Libvisual broken
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laughinggnome
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Libvisual broken Reply with quote

Does anyone have libvisual working with GCC 4.2.2? At some point, I *think* after rebuilding world with 4.2.2, Amarok started complaining:

Code:

No Visualisations Found
Possible reasons:
libvisual is not installed
No libvisual plugins are installed
Please check these possibilities and restart Amarok.

It is installed, and it used to work fine. I don't think it's anything to do with Amarok because:

Code:

~ $ gst-inspect-0.10

ERROR: Caught a segmentation fault while loading plugin file:
/usr/lib64/gstreamer-0.10/libgstlibvisual.so

I've tried rebuilding libvisual (and plugins) with 4.1.2 but no change. Maybe it's got nothing to do with GCC. Who knows!?
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried re-emerging gstreamer?

cheers

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
laughinggnome
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I only installed gstreamer to check it wasn't Amarok that was broken. Gstreamer works fine if I remove the libvisual plugin.
the.root
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been able to get libvisual to work either! I get the same popup error message in Amarok. I compiled with debug and checked the output and it didn't produce any errors when clicking on "visualizations".
I miss the visualizations!

Oh and I didn't have it working in gcc4.2.1 either.
sirdilznik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't seem to be limited to Gentoo (or Linux for that matter). While libvisual itself compiles fine here, libvisual-plugins are broken on FreeBSD as well.
Code:
===>  libvisual-plugins-0.2.0_3 is marked as broken: Broken objformat handling.
*** Error code 1
the.root
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's depressing to hear. I think we need to start a fundraiser for these dev's. haha
I'll jump on the libvisual IRC channel maybe they'll be some help there?
the.root
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: FIX - All but one plugin Reply with quote

Well I have a cheap fix.
I was playing around removing plugins, and sure enough, one of the plugins was segfaulting preventing them all from working.
It was nastyfft

To fix(well to get all the visualizations working but nastyfft, for now) :

Code:
cd /usr/lib/libvisual-0.4/actor
rm actor_nasty*

You'll have to restart Amarok for the changes to take effect.
Strowi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

thanks for that tipp, removing actor_nasty* i am able to run visual plugins now!
laughinggnome
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent sleuthing Mr root. Cheers.
Simius
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad, but libvisual seems abandoned. Unless someone adopts it and begins active development and maintenance, I'd say it's ripe for hardmasking or removal. XMMS was scrapped from Portage for similar reasons, I think libvisual should also be removed (and quickly forgotten).
the.root
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want to abandon it? Do you have a better way to produce visualizations graphics to music? You know how many people watch and love that?? I see no reason to remove it, unless you just want to give up on everything, Linux, Gentoo, Life...
Besides the problem was in a third party libvisual plugin, and wasn't a problem from its libraries.
Simius
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the.root wrote:
Why would you want to abandon it? Do you have a better way to produce visualizations graphics to music? You know how many people watch and love that?? I see no reason to remove it, unless you just want to give up on everything, Linux, Gentoo, Life...
Besides the problem was in a third party libvisual plugin, and wasn't a problem from its libraries.

Lol... Well, there are several ways of doing visualizations without libvisual. Gstreamer has its own visualization API, for example.
Anyway, I was speaking more on a theoretical level. Libvisual is not being developed, it's undocumented, it doesn't have a working website, no matter how I look at it, it looks dead. I wonder how and why it became so popular.
the.root
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about gstreamer visualizations. I know they use libvisual. Does gstreamers vis work in Amarok? Are they actively developed? Are they ANYWHERE near as good as the big boys in libvis? ProjectM, GForce, Infinite.
Libvisual became popular because it was a valiant attempt to create a cross-platform visualization library base. Many people were able to port their favorite Windows visualizations to it.
As far as I'm concerned it's the only good way to produce visualizations in Linux, and there really haven't been enough problems upkeeping it to start talking about removal :-)
Simius
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the.root wrote:
I don't know about gstreamer visualizations. I know they use libvisual. Does gstreamers vis work in Amarok? Are they actively developed? Are they ANYWHERE near as good as the big boys in libvis? ProjectM, GForce, Infinite.
Libvisual became popular because it was a valiant attempt to create a cross-platform visualization library base. Many people were able to port their favorite Windows visualizations to it.
As far as I'm concerned it's the only good way to produce visualizations in Linux, and there really haven't been enough problems upkeeping it to start talking about removal :-)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I understand, those "big boys" - excluding projectM - were ported by none other than the libvisual staff. The same libvisual staff that hasn't had the motivation to make a single commit to their wiki in a year.
There are no more than TWO packages in Portage which contain plugins for libvisual:

Libvisual-plugins, which was made by the libvisual staff, not "many people". If it have been made by "many people", at least "some people" would be going on with the development.

Libvisual-projectm, which is about the only real-world third party libvisual plugin I know of. However, projectm is NOT something we should thank Libvisual for - it was developed as a cross-platform visualizer, and libvisual is just one of the plugin layers it supports. It would in itself kind of make libvisual worth the effort, but fortunately projectm also supports JACK, and I am determined to get a gstreamer interface going as soon as I'll have enough time off.

- so I think "Many people were able to port their favorite Windows visualizations to it" is a strong exaggeration, and "it's the only good way to produce visualizations in Linux" is just plain silly.
the.root
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I understand, those "big boys" - excluding projectM - were ported by none other than the libvisual staff. The same libvisual staff that hasn't had the motivation to make a single commit to their wiki in a year.
There are no more than TWO packages in Portage which contain plugins for libvisual:

Libvisual-plugins, which was made by the libvisual staff, not "many people". If it have been made by "many people", at least "some people" would be going on with the development.

Libvisual-projectm, which is about the only real-world third party libvisual plugin I know of. However, projectm is NOT something we should thank Libvisual for - it was developed as a cross-platform visualizer, and libvisual is just one of the plugin layers it supports. It would in itself kind of make libvisual worth the effort, but fortunately projectm also supports JACK, and I am determined to get a gstreamer interface going as soon as I'll have enough time off.

- so I think "Many people were able to port their favorite Windows visualizations to it" is a strong exaggeration, and "it's the only good way to produce visualizations in Linux" is just plain silly.

I don't know who created each of the libvisual plugins, my memory has better uses. I was stating that G-Force and projectM are probably the two most popular visualizations, both of which are supported through libvisual. It makes it easy to have visualization support in Amarok, gstreamer, mplayer, etc. For a lot of visualizations, not just one (I realize projectM has a jack plugin).
But it's nice and easy to have an interface and library like libvisual that any visualization can port to, then any application can utilize those libraries, across any platform. I just don't see why you seem like you don't support it :-/
It would be nice if it were developed more, but apparently he couldn't get much help. We'll see if he comes out with a new webpage or not like it says. I think libvisual was a great idea, just not fully implemented.

Bottom line is there's no nice and easy way to have a library of visualizations that one can currently watch with amarok or other, without libvisual.

Oh, and I know NastyFFT ( the reason this thread is here, and not our offtopic posts), was created by a third party. Haven't looked into the rest.
DarkMageZ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirdilznik wrote:
This doesn't seem to be limited to Gentoo (or Linux for that matter). While libvisual itself compiles fine here, libvisual-plugins are broken on FreeBSD as well.
Code:
===>  libvisual-plugins-0.2.0_3 is marked as broken: Broken objformat handling.
*** Error code 1

there was a fair amount of fixes between the development path from 0.2.0 to 0.4.0 so that 0.4.0 would compile on gcc 4.X branch. (gentoo has 0.4.0)

that's weird that a plugin managed to trip out libvisual and hence amarok (i've had completely broken plugins before that even ldd -r would complain about them). unless you need to re-emerge libvisual then libvisual-plugins then anything that builds against libvisual (gstreamer & amarok) because you've managed some kind of breakage.

libvisual really is the best way to implement music visualizations on linux as the visualization developers only need to focus on developing against libvisual while libvisual worries about the the operating environment.

gstreamers visualization implementation is shoddy at best. see rhythmbox & totem. gstreamer has only 1 music visualization itself and that is goom. the others come from being dependent on libvisual.

the core developer of libvisual has been off working and doesn't have time for libvisual anymore. the second developer appears to have lost the will to try without the core developer. the core developer can be found on the libvisual irc channel if you've got the time. if someone wants to take over the project. if they proved themselfs capable i think he might allow them.

also a stacktrace would probably be better than discussion.
isolationism
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: FIX - All but one plugin Reply with quote

the.root wrote:
Well I have a cheap fix.
I was playing around removing plugins, and sure enough, one of the plugins was segfaulting preventing them all from working.
It was nastyfft

To fix(well to get all the visualizations working but nastyfft, for now) :

Code:
cd /usr/lib/libvisual-0.4/actor
rm actor_nasty*

You'll have to restart Amarok for the changes to take effect.

Brilliant. Sad that this still hasn't been fixed either, but as a few people mentioned, the project may be abandoned (or at least very far down on someone's priority list). :( Most is better than none, though -- so thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: