Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
emerge update world adn i kinda goofed?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 1:59 am    Post subject: emerge update world adn i kinda goofed? Reply with quote

i ran emerge --update world --pretend and it listed one new and 4 update packages including mozilla...i ran it cuz i saw where it was giving errors to some and i just wanted to see...well i ran the emerge --update world and it downloaded and installed everything fine...at the end though it says 11 config files need updating adn gave instructions on how to find them which i did...i went to /etc/init.d first and created a new directory to move the 3 cfg0000 files it created so i could rename them after comparing them to the originals and then change their names and copy them back into init.d proper...well i used the mv ._cfg0000_bootmisc /new_configs and when i cd'd to the new_configs directory there wasnt anything there....i have then lost three of the new config files localmount , bootmisc , and checkfs but the originals remain and i am on the system now...what if anthing should i or can i do rather then feel stupid.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can figure out what packages those files were from, then emerge them again...
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i think i got it figured out .....i just screwed the mv command all together....but most all of the config files on my sstem witht he exception of X and net were pretty much default i belive...well and shadow i left alone.
did recompile the kernel again and reconfigure X to go to a gf3 and lose the radeon 8500....glxgears was 460fps with the radeon ans 11,000fps with the gf3....LOL...ATi really should think of hiring software developers and writing driver support for their hardware...note to self...drop e mail to ATi and suggest addition of driver developement department to enhance their hardware department.
justus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 7:01 am    Post subject: Here's what I do... Reply with quote

I usually just for a quick:
Code:
diff ._cfg0000_bootmisc bootmisc

Changing the file names to match the config files that should be replaces. This will give you a list of the differences without having to do much...

Anything with a "<" in front of it comes from the first file and anything with a ">" comes from the second file.

Usually after doing that I can tell that the only changes are the changes that I made.

Justin T
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhhh....very helpful....thanks...i read them all over and over...lo...but in my case being new to it iand all prolly need to read them once

just for clarity < and > the way youve descirbed meaning < original file before the emerge --updae world was run or how youve typed it above....< being the ._cfg0000_bootmisc file (first in the code string)
justus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 5:30 pm    Post subject: No problem... Reply with quote

Don't worry about asking questions or having problems... we were all newbies once too :)

It's based on the way you type them in.

diff ._cfg0000_bootmisc bootmisc
< >

Something like that :)

Have fun :)

Justin T
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks....its alot of information to wade through when your not sure whats what....but i am getting better i think..lol
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: