A GRUB sticky
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:06 am    Post subject: A GRUB sticky Reply with quote

After reading the first couple of lines of this I immedieatley thought it was going to be a post about GRUB or bootloaders in general as people have problems with boot loaders all the time and it's nearly always a simple problem.
What do you think people? Is a GRUB sticky required?

Puggy

EDIT: Reading through the install guide I just can't understand how it can be ambigous or difficult to understand. The only thing I can think is that people just aren't reading it properly. *despairs*
searcher
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should instruct more people to use lilo ;) But a bootloader sticky would be nice, but any more straightforward then the install guide?? If people don't read the guide, they will not bother with the sticky, at least i wouldn't.
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

searcher wrote:
Maybe we should instruct more people to use lilo ;) But a bootloader sticky would be nice, but any more straightforward then the install guide?? If people don't read the guide, they will not bother with the sticky, at least i wouldn't.

I don't think lilo really makes it any easier other than the mapping, which is literally a look up table job anyway. This would probably lead to an even greater number of posts caused by people not running lilo after recompiling the kernel. This would be a (see below) use for the checklist, e.g.
  • Ah, I've recompiled my kernel and it doesn't work.
  • Look at install guide checklist
  • Ah, I forgot to run lilo again
  • Problem solved

The problem is that the majotiry of people creating the huge number of duplicate posts are blindly following the guide so they don't even bother to try and understand it before posting. Maybe what's really needed is a "make sure you've done this" checklist on the install guide, or perhaps as you go through the steps each one has a hyperlink to an explanation of what is actually going on. Many of them we wouldn't even need to write as the man pages explain them quite well. For example, I've recently had a very long thread with a Mandrake user who didn't understand quite what mounting was all about because Mandrake had hidden what really was happening. If he could have read a little "This is what mount really does and why" paragraph, it would have saved a lot of grief.

Puggy
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A problem with sticky posts is that if there are too many, they will be ignored. An option could be to add a FAQ entry as well. I've thought about putting a sticky in the Installing forum that asks people to read the Guide again, then see the FAQs.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: