Beginner installing Gentoo on PS3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ogopogo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Beginner installing Gentoo on PS3 Reply with quote

I haven't had a whole lot of experience working with linux. So, after ordering my PS3, I really wanted to use it as a more rounded media center (divx/xvid/mkv/ogg/flac/etc support). After looking around at what distos support running on the PS3, I figured Gentoo would run the cleanest.

So, in the end I want to have Gentoo running on it with Elisa and some emulators. So my list of things to do looks something like this:
1) Install gentoo
2) Get wifi working
3) Install Elisa and get it working with most common media types
4) Install emulators and other simple apps.
5) Get the PS3 controller working as a mouse pointer and configure emulators/Elisa to use it as the primary input (I don't think this can be accomplished using bluetooth yet)

Heres what documentation I could find so far:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/ppc64/ps3/
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-550751.html
http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/cell/wiki/InstallGentooOnPS3

Any additional help/recommendations would be appreciated.
- Ogo
ogopogo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Steps 1 and 2 complete Reply with quote

Just figured I would give an update on my install here. Maybe one day someone will find this and it might help... haha!

So, after following the directions, I had (and still have) problems installing the GRP binaries. So, instead of getting xfce on there via GRP, I am actually compiling. About half way through the build, I got the error detailed here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-576437-highlight-ps3defconfig.html

Running the steps listed did help with the problem. However, I had to run the make menuconfig and disable the 64 bit option to make it work.

On a separate post for the same issue, rangerpb had the following solution:
Quote:
Ok, do the following:

cd to /usr/src/ and double check that a soft link exists between linux and a set of kernel sources.

Then go intio the kernel sources, and if you used my stage4's, copy the default kernel config from /etc/kernel/something to /usr/src/linux/.config

If you are using a 32bit userland, be sure to set CROSS_COMPILE in the top level makefile before running any sort of defconfig or make oldconfig.

So, it seems that I might have really made my kernel 32 bit rather than keeping it at 64 bit with a 32 bit userland. So, chances are, I will reinstall after I get everything else up and running, but I want to wrap up the rest of the install to get the process down.

Another thing I came across is that for the pciutils package, you need to set zlib in you use statement. So, if you emerge that first then add it in to /etc/make.conf, then you wont have to deal with that. And per the notes for Elisa, some of its dependencies have to be built with python in the use variable. So, I did that right from the beginning to make sure that won't be an issue.

Either way... So I got xfce4 installed (although the resolution isn't quite the same as it is on the live cd, I have a little extra black space around the screen). As for the wireless, I decided to not do that and went with a wired connect to a wrt54g with dd-wrt installed and have the router set up in client bridge mode. And that is working out really well.

Until later,
- Ogo
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: