Gentoo 1.4 @ LinuxWorld Expo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McManus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Gentoo 1.4 @ LinuxWorld Expo Reply with quote

Quote:
Gentoo Linux 1.4 will be officially released at LinuxWorld Expo '03 in San Francisco, CA (August 5-7.) The Gentoo Linux crew will be at the show in .org pavillion booth #1. Please make plans to stop by, chat, and pick up your favorite build of Gentoo Linux 1.4 for free :)

...about time! :D
Linux user #267375 - http://counter.li.org
Sir_Stinksalot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh this is what I have been waiting for. I really didnt want to down my computer for a long time doing an install, but I really want gentoo. 1.4 sounds like some cool stuff is happening with the install and livecd so this might make it worth it to finally get gentoo going.
scrooch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they will be availeble on the servers soon after the expo.
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will this just be like the other gentoo releases, ie download and compile everything from the net
or is X & kde *as exp* included on the cd, so you dont have to have a net connection to do the install?
also will there be any point starting a new gentoo install or would emerge -u world just bring you upto the latest state?
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I lost my bet -- Or is it a cold day in hell yet?
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d3c3it wrote:
will this just be like the other gentoo releases, ie download and compile everything from the net
or is X & kde *as exp* included on the cd, so you dont have to have a net connection to do the install?
Something that I have thought would be cool for a long time is a DVD that has a lot of the sources on it for basically as many packages as you can fit on a DVD. This would drastically cut down the time it takes to download all the comoponents that are needed to install. Howver, I still think that a net connection would be a very nice thing to have if you are going to be running gentoo. ;-)
Quote:
also will there be any point starting a new gentoo install or would emerge -u world just bring you upto the latest state?
No, as mentioned in detail on these forums as well as in the GWN, releases really don't matter all that much to a Gentoo user as most of the improvements in the release are improvements that you would see only in a new release are improvements to the livecd.
paranode
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masseya wrote:
Something that I have thought would be cool for a long time is a DVD that has a lot of the sources on it for basically as many packages as you can fit on a DVD.

That is cool. I want one!
LosD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:

Technically, yes...

I think that we agree that there is no heaven or hell, and as there is no molecules to vibrate, there is no heat, and so, VERY cold! ;)

Dennis
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LosD wrote:
Lovechild wrote:

Technically, yes...

I think that we agree that there is no heaven or hell, and as there is no molecules to vibrate, there is no heat, and so, VERY cold! ;)

Dennis

Ah, we are in agreement - I think it's kinda fun that DRobbins announced this for release for LinuxExpo 02 - and now a year later it's actually going to be set free.
LosD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:

Ah, we are in agreement - I think it's kinda fun that DRobbins announced this for release for LinuxExpo 02 - and now a year later it's actually going to be set free.

Oh well... Better finished than just released... :)
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LosD wrote:
Lovechild wrote:

Technically, yes...

Dennis

Well there is another analysis, which can be found here and many other places on the web, but here it is:

A thermodynamics professor had written a take home exam for his graduate students. It had one question:

"Is hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)? Support your answer with a proof."

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools off when it expands and heats up when it is compressed) or some variant. One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we postulate that if souls exist, then they must have some mass. If they do, then a mole of souls can also have a mass. So, at what rate are souls moving into hell and at what rate are souls leaving?

I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.

As for souls entering hell, lets look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to hell. Since, there are more than one of these religions and people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all people and all souls go to hell.

With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change in volume in hell. Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in hell to stay the same, the ratio of the mass of souls and volume needs to stay constant.

Thus, there are two possibilities:

1. If hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter hell, then the temperature and pressure in hell will increase until all hell breaks loose.

2. If hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in hell, than the temperature and pressure will drop until hell freezes over.

If we accept the postulate given to me by a young lady during my first year, "It will be a cold night in Hell before I sleep with you", and take into account the fact that I still have not succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then number 2 above is not true and so Hell is exothermic.

The student received the only "A" given.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Response from a Professor of Classics at U. Iowa

Now, in Dante's description, upper Hell has regions of intense heat/falling flame, etc, while the very bottom is in fact a frozen lake. This would suggest that while upper hell is largely static, lower hell is rapidly expanding and/or accomodates fewer souls. Since the bottom contains Satan and the worst sinners, the latter explanation (fewer souls) would seem to apply, whereas simply being in the wrong religion would be accomodated above, hence the more intense heat.

The student is clearly right.
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masseya wrote:
d3c3it wrote:
Something that I have thought would be cool for a long time is a DVD that has a lot of the sources on it for basically as many packages as you can fit on a DVD. This would drastically cut down the time it takes to download all the comoponents that are needed to install. Howver, I still think that a net connection would be a very nice thing to have if you are going to be running gentoo. ;-)
Quote:
No, as mentioned in detail on these forums as well as in the GWN, releases really don't matter all that much to a Gentoo user as most of the improvements in the release are improvements that you would see only in a new release are improvements to the livecd.

i just found this actually on linux compatible
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/experimental/x86/livecd/
is this gentoo+kde/gnome run off the cd or an install with kde+gnome for offline users?
lisa
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:

I think we're doing OK as long as we're before Duke Nukem Forever. :D
senectus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Amen to that!

So.. anything majorly different about this release? Or is it just (bah nothing gentoo is "just") a successfull 1.4 RC4 release?
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d3c3it wrote:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/experimental/x86/livecd/
is this gentoo+kde/gnome run off the cd or an install with kde+gnome for offline users?
I haven't used any of those CDs and thus, I can't really tell you what they are all about. There's a quick way to answer this question for yourself though by downloading the CDs and attempting to use them. I don't know if these are the CDs they will be handing out at LinuxExpoWorld or not. More than likely, those CDs aren't finalized yet.
aethyr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... sounds familiar...

Gentoo Linux Reloaded, by Daniel Robbins, 10/10/2002 wrote:
In this article, I'll try to explain what Gentoo Linux is all about and also tantilize you with all the neat things we have in the works for Gentoo Linux 1.4, which we're currently developing and should be available from our Web site (at http://www.gentoo.org/) by the time you read this article.

Gentoo Weekly Newsletter: December 30th, 2002 wrote:
Daniel Robbins recently announced the planned Release Schedule for Gentoo 1.4_rc3, which will hopefully be released as Gentoo 1.4_final. While the Release Shedule is subject to change based on bugs and user feedback, the current release date is planned for January 14, 2003, just in time for Linux World 2003 in New York. New for Gentoo is a more formal release process, comprised of five main stages that take the 1.4_rc3/1.4_release candidate through a testing and QA process that should improve the quality and stability of the final system.

hehe, third time's a charm?
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masseya wrote:
d3c3it wrote:
I haven't used any of those CDs and thus, I can't really tell you what they are all about. There's a quick way to answer this question for yourself though by downloading the CDs and attempting to use them. I don't know if these are the CDs they will be handing out at LinuxExpoWorld or not. More than likely, those CDs aren't finalized yet.

done, just awaiting to be burnt, i just wondered why i had'nt heard about the cds on the boards or gentoo front page, likly because its experimental but you know :)
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aethyr wrote:
Well, you know that they haven't been working on the 1.4 release this whole time. It's a secret plot to take over the world economy. Everytime you install off one of the new livecds it will automatically detect your bank accounts and have all the funds in them transferred to Gentoo Technologies. Oh wait, that's a different OS where they are always talking about the latest release, which, incidentally, is also mostly meaningless to the current users of that OS. lol.. :-)
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masseya wrote:
aethyr wrote:
Well, you know that they haven't been working on the 1.4 release this whole time. It's a secret plot to take over the world economy. Everytime you install off one of the new livecds it will automatically detect your bank accounts and have all the funds in them transferred to Gentoo Technologies. Oh wait, that's a different OS where they are always talking about the latest release, which, incidentally, is also mostly meaningless to the current users of that OS. lol.. :-)

Thats a bug fix isn't it? os to br0ke, simply give the old 1 a new skin and sell it for double the price :)
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrooch wrote:
I hope they will be availeble on the servers soon after the expo.

We should have files up before the expo.
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d3c3it wrote:
masseya wrote:
d3c3it wrote:
Quote:

Running off the CD.

However, 1.4 will include GRP. GRP is binary packages for various applications. Take a look at the thread (I don't have it handy) in Gentoo Chat requesting comments on additions to GRP. It links to the current GRP file lists.
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

senectus wrote:
LOL Amen to that!

So.. anything majorly different about this release? Or is it just (bah nothing gentoo is "just") a successfull 1.4 RC4 release?

- GRP
- auto CFLAGS generation
- genkernel

Those are the big ones...
sumC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to the removal of the tmpfs dependency?

avenj wrote:
senectus wrote:
LOL Amen to that!

- GRP
- auto CFLAGS generation
- genkernel

Those are the big ones...
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gone in the most recent baselayout.

Instead depends on a R/W /var/lib... Not neccessarily true on CDs!

Bring back tmpfs!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: