Gentoo PS3 Installation Problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capcom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Gentoo PS3 Installation Problem Reply with quote

Hello, I am new to linux, but I've learned a lot from installing it onto my PS3 system.

I am having a very bad problem with the kboot.conf file. I used the directions on http://ps3wiki.qj.net/index.php/Gentoo_Howto to install gentoo to my system. When I try to boot it up, it gives me this error: /init: /etc/kboot.conf: 35: Syntax error: "(" unexpected. I tried to fix it with the directions I found on http://ps3wiki.qj.net/index.php/Fixing_a_Gentoo_install, but the error scrolls through the screen too quickly, scrambling any commands I try to put in. I tried scroll lock, but it didn't work. What should I do to fix this problem?

Someone please help me.
Capcom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please help me; I don't want to reformat the partition.
rangerpb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you able to drop to a shell when in kboot? If so, you should be able to fix things from there. The other thing you could do is grab the otheros.cdonly image off the cd and install that. Then kboot won't be able to find the errored kboot.conf file. Then you could boot with the livecd and edit the errored file.

Conversly, you could drop to a kboot shell, and then remove the disk partition label from the rootfs. Then issue a reboot and kboot should be unable to find the file. Fix the file and move on.

if you can join us on irc, I can probably walk you through it.
triod
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rangerpb wrote:
Are you able to drop to a shell when in kboot? If so, you should be able to fix things from there.

:) its simply mistake

in kboot prompt type *sh*
you see shell #
where are you kernel? /dev/sda1 - for example
do next:
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/root -o ro
kexec -l /mnt/root/you_kernel_file_name --append="here kernel command_line"
on my system: (I do not use initrd)# kexec -l /mnt/root/kernel-2.6.21-opt --append="root=/dev/sda3 video=ps3fb:mode:5 rhgb"
finally execute new kernel # kexec -e
Enjoy :)
Capcom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed that problem, I reformatted the disk and reinstalled gentoo. I now have another problem. After I installed some new kernels, I edited kboot.conf so it would point to them. It appears that the initrd I installed doesn't work, so gentoo cannot start up. I can drop shell though, but when I try to edit kboot.conf, the disk is write protected.
Capcom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got gentoo running with a combination of both of your advice; thanks alot!! Now I can fix that new kernel...

Edit: it stopped running. :(
Capcom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rangerpb wrote:
Are you able to drop to a shell when in kboot? If so, you should be able to fix things from there. The other thing you could do is grab the otheros.cdonly image off the cd and install that. Then kboot won't be able to find the errored kboot.conf file. Then you could boot with the livecd and edit the errored file.

Conversly, you could drop to a kboot shell, and then remove the disk partition label from the rootfs. Then issue a reboot and kboot should be unable to find the file. Fix the file and move on.

How do i do it?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: