ideas for improvements
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
line72
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:06 pm    Post subject: ideas for improvements Reply with quote

First i think gentoo-sources should come with a .config file. Yes i know how to compile a kernel, but it's easy to miss something small that makes your box run like crap. Hell, there could be a couple .config files, one for athlons', pentium 4s, ppc, etc .. They'd include all the necessary options, but of course the user would still have to choose the correct sound card, network card, etc ..
Second, man would it be nice to have something like DrakConf (from mandrake). I sure liked being able to open up DrakConf and click internet sharing and two seconds later all the other computers on the network have internet.
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: ideas for improvements Reply with quote

Quote:
it's easy to miss something small that makes your box run like crap.

Agreed... that's why I personally feel that compiling your own kernel is the only way. If someone can't be arsed, they can go find a bloated "stock" kernel like all the other distros go for. Or maybe Gentoo's not for them.
Selecting your architecture is a clearly marked option. I think people can do that themselves... and as you yourself say:
Quote:
of course the user would still have to choose the correct sound card, network card, etc ...

Erm, so what's the point of just setting the architecture for them if they have to get their hands dirty anyway?

A stock kernel might look attractive for those that really can't be bothered, but it seems to go against the whole spirit of Gentoo to optimize everything but the kernel.

Drakconf? Okay! Go decouple it from Mandrake, integrate it into Gentoo, make an ebuild and submit it. Quick! :-D
Seriously though, there are some nice configuration frontends readily available, one of the best of which is webmin [http://www.webmin.com/webmin]. Check it out, it just might do what you need.
There are modules for both IPChains and IPTables firewalls.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: