote:
aliquid wrote:

Maybe try importare?

Thanks. I've added dummy package for every dependency, but paludis don't pick fakes for www-client/mozilla-firefox (it wants to downgrade firefox from 3.0_rc1 to 2.0.0.14) and qt-assistant. The package which depends on firefox 2 is gnome-extra/yelp and it fails to compile with firefox 3 on my system, so I temporary added it to dummies. Well, actually, I don't mind if qt-assistant will be installed, but I don't want to downgrade to firefox 2.
Berniyh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: package.provided Reply with quote

aliquid wrote:
Berniyh wrote:
aliquid wrote:

Maybe try importare?

Thanks. I've added dummy package for every dependency, but paludis don't pick fakes for www-client/mozilla-firefox (it wants to downgrade firefox from 3.0_rc1 to 2.0.0.14) and qt-assistant. The package which depends on firefox 2 is gnome-extra/yelp and it fails to compile with firefox 3 on my system, so I temporary added it to dummies. Well, actually, I don't mind if qt-assistant will be installed, but I don't want to downgrade to firefox 2.

Hm, never used it for deps (yet), but it should work.
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: package.provided Reply with quote

aliquid wrote:
Berniyh wrote:
aliquid wrote:

Maybe try importare?

You could just mask firefox < 3.
aliquid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: package.provided Reply with quote

Phlogiston wrote:
You could just mask firefox < 3.

The problem with firefox was because I haven't noticed that the update came out and old ebuild "www-client/mozilla-firefox-3.0_rc1" was deleted from tree. That's explains why paludis wanted downgrade firefox. My bad.

qt-assistant is still pulled by paludis, but I will install it anyway. Thanks.
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
paludis -ip world                                                                                                           
Building target list...                                                                                                                               
Building dependency list...paludis@1212569417: [QA version_spec.too_long] In program paludis (--show-reasons summary --show-use-descriptions new --continue-on-failure if-satisfied --dl-downgrade warning --debug-build none) -ip world:                                                                   
  ... When performing install action from command line:                                                                                               
  ... When executing install task:                                                                                                                   
  ... When building dependency list:                                                                                                                 
  ... When adding NamedSetDepSpec 'system':                                                                                                           
  ... When adding PackageDepSpec 'sys-apps/net-tools':                                                                                               
  ... When fetching versions of 'sys-apps/net-tools' in gentoo:                                                                                       
  ... When loading versions for 'sys-apps/net-tools' in gentoo:                                                                                       
  ... When creating ID for 'sys-apps/net-tools' from '/usr/portage/sys-apps/net-tools/net-tools-1.60_p20071202044231-r1.ebuild':                     
  ... When extracting version from '/usr/portage/sys-apps/net-tools/net-tools-1.60_p20071202044231-r1.ebuild':                                       
  ... When parsing version spec '1.60_p20071202044231-r1':                                                                                           
  ... Number part '20071202044231' exceeds 8 digit limit permitted by the Package Manager Specification (Paludis supports arbitrary lengths, but other package managers do not)                                                                                                                             
paludis@1212569417: [QA dep_list.dropping_circular] In program paludis (--show-reasons summary --show-use-descriptions new --continue-on-failure if-satisfied --dl-downgrade warning --debug-build none) -ip world:                                                                                         
  ... When performing install action from command line:                                                                                               
  ... When executing install task:                                                                                                                   
  ... When building dependency list:                                                                                                                 
  ... When adding NamedSetDepSpec 'system':                                                                                                           
  ... When adding PackageDepSpec 'sys-apps/shadow':                                                                                                   
  ... When adding installed package 'sys-apps/shadow-4.0.18.2:0::installed':                                                                         
  ... When adding run dependencies as post dependencies:                                                                                             
  ... When adding PackageDepSpec '>=sys-libs/cracklib-2.7-r3':                                                                                       
  ... When adding installed package 'sys-libs/cracklib-2.8.12:0::installed':                                                                         
  ... When adding PackageDepSpec 'dev-lang/python':                                                                                                   
  ... When adding installed package 'dev-lang/python-2.4.4-r13:2.4::installed':                                                                       
  ... When using already installed package to resolve dependencies:                                                                                   
  ... When adding PackageDepSpec 'sys-libs/db:4.3':                                                                                                   
  ... When adding installed package 'sys-libs/db-4.3.29-r2:4.3::installed':                                                                           
  ... When adding PackageDepSpec '>=virtual/jre-1.4':                                                                                                 
  ... When adding installed package 'virtual/jre-1.6.0:1.6::installed':                                                                               
  ... When adding PackageDepSpec '=virtual/jdk-1.6.0*':                                                                                               
  ... When adding installed package 'virtual/jdk-1.6.0:1.6::installed':                                                                               
  ... When adding PackageDepSpec '=dev-java/sun-jdk-1.6.0*':                                                                                         
  ... When adding installed package 'dev-java/sun-jdk-1.6.0.06:1.6::installed':                                                                       
  ... When adding PackageDepSpec '=virtual/libstdc++-3.3':                                                                                           
  ... When adding installed package 'virtual/libstdc++-3.3:3.3::installed':                                                                           
  ... When adding PackageDepSpec '=sys-libs/libstdc++-v3-3.3*':                                                                                       
  ... When adding installed package 'sys-libs/libstdc++-v3-3.3.6:5::installed':                                                                       
  ... When adding PackageDepSpec 'virtual/libc':                                                                                                     
  ... When adding package 'virtual/libc-2.6.1::virtuals (virtual for sys-libs/glibc-2.6.1:2.2::gentoo)':                                             
  ... When adding build dependencies as pre dependencies:                                                                                             
  ... When adding PackageDepSpec '=sys-libs/glibc-2.6.1:2.2::gentoo':                                                                                 
  ... When adding package 'sys-libs/glibc-2.6.1:2.2::gentoo':                                                                                         
  ... When adding build dependencies as pre dependencies:                                                                                             
  ... When adding PackageDepSpec '>=sys-devel/gcc-3.4.4':                                                                                             
  ... When adding installed package 'sys-devel/gcc-4.1.2:4.1::installed':                                                                             
  ... When adding PackageDepSpec '>=x11-libs/gtk+-2.2':                                                                                               
  ... When adding installed package 'x11-libs/gtk+-2.12.8:2::installed':                                                                             
  ... When adding PackageDepSpec '>=dev-libs/glib-2.13.5':                                                                                           
  ... When adding installed package 'dev-libs/glib-2.14.6:2::installed':                                                                             
  ... When adding run dependencies as post dependencies with cycle breaking:                                                                         
  ... When adding PackageDepSpec 'virtual/libc':                                                                                                     
  ... Dropping circular dependency on 'virtual/libc-2.6.1::virtuals (virtual for sys-libs/glibc-2.6.1:2.2::gentoo)'                                   

Unhandled exception:
  * In program paludis (--show-reasons summary --show-use-descriptions new --continue-on-failure if-satisfied --dl-downgrade warning --debug-build none) -ip world:                                                                                                                                         
  * When performing install action from command line:                                                                                                 
  * When executing install task:                                                                                                                     
  * When building dependency list:                                                                                                                   
  * When adding NamedSetDepSpec 'system':                                                                                                             
  * When adding PackageDepSpec 'sys-apps/shadow':                                                                                                     
  * When adding installed package 'sys-apps/shadow-4.0.18.2:0::installed':                                                                           
  * When adding run dependencies as post dependencies:                                                                                               
  * When adding PackageDepSpec '>=sys-libs/cracklib-2.7-r3':                                                                                         
  * When adding installed package 'sys-libs/cracklib-2.8.12:0::installed':                                                                           
  * When adding PackageDepSpec 'dev-lang/python':                                                                                                     
  * When adding installed package 'dev-lang/python-2.4.4-r13:2.4::installed':                                                                         
  * When using already installed package to resolve dependencies:                                                                                     
  * When adding PackageDepSpec 'sys-libs/db:4.3':                                                                                                     
  * When adding installed package 'sys-libs/db-4.3.29-r2:4.3::installed':                                                                             
  * When adding PackageDepSpec '>=virtual/jre-1.4':                                                                                                   
  * When adding installed package 'virtual/jre-1.6.0:1.6::installed':                                                                                 
  * When adding PackageDepSpec '=virtual/jdk-1.6.0*':                                                                                                 
  * When adding installed package 'virtual/jdk-1.6.0:1.6::installed':                                                                                 
  * When adding PackageDepSpec '=dev-java/sun-jdk-1.6.0*':                                                                                           
  * When adding installed package 'dev-java/sun-jdk-1.6.0.06:1.6::installed':                                                                         
  * When adding PackageDepSpec '=virtual/libstdc++-3.3':                                                                                             
  * When adding installed package 'virtual/libstdc++-3.3:3.3::installed':                                                                             
  * When adding PackageDepSpec '=sys-libs/libstdc++-v3-3.3*':                                                                                         
  * When adding installed package 'sys-libs/libstdc++-v3-3.3.6:5::installed':                                                                         
  * When adding PackageDepSpec 'virtual/libc':
  * When adding package 'virtual/libc-2.6.1::virtuals (virtual for sys-libs/glibc-2.6.1:2.2::gentoo)':
  * When adding build dependencies as pre dependencies:
  * When adding PackageDepSpec '=sys-libs/glibc-2.6.1:2.2::gentoo':
  * When adding package 'sys-libs/glibc-2.6.1:2.2::gentoo':
  * When adding build dependencies as pre dependencies:
  * When adding PackageDepSpec '>=sys-devel/gcc-3.4.4':
  * When adding installed package 'sys-devel/gcc-4.1.2:4.1::installed':
  * When adding PackageDepSpec '>=x11-libs/gtk+-2.2':
  * When adding installed package 'x11-libs/gtk+-2.12.8:2::installed':
  * When adding PackageDepSpec 'net-print/cups':
  * When adding installed package 'net-print/cups-1.3.7-r1:0::installed':
  * When adding PackageDepSpec 'virtual/pam':
  * When finding SLOT for 'sys-libs/pam-0.99.9.0::installed':
  * When validating slot name '':
  * Name '' is not a valid slot name (paludis::SlotNameError)

I have this problem with everything I try to install.
No idea what happened...

/edit: fixed
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locked -- continued in Part 4.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: