The Conrad Linux Distribution Project! Development Thread
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: The Conrad Linux Distribution Project! Development Thread Reply with quote

Conrad Linux Development Thread! - Coming late 2007/early 2008 - An alpha/beta will be released before then.
(Name subject to change still)

Hello everyone, while thoffmeyer is going to maintain the new conrad guide, I'm going to maintain no-sources still (also cos-sources for Conrad Linux).

Conrad Linux is an INDEPENDENT linux distribution based off of gentoo linux (It will be PARTIALLY based off of the conrad guide V5), it will be more bleeding edge than your typical gentoo-based distribution, but the only reason for that is because it will use ~x86 instead of x86, the CFLAGS and LDFLAGS will be stable.

The Distribution will be an installable LiveCD, it will likely use the gentoo/sabayon install script. It will be a 700mb CD.

The goal is to make a gentoo-based distribution that everyone will love. Sabayon is wildly popular, mainly because it's gentoo-based (easy gentoo is popular), and it uses XGL.

This will be gentoo-based, conrad-based, and it will use einit and paludis, replacing sysvinit and portage. The desktop will probably be KDE4.

Post features you'd like to see! Feaure List Coming Soon!

Also, the conrad guide won't go extinct because of this, thoffmeyer is in charge of that, I'll be in charge of this.[/b]
Lost in android development land.
longhorn49
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: awesome Reply with quote

i am very excited for this, cant wait to try it :D
Telexen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great.

I would like to see a version (stripped down if it has to be) that would fit on a 512mb USB flash drive. There's a lot of them out there, but most either lack decent hardware detection or won't even boot for me =\
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm excited for this too, development has begun!

I was misunderstood though, I will not use sabayon's installer because supposedly he uses a slow anaconda now, instead of the tweaked GLI/CLI.

All that's final about this CD so far:
1) Installed with GLI/CLI if desired
2) On a CD not a DVD or anything like that, it won't be big and bloated.
3) Paludis as package manager replacing portage, new init system replacing sysvginit (likely einit)

Telexen wrote:
Sounds great.

I would like to see a version (stripped down if it has to be) that would fit on a 512mb USB flash drive. There's a lot of them out there, but most either lack decent hardware detection or won't even boot for me =\

The CD version is going to be about 700mb.

In it's early stages there will be no flash drive version, after it establishes some ground there will be room for that.
Paapaa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, what is the actual point of this? Why would a user choose Conrad Linux instead of using Gentoo? What will Conrad provide which can't be accomlished with Gentoo?
buddabrod
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paapaa wrote:
Um, what is the actual point of this? Why would a user choose Conrad Linux instead of using Gentoo? What will Conrad provide which can't be accomlished with Gentoo?
Main difference is imo that you get a system without portage and that python stuff and a very good init system. It's and overall bleeding edge system which is supposed to be more responsive than a standard (gentoo) linux sytem.
Ishiki
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just curious... what do you want to make such a distribution ?
I use Gentoo and i can do eveything that you mentioned in the previous posts easily, like KDE4, einit, paludius, ~x86, ...
Why someone would need to install another distro to perform those actions ?
Gentoo has a nice and powerfull support, documentation, and portage ported from *BSDs.
What Conrad Linux will have ?
Paapaa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buddabrod wrote:
Paapaa wrote:
Main difference is imo that you get a system without portage and that python stuff and a very good init system. It's and overall bleeding edge system which is supposed to be more responsive than a standard (gentoo) linux sytem.

I think most this can be done easily without another distro - you can use Paludis, ext4, reiser4, einit, ~arch etc. with regular Gentoo. Like I said elsewhere my stand is this: usually forks only waste resources (developers).

What I'd like to see is more developers joining the Gentoo project. The more we get devs the faster Gentoo can evolve to fulfill various needs. I'd rather see only 10 different distros with lots of developers. Now we have like 300+ distros and most of them get nowhere and will die. It is quite easy to see that N/10 > N/300.

But if this is what you want to do: good luck! And if plan to ditch the plan: Gentoo is always in need of good developers!
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paapaa wrote:

It will take the user out of the box basically from gentoo. If you install gentoo (GLI) , nothing is documented about alternative package managers, init systems, ~* trees, the conrad overlays (of course), etc.

It's going to feature the conrad overlays with an upgrade script. (gcc 4.2.1 patched, glibc 2.6 patched, etc),
Kernel-Wise it's going to feature a much more featureful patch to the linux kernel (More wifi support, FS support, with some cleanup patches to clean up the code, etc)
Graphical wise It's going to feature a "light" KDE desktop (not the full thing, more of a basic version), it's also going to feature a very customized ob3/light WM
Installer-Wise, it's un determined which install we'll use, maybe an ncurses-based installer, maybe the GLI, it's in the air.
Ease of use wise - It's going to feature some great features conrad v5 will have, the install requires some manual work right now, this will be easy to install

It's a nice piece of work, that you can install (like all the other gentoo-based distributions), it will be a lot more optimized for performance (stable though, not any experimental flags), it will be more up to date, etc.

So it all CAN be accomplished with gentoo (the conrad guide), it will feature some exclusives though.

I'm not going to talk about much else, because nothing is finalized yet so I can't exactly give all of the features to you, but it's going to have some more flare than gentoo, be more up to date than the gentoo installer CD, etc.
Non_E
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Conrad linux Reply with quote

I do not see much benefit from making "gentoo based" linux distributions. There are several ways of installing gentoo - GUI installer, stage1, customized overlays with fine tuned *FLAGS, kernels or custom themes... However there is one mutual base - portage. When I wrote portage I did not mean the python script, I meant all the ebuild stuff and corresponding network infrastructure.

On the other hand I understand that there might come a moment in a linux hacker's life when he wants to create a new distribution. It is probably kind of a challenge... can't say because I am no linux hacker :-) I wish you good luck cheater. I probably won't install conrad linux while my fine-tuned gentoo (thanks to you too) I spent weeks and months improving does not suffer from any problem. However I will be eager to see any new cool stuff and will try to merge it into my gentoo.
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Conrad linux Reply with quote

Non_E wrote:
I do not see much benefit from making "gentoo based" linux distributions. There are several ways of installing gentoo - GUI installer, stage1, customized overlays with fine tuned *FLAGS, kernels or custom themes... However there is one mutual base - portage. When I wrote portage I did not mean the python script, I meant all the ebuild stuff and corresponding network infrastructure.

On the other hand I understand that there might come a moment in a linux hacker's life when he wants to create a new distribution. It is probably kind of a challenge... can't say because I am no linux hacker :-) I wish you good luck cheater. I probably won't install conrad linux while my fine-tuned gentoo (thanks to you too) I spent weeks and months improving does not suffer from any problem. However I will be eager to see any new cool stuff and will try to merge it into my gentoo.

:) , There are several ways of installing gentoo, this will be an installer like gentoo, but the gentoo installer is so bland and outdated and not worth it IMO.

There's no reason advanced gentoo users couldn't use this CD (More than once, with my gentoo development and tests, my FS has corrupted or something, and I needed a quick fix, but there's no CD that can give me a quick fix)

But, gentoo is the best distribution in my personal opinion, source is the way to go, you can turn it into anything you want. A lot of people are looking for gentoo, a lot of them are leaving because they don't understand it fully. This CD will be used by a lot of newer gentoo users (I'm prepared to help loads of people get started with gentoo for this project), but I want to make a CD where they can understand all the capabilities of gentoo and that it's more than it appears in the documentation.

I'm not comfortable with the term distribution :-p, I call it an install CD, but everybody else has made their gentoo a "distribution"

So I'm not considering this a distribution, but it will be released as one, I don't consider it a distribution but everyone else does, this is just a CONRAD Install CD (I've had plans for awhile, Toby X), that is the conrad way of gentoo on an installable CD, that's why I can't answer your distribution questions well, I don't consider it a distribution but it will be labeled as one by most people.

There were a lot before me like sabayon (most popular), kororaa (?), phaeronix (dead), VLOS (not free/bad?). None of them are what I want to do though, they all consider themselves independend linux distributions, I don't, and I don't consider conrad an independent linux distribution because It relies on gentoo 100%, all the gentoo trees, etc.
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, People, go to #conrad on irc.freenode, Talk there, IRC is good!
totedati
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Conrad linux Reply with quote

cheater1034 wrote:

I'm not comfortable with the term distribution :-p, I call it an install CD, but everybody else has made their gentoo a "distribution"

So I'm not considering this a distribution, but it will be released as one, I don't consider it a distribution but everyone else does, this is just a CONRAD Install CD (I've had plans for awhile, Toby X), that is the conrad way of gentoo on an installable CD, that's why I can't answer your distribution questions well, I don't consider it a distribution but it will be labeled as one by most people.

hmmm ... a very good and realist point of view ... a distro imply a lot of things ... most difficult of it is supporting it and resolving users complaints. when you are few or only one dev's this is a impossible task ... better to tell to all future users that this is not a distro, only a more quick way to get a gentoo install done right ...

cheater1034 wrote:

There were a lot before me like sabayon (most popular), kororaa (?), phaeronix (dead), VLOS (not free/bad?). None of them are what I want to do though, they all consider themselves independend linux distributions, I don't, and I don't consider conrad an independent linux distribution because It relies on gentoo 100%, all the gentoo trees, etc.

sabayon also is 100% gentoo based, and like you small custom overlay, sabayon also have a tinny distinct sabayon overlay, and dev's is proud about that ... a lot of bleeding edge features is now working using only this little sabayon overlay, and many beginner linux users are happy that now can try the gentoo way ... but is sad that gentoo dev's can't understand this and treat sabayon distro as something different ... and they don't want to answer & help or fix any bug that pop up from a sabayon GENTOO installs

for me, as an almost 6 months sabayon linux ONLY user, can claim that sabayon is only a gentle introduction to gentoo world. easy to follow by not so skilled linux users and by linux users with better things to do in their free time ...

i wish you good luck and success with this 'Conrad Linux' gentoo install cd ...

and if, in time, you want to do more, maybe can try to look if how sabayon try to do things can help you and, why not, try to join and help sabayon dev's to make sabayon linux a better gentoo distro
linux is not ready for desktop? try sabayon!
linux registered user #352479
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: